What chain oil do you use

jugheaddave

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured out the problem - lube!

See, we lube our chains, then they attract dust and dirt, and that destroys the drivetrain. If we kept our chains dry we wouldn't have the problem. Makes sense right? Chain lube is all a big conspiracy created by Shimano so we'd have to replace our groupsets every few years!

Squirt normally and Finishline WetLube for em real muddy days!

The trick with FinishLine Wet is to wipe off the excess thoroughly after applying. It does take some time and effort (not for everyone), but in 15 years of using it and periodically trying others, I still swear by the stuff for both MTB and road use.

If even a little messy is not your thing though, stick with dry lubes.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/netalogue/photos/large/GJJCLCSWA.jpg

Oh...so you changed brands..

http://paulm.com/pix/2004/09/30/ky_jelly_fake_ad.jpg

Thumbs%20Up

Tried Finish line's dry - like it but not the wet solution (messes all over)' date=' thinking of trying Caltex motor oil .... does that work .....hehehhehe

No seriously Finish Line Dry works for me !!!

"DTThumbs%20Up"

Shell Turbo Diesel Oil.Thumbs%20Up Make sure you wipe the excess off.

Not any better than other lubes but no worse either.

[/quote']

As has been mentioned; this has been discussed before but....

This is a (bad) pic of my chain/front der after this year's Stellenbosch MTB mudfest.  With the chain lube I use I got zero chainsuck (as did I the year before and the year before that under even worse conditions)

20081205_020942_chain.jpg

Oh yes, the lube was WD 40.  Have used it on my road bike and MTB (in all conditions) for the past 4 years.
HomerSimpson2008-12-05 02:25:44

I have used White Lightning, Rock n Roll (gold and red) and found them all to get dry quite quickly.

For me i rate Roehloff (spelling) as the best i have used for keeping my chain running smoothly.  Converted a couple of mates and they also agree that it works better than the above.

I find you need very little lube on the road bike - that said I run with White lightening as it does a job and doesn't cause much buildup.

For the Mtb I use Motorex - it does pick up gunk, but man on man does it keep things running well! They do a dry and wet version for different conditions. I also carry some wet lube in a nasal spray bottle to sort things out when a race has lots of river crossings.

PS: I think Squirt is absolute garbage, used it twice and never ever again!