Cape Town Traffic!!!!!!!

Hendrik_S

You okes crack me up.  Only entertainment for 11 months of the year is checking your bank balance on the internet between posting crap on the hub' date=' and then you rush down to the Cape once a year and hand us all your cash.

Not even being rude, "clicky" and providing crap service can prevent you from coming. I tell you, we are geniuses, you just don't want to believe it.

[/quote']

HAHAHAHHAHA

LOLLOLLOL

ClapClapClap

LOL

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You okes crack me up.  Only entertainment for 11 months of the year is checking your bank balance on the internet between posting crap on the hub' date=' and then you rush down to the Cape once a year and hand us all your cash.

Not even being rude, "clicky" and providing crap service can prevent you from coming. I tell you, we are geniuses, you just don't want to believe it.

[/quote']

so true!! But someone has to feed the baboons!!!WinkLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

[/quote']

Must be the great accents that make us flock down there.....

Last time I was there for a "holiday" was in '95.....before I even lived here.

Since then I have been passing through on my way to somewhere else....all I can remember is cold, miserable weather and on a few occasions rain was added to the winning mix... God I wish I lived there.....LOL

all I can remember is cold' date=' miserable weather and on a few occasions rain was added to the winning mix... God I wish I lived there.....[/quote']

I think that was actually the summer of 95.

all I can remember is cold' date=' miserable weather and on a few occasions rain was added to the winning mix... God I wish I lived there.....[/quote']

I think that was actually the summer of 95.

Don't joke.....Aug '95, coming from Mombassa none of us expected what we found in CT. Frikkin freezing...had to spend money like crazy to make a family of 4 mildly comfortable

And I lied....last holiday was in '96 :) Think we got blown away that time.... LOL

[

Here's something to get you started. Just don't slow down the traffic!!!LOL
20081205_051459_Pick_and_hoe.jpg

That will explain why it takes so long to get construction done. In Gauteng we use this

20081205_054321_f_179665_HLV.jpg
scotty2008-12-05 05:45:03

Dont bank on seeing Chapmans peak open for a very long time, if ever. The road is almost totally ruined from all of the failed attempts to stabilise the rock above it.

The real problem was in fact alien vegitation taking over and claiming the space that the fynbos used to take. This fynbos was holding the surface together. Then Bombela and their bright sparks decided to lever off every losse rock they could find, letting them pound the road to bits when they fell off. Behind each loose rock, is another. So they did a nice little kick back deal with an overseas crowd to install attractive steel nets to catch the rocks. Then they gunnited the entire face, so it looks like the lost city!

In the meantime, they kept letting trucks through, and the road has parts that are falling down the cliff face. IMO Chapmans is ruined for good. It has been mismanaged and bungled. Past the point of return I think, especially since the Cape town city budget is stretched so thinly thanks to the stadiums' costs.

So every day, more and more grass grows out of the cracks in the road, and nature reclaims these things very fast. I was up there the other day and was shocked at the damage. Btw, this is what has happened to Tafel road, at the cable station. 

I live in stellenbosch! had to go to town for a meeting!

You obviously have not driven in JHB lately; I've also been travelling to CT from Stellenbosch quite a bit this week, and while the traffic was a bit slow on the N2, at least it was mostly moving; there was a congestion close to the M3 junction, but that's only like 1 km of frustration?  My last trip to JHB (that was in August) made me realise that we have no real conception of rush hour traffic down here in the CapeConfused  I quite honestly don't know how people can do that every day! 
HomerSimpson2008-12-05 05:48:55

Dont bank on seeing Chapmans peak open for a very long time' date=' if ever. The road is almost totally ruined from all of the failed attempts to stabilise the rock above it. The real problem was in fact alien vegitation taking over and claiming the space that the fynbos used to take. This fynbos was holding the surface together. Then Bombela and their bright sparks decided to lever off every losse rock they could find, letting them pound the road to bits when they fell off. Behind each loose rock, is another. So they did a nice little kick back deal with an overseas crowd to install attractive steel nets to catch the rocks. Then they gunnited the entire face, so it looks like the lost city! In the meantime, they kept letting trucks through, and the road has parts that are falling down the cliff face. IMO Chapmans is ruined for good. It has been mismanaged and bungled. Past the point of return I think, especially since the Cape town city budget is stretched so thinly thanks to the stadiums' costs. So every day, more and more grass grows out of the cracks in the road, and nature reclaims these things very fast. I was up there the other day and was shocked at the damage. Btw, this is what has happened to Tafel road, at the cable station.?

[/quote']

There's the point. The rest is true but irrelevant, IMNSHO

The best part is that eventually, it will be a jeep track in a couple of years, so we'll have more trails to ride, possibly even a single track, which will rock!

You obviously have not driven in JHB lately; I've also been travelling to CT from Stellenbosch quite a bit this week' date=' and while the traffic was a bit slow on the N2, at least it was mostly moving; there was a congestion close to the M3 junction, but that's only like 1 km of frustration?  My last trip to JHB (that was in August) made me realise that we have no real conception of rush hour traffic down here in the CapeConfused  I quite honestly don't know how people can do that every day! 
[/quote']

Read somewhere ( I tried to find it, but can't) that Gauteng has grown from 4.5 Million to over 10.5 Million people in 5 years!! How correct this information is I am not sure, but judging from the traffic & land development, I can believe it.

What's sad is that with all the new housing going up at an enormous pace, Churches and most importantly Police Stations, Schools & Varsties and not growing to handle this new demand!!

You obviously have not driven in JHB lately; I've also been travelling to CT from Stellenbosch quite a bit this week' date=' and while the traffic was a bit slow on the N2, at least it was mostly moving; there was a congestion close to the M3 junction, but that's only like 1 km of frustration?  My last trip to JHB (that was in August) made me realise that we have no real conception of rush hour traffic down here in the CapeConfused  I quite honestly don't know how people can do that every day! 
[/quote']

Read somewhere ( I tried to find it, but can't) that Gauteng has grown from 4.5 Million to over 10.5 Million people in 5 years!! How correct this information is I am not sure, but judging from the traffic & land development, I can believe it.

What's sad is that with all the new housing going up at an enormous pace, Churches and most importantly Police Stations, Schools & Varsties and not growing to handle this new demand!!

Dont forget neglecting road, water, and electricity infrastructure. Most of the housing is in the form of towhouses and clusters. Municiplaity is rubbing stamping new development as its additional revenue in their pockets.

Yep, all those important factors to keep the economy turning. I really think these large developers should contribute towards these infrastuctures. after all, they benefit from the sales.

Ok, I better run before I get donnerd!!

[/quote']

Jokes aside, i've only been in the Cape for a few years. I bought a townhouse in 1999 in Radiokop, Honeydew area. Our unit was literally on the western edge of town, with only plots between us and the R28.

Went back for a visit last year and was shocked at the magnitude of the development. Between our old house and the R28 it was a solid sea of complexes, and thats just the western edge of Joburg.