Ever felt like this before??

Windbreaker

So this morning I'm out there on my third ride after a long lay off. Goal is to do Red Hill "there and back" hard so that I can compare the power numbers with those from rides before the layoff.

From Glencairn side it's solo all the way and I pass one or two slower guys. Battling to keep focussed. It's a hard push, but not too bad. Carry on over and down to Scarborough to get enough recovery time.

Turn around and think to myself ... ok I'll just try and maintain the upper end of threshold (what is was before the layoff) and see how it goes. As I hit the left hand bend I see a huge oke on a MTB about 100m ahead. Must've come from Cape Pt side. He is cruising so it takes me about 30s to catch him. He hears me coming and without looking speeds up a bit, but is still slightly below what I want to do. I can see that this guy is no palooka. 

Mmm what to do?? Pass him and he thinks that I am being windgat, but I really have no choice so I pass and greet (and in the back of my mind I think to myself - just tell him that you are riding to training zones and he will let you go).

The inevitable happens. I can almost hear him thinking "I'm not letting this roadie get away". He puts on the pressure to repass, and I match him, he weakens and I put the pressure on etc. etc. Soon I'm just above 4w/kg and we hold that all the way to the top with him matching me (and not draughting either). Note that he is also at 4w/kg if he is riding at my speed on the same section of road. The whole time there is the whining of those f****ing MTB wheels just to remind me that he is right there.

Ok, almost at the top and I give it everything - 400w average for 30s and he doesn't respond. Yes please!! So we cruise down and at the bottom we chat.

You training for the Epic?

Ja, but battling to get the miles in.

Finding the time must be difficult?

Ja, but this morning is ok - got 4 hours in so far............................

I'm sure he could hear my ego deflating with the sound that balloons make.  So now I'm hoping that I'll find out that he is a pro (or something) LOL

So this morning I'm out there on my third ride after a long lay off. Goal is to do Red Hill "there and back" hard so that I can compare the power numbers with those from rides before the layoff.

From Glencairn side it's solo all the way and I pass one or two slower guys. Battling to keep focussed. It's a hard push' date=' but not too bad. Carry on over and down to Scarborough to get enough recovery time.

Turn around and think to myself ... ok I'll just try and maintain the upper end of threshold (what is was before the layoff) and see how it goes. As I hit the left hand bend I see a huge oke on a MTB about 100m ahead. Must've come from Cape Pt side. He is cruising so it takes me about 30s to catch him. He hears me coming and without looking speeds up a bit, but is still slightly below what I want to do. I can see that this guy is no palooka. 

Mmm what to do?? Pass him and he thinks that I am being windgat, but I really have no choice so I pass and greet (and in the back of my mind I think to myself - just tell him that you are riding to training zones and he will let you go).

The inevitable happens. I can almost hear him thinking "I'm not letting this roadie get away". He puts on the pressure to repass, and I match him, he weakens and I put the pressure on etc. etc. Soon I'm just above 4w/kg and we hold that all the way to the top with him matching me (and not draughting either). Note that he is also at 4w/kg if he is riding at my speed on the same section of road. The whole time there is the whining of those f****ing MTB wheels just to remind me that he is right there.

Ok, almost at the top and I give it everything - 400w average for 30s and he doesn't respond. Yes please!! So we cruise down and at the bottom we chat.

You training for the Epic?

Ja, but battling to get the miles in.

Finding the time must be difficult?

Ja, but this morning is ok - got 4 hours in so far............................

I'm sure he could hear my ego deflating with the sound that balloons make.  So now I'm hoping that I'll find out that he is a pro (or something) LOL
[/quote'] Nice one WB, it amazes me how we all think the same way, i often do that to roadies whenever i get the chance but i'm sure it upped your ave wattage for that ride....LOL

Big%20smile

WB, you can at least console yourself with the fact that you're on your way back after a lay-off.

Yep I've got that dog chasing a stick mentality which is why I'm sitting here with blisters on both feet as a result of chasing someone down on Tues. night, blowing 2 tubes and having to walk back to the car in my socks. And that was the easy, easy ride before the Fast One.

Man.... he's so clever

Thanks Thug but when I look at my numbers they tell a story!! I was quite fresh (20 min warm up) so taking that into account I am off my previous form but they are not that bad meaning that this guy was STRONG (well relative to me anyway) See the Scarboro numbers below.

Sometimes you just gotta face facts. If I could do these numbers after a 4 hour ride I'd be very, very content.Approve.

Red Hill (Simonstown side):
 Duration:   15:35
 Work:       272 kJ
 TSS:        33.1 (intensity factor 1.129)
 Norm Power: 293
 VI:         1.01
 Distance:   5.122 km
                    Min       Max   Avg
 Power:        0          454    291  watts
 Heart rate:  141     184     177  bpm
 Cadence:      50        99      76  rpm
 Speed:        12.3    27.5    19.7  kph
 Pace            2:11   4:53     3:02  min/km
 Hub Torque:   0     31.3     18.1  lb-in
 Crank Torque: 0    72.6      36.9  N-m

Recovery:
 Duration:   8:38
 Work:       35 kJ
 TSS:        2.7 (intensity factor 0.434)
 Norm Power: 113
 VI:         1.66
 Distance:   5.995 km
                    Min       Max       Avg
 Power:           0       209        68  watts
 Heart rate:   114     183      138  bpm
 Cadence:        37       98        80  rpm
 Speed:           9.4     61.2     41.7  kph
 Pace             0:59    6:23     1:26  min/km
 Hub Torque:      0     16.7       2.4  lb-in
 Crank Torque:   0     47.2       8.5  N-m

Scarboro to top of Red Hill:
 Duration:   17:27
 Work:       288 kJ
 TSS:        33.2 (intensity factor 1.069)
 Norm Power: 278
 VI:         1.01
 Distance:   5.669 km
                        Min        Max       Avg
 Power:              62        529       275  watts
 Heart rate:      138        189      173  bpm
 Cadence:           53       108         74  rpm
 Speed:            12.6      30.4      19.5  kph
 Pace                1:58      4:46     3:05  min/km
 Hub Torque:       2.9      30.6     18.2  lb-in
 Crank Torque:      6       62.7     35.8  N-m

I got passed by a guy riding in tekkies and and a T-shirt on an ancient MTB this morning. I bet he is telling all his buddies how he whipped some roadie ass.

My favourite confession was a few months back on the Hub where a roadie said he was overtaken in a race by someone on a BMX.

Still, there's guys in our club think that no woman should finish ahead of them.

When you pass the labourer riding in tattered shoes on a old, brakeless Hypermarket special racer and seconds later you hear that creaking drivetrain and wobbly wheels coming up behind you again.....just let him pass!

You see, he's been riding that bike 30km to work every day for 25yrs.

Let him go just in case he might possibly open a can of WHUPPASS on you if you respond!

Happenned to me once. Had to swallow a lung after eventually dropping the guy!

Windbreaker, I feel the same way you do when passing ppl, I actually felt so bad that as I passed the one guy I turned to him and said: " I'm riding in Power Zones" He then kinda got this goofy expression on his face and smilled. Must?ve been thinking in the back of his head "wtf are you talking about" freak, the race is on!!. LOL<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

You'll know what I'm talking about, I had to stay in a zone, but going uphill?s I got slower with the same power and on the downhill?s I go faster with the same amount of power output so he must've thought I was trying to over take him on the downhill?s and he would then over take me on the ups again, jeeeesh how annoying!Dead

Minty, yep, so true about that one.. last thurs on my way home i passed a gardener-type oke on a nastyish little climb and next thing he held my wheel for a couple of kms

Oh TitusTi is going to luuuuurve reading this LOLWink

So this tale has a twist in it.

Didn't think that I was up for racing with the Vets just yet and decided to ride in my seeded group. Not that the C bunch aren't challenging enough - just that I wouldn't feel too bad if I slipped off the back of a "non-racing" group.

Anyway to get to the point. Had quite a hard ride and on the last leg of a fairly grueling ride, Ou Kaapse Weg, (again) I suddenly realise that the guy just in front of me is my buddy from Red Hill the other morning.

a) HE IS A ROADIE TOO!

b) On this occasion we both had the same time under the belt and again we were just as evenly matched.

I'm a happy roadie again!

Oh TitusTi is going to luuuuurve reading this LOLWink

So this tale has a twist in it.

Didn't think that I was up for racing with the Vets just yet and decided to ride in my seeded group. Not that the C bunch aren't challenging enough - just that I wouldn't feel too bad if I slipped off the back of a "non-racing" group.

Anyway to get to the point. Had quite a hard ride and on the last leg of a fairly grueling ride' date=' Ou Kaapse Weg, (again) I suddenly realise that the guy just in front of me is my buddy from Red Hill the other morning.

a) HE IS A ROADIE TOO!
b) On this occasion we both had the same time under the belt and again we were just as evenly matched.

I'm a happy roadie again!

[/quote']

Maybe he went training before the race?Maybe he was riding the ride in zones as training planning to do 3-4 more hours afterwards.

It can all happen I I came 3d once in student champs only joined the bunch again with 400m to go and sadly the pack opened up to late else I might have won. The winner turned pro(so ya feel big) but the guy coming 10th(5seconds behind us) changed to running shoes just after the ride and ran home 30 bloody k's.

Bis big brother did that once on a training camp run 35k's to get a newspaper in our language and then waste us on the 5hour training ride. Some people are machines accept it

It can all happen I I came 3d once in student champs only joined the bunch again with 400m to go and sadly the pack opened up to late else I might have won. The winner turned pro(so ya feel big) but the guy coming 10th(5seconds behind us) changed to running shoes just after the ride and ran home 30 bloody k's.

Sleepy

LOL!!! ja...this kind of thing happens far too often - ooh - i just love the look on some guys' faces when a GIRL passes themEvil%20SmileCool