Northern Farm Idiots

Scott24

This message goes out to all the idiots that ride the wrong way on the single track routes at Northern Farms and then still have the cheek to expect you (the person going the right way) to move off the track. You are a danger to all around you. When you enter a MTB race, have you ever been routed back against traffic on a single track? No - reason being.....it is dangerous.

And what is scary is that it is not only the takkie brigade who are guilty of this (which might be exusable) but club riders such as the 2 idiots from Cycle Lab on Saturday.

Come guys, lets follow the route markers as if we were in a race.....not that challenging a task.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said, I have had more than one close encounter....whats the point of paying for a safe ride if you have to dodge these clueless riders coming flat out from the front. Surely staring at the backside of all the direction markers must be a dead give away.... 

Experienced the same thing at Suikerbosrand, especially the short loopAngry

It really gets the adrenalin pumping when you are hurtling down a descent, entering a corner only to be confronted by a couple of idiots pushing their bikes in the wrong direction.

So I empathize with you there mate!

Interesting in Jonkershoek all the trais are mostly two way and the dudes going down need to give way the the ones comming up!!

I don't agree with this as I prefer gowing down. It's more fun. However the system works.

We have brakes don't we?? This also teaches you to be more alert on the trail.

this said............... if there are route markers then there is no excuse for going the wrong wat. Well at least in my books.

BUT WHO AM I TO SAY!!

I have given this some thought, as initially the guys coming up the single track confused and sometimes annoyed me a bit. But I figure it makes a lot more sense for the guys going down to give way, as gravity is in your favour - if you stop on a technical climb, it is very difficult to start cranking again, so it makes sense.

International bicycle ettiquette calls for the descenders to give way to ascenders. This has a calming effect on trails and prevents yahoos from commandeering trails through sheer speed. Works the same with horses, IIRC.

I would hate to get in the way of a guy coming down the single track. He has worked just as hard to get to the top only to be slowed down by me coming up the s-track.

We all know that coming down the single track is the funnest part of your ride (at least for me it is).

I figure it is the experienced guys that ride up the single track. I am certain most of them race. So is it really necessary to ride up the singe track? Do you ride up plenty of single track ( I refer to tokai style single track) during a race?

If the single track has a ramp then you obviously need momentum to tackle it...crap when you come around a bend only to stop 3m from a ramp for a dude riding up towards you.  Even if he gives way, you still have to slow down.

If we cross paths on the single track you will still get a hello, morning and a smile.Big%20smile

I think it is fair for people riding up the single track to move out of the way for the guys coming down, especially when the the directional arrow at the start of the single track is positioned at the top for descending riders and not at the bottom for ascending riders.

i yield and greet everyone on single track going up or down. Jonkers is a classic, at some points you can't fit a 2.3 tyre let alone stop and greet side by side, so common sense rules.... Confused

I would hate to get in the way of a guy coming down the single track. He has worked just as hard to get to the top only to be slowed down by me coming up the s-track.

We all know that coming down the single track is the funnest part of your ride (at least for me it is).

I figure it is the experienced guys that ride up the single track. I am certain most of them race. So is it really necessary to ride up the singe track? Do you ride up plenty of single track ( I refer to tokai style single track) during a race?

If the single track has a ramp then you obviously need momentum to tackle it...crap when you come around a bend only to stop 3m from a ramp for a dude riding up towards you.  Even if he gives way' date=' you still have to slow down.

If we cross paths on the single track you will still get a hello, morning and a smile.Big%20smile

I think it is fair for people riding up the single track to move out of the way for the guys coming down, especially when the the directional arrow at the start of the single track is positioned at the top for descending riders and not at the bottom for ascending riders.

[/quote']

so if the arrows at the bottom point up, then the people comming down should move out the way Big%20smile

Hey Scott24, I get annoyed too. But the signage at Northern Farm on the single track is poor. There are no signs at the "wrong end" indicating that a rider can't enter the track, so it will naturally take new users a while to get the feel of the right way. The signage could be improved easily.

Hey Scott24' date=' I get annoyed too. But the signage at Northern Farm on the single track is poor. There are no signs at the "wrong end" indicating that a rider can't enter the track, so it will naturally take new users a while to get the feel of the right way. The signage could be improved easily.[/quote']

Couldnt agree more.

I have a hard time figuring out any signs at NF. After every race they have, its more confusing.. The map they have, she not much help either..

Which is the accepted 'correct' direction? There are arrows in both directions (probably from previous races). I have generaly gone anti-clockwise around the farm which seems to be the direction followed by most cyclists.

If the single track has a ramp then you obviously need momentum to tackle it...crap when you come around a bend only to stop 3m from a ramp for a dude riding up towards you.  Even if he gives way' date=' you still have to slow down.

[/quote']

so if the arrows at the bottom point up, then the people comming down should move out the way Big%20smile

ya sure, if that's the case they have to change the direction of the ramps as well. There is nothing like catching a couple of ramps while u doing insane speeds uphill. LOL

Where I ride the biggest danger is brainless idiots on 'kwots' blasting through mielie fields which apart from being dangerous to mtbers also annoys farmers to the point that they dig trenches across the tracks!!!

Is it true that they give you a quad when you have your brain surgically removed?