Replaceing bolts with stainless

jugheaddave

Hi

Any issues with replacing some of the bolts o my bike with stainless?? especially bolts that hold caliper onto frame?

Why would you want to do something like that?

S/S is heavy than aluminium. I bought a set of S/S nuts and bolts for my bike rack on my trailer and they already starting to rust, so the quality of S/S today is not all that good. Rather get a set of Alu/Ti nuts and bults. They lighter and don't rust either.

That also P!sses me off you spend alot of money on ur componenants and they rust. I am very P!ssed about it. Chain ring bolts , caliper bolts seat post, and head set. I must say Campy super record does not rust, as for Campy cHORUS WHICH i HAVE, well................ This is not at all  to open a discussion on whether campy is worse or better than Shimano.

Why would you want to do something like that?

S/S is heavy than aluminium. I bought a set of S/S nuts and bolts for my bike rack on my trailer and they already starting to rust' date=' so the quality of S/S today is not all that good. Rather get a set of Alu/Ti nuts and bults. They lighter and don't rust either.
[/quote']

I was advised not to use alu or Ti for calipers aas there is a tremendous amount of force beinf applied to them and anything other then steel will not last. And the brakes is the last place you want to take short cuts on.

S/S is only stainless under certain conditions.

My favourite is when someone wipes the s/s with and oily rag.Guess what will happen.Rust.

Keep carbon steel,oil,chlorines,halogen,sulphur and a multitude of other products away from it and its fine....for its purpose at least.

And hereby do we invite the wrath of JB.

My favourite is when someone wipes the s/s with and oily rag.Guess what will happen.Rust.

Twit.

Keep carbon steel,oil,chlorines,halogen,sulphur and a multitude of

other products away from it and its fine....for its purpose at least.

Is that really true?

Keep carbon steel' date='oil,chlorines,halogen,sulphur and a multitude of

other products away from it and its fine....for its purpose at least.

Is that really true?

[/quote']

Dunno, but it seems mildly odd to me that you can order a tanker from Tanker Services, specifically to transport oil(animal, plant, or fossil based) in either stainless or mild steel...

There are different grades of Stainless Steel, the most common is 304. Which suprisingly - rusts relatively quickly.

The better option is 316, which doesnt rust very easily at all

BUT, who can tell the difference???

AND, when it coming from China, who is testing it to make sure it has the correct chemical composition...

(304 stainless bolts have a A4 stamped on them, where 316 bolts will have A2 stamped on them)

Remember Aluminium bolts are NOT strong, and should not be used in high stress applications (like brakes, handlebar, stem etc), rather go for Titanium (at a premium!)

Something to take into account is:

If you have a mild steel frame, and put stainless bolts through it, you have a "battery"

Remember school science - Two dissimilar metal joined together in the presence of an electrolyte (salty sea air), will result in a current between them.

This small electric current results in corrosion!

Someone advised Mampara not to use titanium or aluminium bolts on his brake calipers.

Hmmmm.. If it is a post-mount, the one bolt is in tension and the other in flexion (only if the tension bolt gives way). Therefore, if Mampara was a real weight weenie, he could have replaced the flexion bolt with aluminium and the tension bolt with Titanium and saved 17,5 grams. He would also have lopped off R52 000 off his pension fund at payout time in 2030.

There isn't such a tremendous force on these bolts. They're 6mm thick and I'm sure a 4mm bolt will still hold too.

After all, they're anchored in magnesium, not nearly as strong as the steel bolt.

I would give stainless steel bolts a go. If I lived at the sea, a spray of fresh water after each salty ride should suffice.

As for the battery theory....your current bolts are steel and your fork is magnesium....how many volts does that generate and to what effect?

As for the battery theory....your current bolts are steel and your fork is magnesium....how many volts does that generate and to what effect?

Although the voltage is small, it has a great affect on corrosion. This is based on the principle of the Anode & cathode.

Dont know if you can remember the experiment where you insert two dissimilar metals into a lemon, and connect the two ends of the metal (via a wire) to a small lightbulb, and there is enough current to light the bulb.

This is known as Electrochemical Corollary - a chemical reaction where Oxidation (rusting) takes place

Although the voltage is small' date=' it has a great affect on corrosion. This is based on the principle of the Anode & cathode.

Dont know if you can remember the experiment where you insert two dissimilar metals into a lemon, and connect the two ends of the metal (via a wire) to a small lightbulb, and there is enough current to light the bulb.

This is known as Electrochemical Corollary - a chemical reaction where Oxidation (rusting) takes place
[/quote']

I remember my chemistry reasonably well. But my question was "to what effect" and you'll see that the effect is negligible for any of the metals in question. Go ahead, put gold bolts in if you like. As it is, you're sitting with steel on aluminium and they come out reasonably easily. On The Hub we've only seen one case of a bolt that seized.

This battery is one of the reasons I replaced my amalgam fillings with porcelain. Now I can chew aluminium foil without any ill effects.