Scott vs. Giant vs. Spez vs. Yeti vs....

Sighnide

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tested the AnthemX1 and it really feels different and more relaxed than the older Anthem (which I have). The added advantage to the upgraded Anthem X1 is the bigger travel and more relaxed head angle. I can honestly say I can see myself peddling that bike for miles at one go with that geometry.

The Spark seems to be inline with most suspension designs (Spaz, Yeti, Cannondale, KHS, even Merida etc) and therefore should be great. Stay away from the Genius though.

Specialized - I would like to have one but the price is an issue. To support the comment on back shock. All I heard from 2 friends that rides Epics - they've been told the brain shock must be serviced every 3 months.

As an observer you will always get the colt followings if you buy Spesialized and Yeti. The Giant is mass produced by you never hear any bad reviews and the value for money can't be beaten.

For the money, ride and overall ability...the Giant. Pop into your CNA and have a look at the MTB mags. I think it's the latest What Mountain Bike that has a Giant / Spec / Marin and something else shootout. Worth a read.

UK Mags loving the Anthem. Get the yeti.

Or: Rocky Mountain Element

Or: Check out WMB review of Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL

How tall are you? If you're tall enough a 29'er would offer significant benefits' date=' and it opens up a whole range of other bikes other than the standard tupperware factory bikes.
[/quote'] I am 6'2. What other bikes? I like the 29er concept, never ridden one but read good things.

29'ers available here at the moment include:

Niner, OnOne, Orbea, Cannondale, Titus, Pivot, Specialized, Gary Fisher.

I think there are a few others as well but can't really remember right now, so you'll have the choice of boutique and mass produced in there.

the only realy benefit I see from riding a 29er is if you are very tall.

Do you have any other reasons?

I'm so pleased I don't have to make this decision for a while still.........Wacko  My personal call at the moment would be between the Gary Fisher HiFi or the SantaCruz Superlight, or, using your choices, the Specialized Epic.

Specialized - I would like to have one but the price is an issue. To support the comment on back shock. All I heard from 2 friends that rides Epics - they've been told the brain shock must be serviced every 3 months.

As an observer you will always get the colt followings if you buy Spesialized and Yeti. The Giant is mass produced by you never hear any bad reviews and the value for money can't be beaten.

I have a Brainy Epic and it never been serviced (the rear shock and brain)still works 100% and its about 56 months old.

Specialized are also mass produced and yes they are blarry ?ank expensive.

This answer will all depend on many factors. But remember that the make of the bike is one part of the equation. The components make-up the rest. The frame just pulls it all together.

When it comes to frames - according to me - list your criteria on seat and headset angles. The reason for this is that it will give you an indication on ability to climb (seat angle - 73 degrees seems to be norm for XC bikes) and headset angle (72 degrees for XC, 68 degrees will be more relaxed and trail or endurance bikes) on responsiveness of bike.

The suspension design and working is again personal preference and what you thing will work.

My answer to any person wanting to buy a bike is budget and which bike looks cool to you :-)

Interms of upgrading - all the bikes you mentioned are awesome canvasses for upgrading. But then again so is Ellsworth

i heard a rumour that bicycling will be having 4 more test ride days this year, with the first one coming up in the middle of Feb, so if you can hold on for a while, you can test most of them...

the only realy benefit I see from riding a 29er is if you are very tall.

Do you have any other reasons?

Rolls over objects better, more stable, fits 6 foot 3 monkeys better.

Go to Bridge cycle.

They will tell you how many time a SpecialK has been in for blown seals in the rear shock, they will tell you how many times a rear shock has completly failed.

That company cannot even build a relaiable non cracking road frame. Do you really want to put your ass on there stuff.

Anthem or Spark....

in months from now to come back to this very page, and read on what people have told you.

What about a Scalpel?

I have ridden the Specialized 29er that was far (and I mean far) to big for me and it still rode beatifully (incuding rockey singletracks, etc). For 29ers you might have issues finding components and stuff in ZA (think tires here).

Ride the different bikes and make your choice. You will know when it is the right fit for you

just a thought, the scott suspension design is a 'secound thought' after they couldn't get the rights to use the specialized horst link.

not that it's a bad design, but no marking hype will make it any better.

Go to Bridge cycle.

They will tell you how many time a SpecialK has been in for blown seals in the rear shock' date=' they will tell you how many times a rear shock has completly failed.

That company cannot even build a relaiable non cracking road frame. Do you really want to put your ass on there stuff.

Anthem or Spark....

in months from now to come back to this very page, and read on what people have told you.
[/quote']

Bridge cycle? Never heard of them and might be a bridge to far for me Wink

Well Schweiz is pretty much infested with Specializeds and I have yet to see or hear of a brain blowing or a frame cracking, not saying it does not happen, nothing is fail proof.

My 2005 Roubaix (road frame) still crack and creak free...