Why does Lance ride a 58cm size frame?

epoh

Me and Jason spoke about it the other day on a training ride and I was wondering whether anyone know why Lance rides a 58cm size frame ? He is about 1.80cm. Is it not too big or is there other factors to consider?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently he has a longer upper body and is more comfy on his 58cm rather than a 56 or even a 54 as his legs suggest he should ride

Me and Jason spoke about it the other day on a training ride and I was wondering whether anyone know why Lance rides a 58cm size frame ? He is about 1.80cm. Is it not too big or is there other factors to consider?

In one of the cycling mags a while ago they also reported that Bart Brentjens also rides a frame that is too small for him. The comment was that he rode with this size frame ever since he bagan cycling and are so used to it now that he cannot change to the correct size. Who will contest that Brentjens is not a worthy champ. Maybe it is NOT all about the bike????????

apparently he has a longer upper body and is more comfy on his 58cm rather than a 56 or even a 54 as his legs suggest he should ride

Cool, personal preference vs. what the book says.

I'm 1,8m and my Colnago is a 58cm. My Scott is a large, and says 56cm on the frame but is very similar sizing to my Colnago.

The major thing is the effective top tube length, which is 56-57cm on most 58cm frames. You'll see a lot of pros ride smaller bikes and then put ridiculously long stems on. Not sure why they do this, but it's safe to say pros are not always strictly logical in their approach.

Lance is quite traditional in his approach. Remember, Trek only dropped the horizontal top tube after he retired. He probably just shuns the pro fad of riding bikes that are too small.

Cool' date=' personal preference vs. what the book says. [/quote']

yup i am busy reading the book on his mindset how lance does it and it really is not about the bike but rather how he puts everything into perspective i actually think if you gave him a trek 1000 and shimano sora grouppo he would still be able to kick some serious A$$

?

In one of the cycling mags a while ago they also reported that Bart Brentjens also rides a frame that is too small for him. The comment was that he rode with this size frame ever since he bagan cycling and are so used to it now that he cannot change to the correct size. Who will contest that Brentjens is not a worthy champ. Maybe it is NOT all about the bike????????

I remember that, Big H. Fabian Cancellara is another one who rides a very small frame for his size.

That's odd. Why didn't he just tell Trek to make a 56 with an extra length top tube?

might i say hectic traditionalist??? smiley4.gif

Cause he is a dick. OK sorry about that.

Shame...... is this the best you can do???????

?

I remember that' date=' Big H. Fabian Cancellara is another one who rides a very small frame for his size. [/quote']

ya cancellara rides a 56 frame or something but even worse is jens voigt he rides the biggest bike made by cervelo and still rides an extra length seatpost and a 140mm stem (custom made) turtlek2009-01-12 03:04:36