Are we been taken for a ride as South Africans??

Deep Section

I have just been pricing the new Giant TCR Team from this site:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=17242&catID=47

which is going for 4,037.00 GBP at the current exchange rate equates to 60,376.32 ZAR. This does not include shipping or Tax(you may not have to pay the tax on the U.K price as it is an export) It does not come with pedal so there should be no import duties. I have heard that the South African RRP is just a little over 95K           

Can anyone shed some light on why we pay such prices for bikes in S.A?

??               smiley18.gif smiley5.gif Deep Section2009-01-12 08:37:12

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because we have never been consumers of any merit and we enjoy getting shafted and all this with bad service thrown in!! Welcome!

Haven't we had this thread in various forms over the last couple of months? 

It is the way it is, whinging about it isn't gonna change it.

Sorry, but there is no Giant TCR team for 2009.  You are comparing old stock with the new TCR Advanced SL, which retails for 6500 Euro.  MORE expensive than SA, so stop bitching....

Haven't we had this thread in various forms over the last couple of months??

?

It is the way it is' date=' whinging about it isn't gonna change it.

?

?
[/quote']

Sure you can do that and accept the local price and make an extra 30k for some one in the line of distribution of this bike or you can WHING and make people aware of how they are been shafted and encourage them not to support this type of pricing in South Africa and encourage then to buy online outside the boarders of this country.If the demand decrease and the distributes are aware that there market is moving else where they will have to drop there price to reclaim there client base back. That is very basic business principle. Attitudes like yours allow them to do this or are involved with the importation of bicycles into South Africa?

smiley2.gif   

Bitching yes i am. Please look at the link in my post this is the price they quote in pounds not a price i have taken out of thin air.Sorry for you that you are paying those prices in EURO'S smiley2.gif

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=17242&catID=47

WILL MATCH ANY GENUINE ADVERTISED OFFERS!!!

Giant TCR Advanced SL Team ISP 2009 15% OFF JANUARY SALE

(product ID: 17242)

The pinnacle of race-ready engineering and built to meet the unrelenting demands of the T-Mobile Team, every handcrafted model in Giant?s TCR Advanced series utilizes T-800 carbon composite?which features the lightest stiffness-to-weight ratio of any composite material available.

FRAME TECHNOLOGY

Developed to meet the needs of the peloton?s fastest racers, the breakthrough T-800 carbon composite integrated-seatmast frameset features increased lateral stiffness, reduced weight and improved aerodynamics.

FRAME Advanced SL Composite, Compact Road Design

FORK Advanced SL Composite Overdrive,11/4" - 11/8" composite steerer

SHOCK N/A

HANDLEBAR PRO Vibe Anatomic carbon composite OS

STEM PRO PLT carbon composite

SEAT POST Integrated

SADDLE Selle Italia SLR XP

PEDALS N/A

SHIFTERS Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 20 speed STI

FRONT MECH Shimano Dura-Ace 7900

REAR MECH Shimano Dura-Ace 7900

BRAKES Shimano Dura-Ace 7900

BRAKE LEVER Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 STI

CASSETTE Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 12-25

CHAIN Shimano Dura-Ace 7900

CRANKS Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 Hollowtech II 39/53

BOTTOM BRACKET Integrated

RIMS Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7850 Carbon Clincher 700c

HUBS Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7850

SPOKES Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7850

TYRES Schwalbe Ultremo 700x23m

Product options

SIZE     

Size Guides

Click here for GIANT sizing guide

Our price: ?4,037.50

RRP: ?4,750.00

SAVE 15 %

Quantity   

Deep Section2009-01-12 09:08:39

I am not involved by any means in importing bicycles.

You need to consider the bigger picture.  After you've paid shipping and import duties and possibly someone to assemble the bike (assuming it requires assembly).... there goes your 15% saving.

My "attitude" is just realistic dude.  Import away if it gives you a warm and mushy feeling but I think a few people might agree with me that bitching and moaning is actually counter productive

Sorry' date=' but there is no Giant TCR team for 2009.? You are comparing old stock with the new TCR Advanced SL, which retails for 6500 Euro.? MORE expensive than SA, so stop bitching....[/quote']

My apologies it is not the Giant TCR team it is the TCR Advanced SL smiley9.gif

Sorry' date=' but there is no Giant TCR team for 2009.  You are comparing old stock with the new TCR Advanced SL, which retails for 6500 Euro.  MORE expensive than SA, so stop bitching....[/quote']

My apologies it is not the Giant TCR team it is the TCR Advanced SL smiley9.gif

OK, so exactly which bike is going to retail for R95k?  Be very sure.  Where did you hear it and which model will it be?  There is the one you are looking at, the SL 0 ISP which is more expensive and then the Rabobank Team.  Could be any of these.

Well I stand corrected the recommended retail price for this bike is R73250.00 and i see the electric Dura Ace you need to whack on a extra 10k which i admit it does not come close to 95k. Yes Willehond it is the SL with the ISP. The guarantee still stands on the product but yes it is a mission to send it back to the U.K to get it sorted. Okay so there is only a diffrence of 13k but it still gives me the sh*ts (smaller sh*ts than 35k)that we as South Africans are paying this much extra than someone who is living in the U.K. I Don't like to be taken advantage of in any circumstance and that is why if i chose this bike i would buy it form them so not to line someone pockets with an extra 13k. Deep Section2009-01-12 09:54:24

well, it lands here for R60k, now, agent wants profit, + 20% , adds for tax, 14%, from agent to bike shop, courier wants R1000.00, bike shop wants 20%, tax wants another 14%... make the sum! There you go, your price has increased by 50%. Oh, this is just an example!

Well I stand corrected the recommended retail price for this bike is R73250.00 and i see the electric Dura Ace you need to whack on a extra 10k which i admit it does not come close to 95k. Yes Willehond it is the SL with the ISP. The guarantee still stands on the product but yes it is a mission to send it back to the U.K to get it sorted. Okay so there is only a diffrence of 13k but it still gives me the sh*ts (smaller sh*ts than 35k)that we as South Africans are paying this much extra than someone who is living in the U.K. I Don't like to be taken advantage of in any circumstance and that is why if i chose this bike i would buy it form them so not to line someone pockets with an extra 13k.

Why don't you move to the UK, then you'll be living in consumer utopia...Wink