What cycling computer to buy

CatGirl

i read in one of the bicycling mags about the entry level

Cateye Velo 8 II Cycle Computer

will this be ok? i dont want anything fancy. only thing is my previous one's screen got damaged by the sun...i dont want this to happen again..

thanks helloise

Welcome to the Hub. I have tried various brands of computer over the past years and always come back to Cateye. Last year I bought a Cateye from a Hubber and it stopped working after a week. My LBS sent it to Cool Heat and they replace it with the latest 2.4 g wireless model. Awesome service, great product! Just be sure that the model you are looking at has the features you require.

this is about all i need. got this off the cateye website.

Functions
Current speed
Maximum speed
Average Speed
Trip distance
Odometer
Clock
Elapsed Time
Calorie Consumption

Features
Auto start/stop
Auto power-saving mode
Tire setting in inches and CM
Speed display up to 300 kph/185mph
New tool free universal mount ( 22 to 32mm diameter)
Pace arrow

Specifications: Front fork mount wired sensor

Wired transmission distance up to 27" or 70cm

thanks

helloise

this is about all i need. got this off the cateye website.

Functions
Current speed - all have
Maximum speed - all have
Average Speed - all have
Trip distance - all have
Odometer - most have
Clock - all have
Elapsed Time - all have
Calorie Consumption - only with heartrate strap. Otherwise it's just an assumption

Features
Auto start/stop - most have and not all too great. You need to remove the computer once you cross the finish line otherwise it just conitnues counting
Auto power-saving mode - most have
Tire setting in inches and CM - all have
Speed display up to 300 kph/185mph - doubt you need this

New tool free universal mount ( 22 to 32mm diameter)  - handy
Pace arrow  - all have

Specifications: Front fork mount wired sensor  - rather look at cordless

Wired transmission distance up to 27" or 70cm

thanks

helloise

Topeak computers work just as well. I've never had any hassles with them.

Rather get a model that has cadence. It will be far more beneficial than reading up to 300km/h

haaaa ha ha ha ja right!!! who ever will make THAT speed, not even my CAR!!!! ha ha ha what a waste then..

Thats all you need really. If you want HR just get an entry level monitor and you've got everything a Polar 520 can do at a fraction of the price.

Sigma sport bc 1200, cheap and strong as mother Russia. )  price varies at dif shops,  R150 -280 for the same thing.

Sigma sport bc 1200' date=' cheap and strong as mother Russia. )  price varies at dif shops,  R150 -280 for the same thing. [/quote']

The button on mine just broke for no reason. Did serve me well. Got the bigger wireless one now. Works great but was almost R500.

Sigma sport bc 1200' date=' cheap and strong as mother Russia. )  price varies at dif shops,  R150 -280 for the same thing.

[/quote']

pros: also used/use this one on mountain bike. simple and cheap(R140)

cons: buttons get stickey when mud and grit gets in... wouldnt recommend it for this reason only

Hmm, trip computers are fun when you are new to cycling I suppose.  Look Ma, I averaged 25 todayApprove.    LOL

Maybe you need one for recording the distance when you are training, but I've found that recording the time you spend in the saddle is just as effective.

In the last year I've come to the conclusion that I don't need one at all - mine's been broken for a while.

Oh and regarding the 300km/h spec.  If you give up cycling, your tip computer will come in handy for recording your average speed while blasting along on your superbikeBig%20smile

hello all,

the shop i went to did not have the cateye, i then decided on the topeak comp 130...

i think it will suit my needs just fine...

thanks for all the good advice. you'll hear from me soon again re: mtb pedals and mtb shoes for ladies....i might add....

thanks

helloise