KCNC Quality

YETI575

yes the bars' date=' stems and seat posts are superlight too - all the kcnc parts are made from scandium[/quote']

I don't think so. Last time I looked it was aluminium.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes the bars' date=' stems and seat posts are superlight too - all the kcnc parts are made from scandium[/quote']

Qualify that JB... which parts don't you think? Or is that all?

I have plenty KCNC stuff, most of the stuff on my mtb is KCNC. The crank is just for racing as it has scandium ball bearings and those wear out super fast but they are a very good product and well worth the money, that said i only weigh 55kgs

Qualify that JB... which parts don't you think? Or is that all?

Can i steal your thunder Johan?Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandium - "The primary production is 400 kg"

I dont think they going to waste more than a milligram or two per part, and only for the marketing i guess...

And all this means???? Forgive me' date=' I'm not a metallurgist...[/quote']

Maths Wink

If there is only +-400kg available per year, how much do you think end up in your single bike part?

So your bike part are made out of Aluminium with a bit of Scandium added (i gues the sticker / paint indicate "scandium" weigh more than the scandium in the part...)

And all this means???? Forgive me' date=' I'm not a metallurgist...[/quote']

Maths Wink

If there is only +-400kg available per year, how much do you think end up in your single bike part?

So your bike part are made out of Aluminium with a bit of Scandium added (i gues the sticker / paint indicate "scandium" weigh more than the scandium in the part...)

OK, point taken, thanks for the explanation...

Their scandium bars are made of, er, scandium. The rest Alu. SC Wing and team gear is scandium. SOOPER Light, but strong and durable.

Stem, seatpost and handlebar will be fine. I, and lots of MTB'ers I know and ride have them on their bikes and they last. And we weigh more than 70kg's. Individually.

I am pretty sure that what we refer to casually as Scandium is a Scandium/Aluminium alloy. Scandium in small quantities makes it possible to make thinner, stronger, and more cleverly butted tubes that are still mostly aluminium. My SC Bone bar, which I am very happy with, certainly isn't pure scandium. Nor is it "just" aluminium.

I'm a heavy rider - I'm on KCNC flat bar (SC Bone) and SC Wing stem... so far, so good!

Did read the comments of one of the Hubbers (??) on a different thread not so long ago (last week??) who didn't have many nice things to say about his stem - it apparently cracked near one of the bolts...

So don't know - can only really comment on what I've experienced...

Am willing to say that when they hit the market initially - think it was over in the UK first - received rave reviews....

The crank is just for racing as it has scandium ball bearings and those wear out super fast

Super practical that, having a set of cranks "just for racing".

Come on guys! Did you honestly expect calipers that weigh 30 - 35% less than DuraAce or Record to have the same stopping power? The stopping power of the KCNC calipers are on par with the performance of other light calipers like ZeroG - I've ridden both (as well as Record & DuraAce)

The exception may be eebrakes @ about R6k per set:

Agree that the KCNC brake pads are crap - throw them away & get some Coolstops or Swisstops.