Costs to host a race

chuck

I was reading a letter, and response, regarding entry fees and it was interesting that one of the factors mentioned that pushed up cost is the medals. Cost to manufacture, how many to make etc. Now maybe it's just me but who still wants a medal? It is the most useless practice in cycling. My personal opinion is that they should do away with it and rather reduce entry fees, donate the money to charity or put it back into cycling. BTW the only place where it might have any value could be stage races. I'm sure you want to show people you finished the Epic or Sani2C ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree...I got a box full of medals stashed away in the garage gathering dust. I'm not the type that will put them on display in my living room anyway. Would rather save x amount on entry fees and be without a useless medal.

i'm also not that keen on medals, but i like it when some effort goes into the "award" at the end, such as the timber trophies you get at sabie. do they still do that?

From the side of an organisor of the West Coast Express I can assure that we agree with saving costs but you have no idea of the flack we get if there is not a token of sort.

I never take those things. taking up to much space. I believe is a person with low selfesteem that wants a medal for completing a race.

The only cycling medal i keep is my 1st Argus, the rest go into a shoe box with all my other sport medals, but i can understand how for some even completing a 25k fun ride is an achievement and they want something to show for it.

The only cycling medal i keep is my 1st Argus, the rest go into a shoe box with all my other sport medals, but i can understand how for some even completing a 25k fun ride is an achievement and they want something to show for it.

I want medals. I am looking forward to the day when I can sell them on the hub and make a mint.

Seriously, as holy says some medals are really cool. I keep my Sabie timber thing as a coffee mug coaster. Karkloof medal is my PO Box key ring. Those plastic thingies that look like a rock candy cut off were nice toys for my bird but I would rather have not received them.

They should ask on the entry form if you want one or not. Don't push up the price but drop the price for the ones not wanting them. And make it a big difference so that the entrant can decide if the extra money is worth it or not.

From the side of an organisor of the West Coast Express I can assure that we agree with saving costs but you have no idea of the flack we get if there is not a token of sort.

I'm sure there are those individuals that would want one but with almost all races using online entry these days can you not have an option for this? A really cool 'token' is nice but more than 98% of all medals I ever received only has a sponsor name on. I'm still pissing blood from the last 100K's I did and guess that the medal says? Yip only the sponsor name, not 100k, not even the race name. But I do realize that this must be difficult one for organizers.

They should ask on the entry form if you want one or not. Don't push up the price but drop the price for the ones not wanting them. And make it a big difference so that the entrant can decide if the extra money is worth it or not.

We did a few snap survey amongst cyclists in a few races, nothing scientific, but the overwhelming majority wants their medals or token.

What I cannot uinderstand is that there are always the whingers who complain about the cost of entries......... while riding the race on their R40K carbon fibre whoopde doo and does not think twice to upgrade to the latestspaghetti groupset ........... and then moans and complains about a race entry of R150-00...... ridiculous and pathetic. I must also say that the thanx of many many more cyclists after a successfull race makes up fpor the minority of whingers...... same can be said for the medal whingers. How much can you save R25-00, R30-00 of even a MASSIVE R35-00. Get back to the real world people!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure allowing an option on the entry form is an option as it will require extra admin, you will need to keep a record of wants and dont wants as there will always be chancers trying their luck.  What is the actual cost of medals as opposed to other expenses such as traffic control, timing costs, prize money etc.

Will not work as way to many cyclists are bullsh*tters. The admin involved is just way too much. The lead time to order medals and entreis closing also do not co-incide. You have too order the medals far ahead and estimate how much you are going to use. You must see the boxes of unclaimed medals at Club HQ........ and woe betide if you do not have enough medals!!!!!!!! ......... most likely the same medal whingers who complains the most!!!!!!!!

Those whinging about boxes full of useless medals can just throw the box away...... or are they secretly coveting their thropies??????

agreed, especially with online entries it cant be that difficult to organise. How much does it cost to make a medal?