Costs to host a race

chuck

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll much rather spend that R18-R25 on a nice hamburger then a medal.

with pineapple of course.

and cheese. Why don't they ever offer pizzas at races?

Yah' date=' I once did a race somewhere out in the sticks past Potch. I think it was called "The Crocodilian" or something and at the finish all the riders got a Vetkoek (and a medal of course) - I thought it was sort of unique.

[/quote']

how about a medal in the shape of a pizza?Big%20smile

to be honest i would rather have something usefull at the end of a race like last years emperors medal was a bottle opener now that just opens up the ideas as to what hapened next!!!!

I can see a future topic coming up...

People think I'm an alcoholic because of all my bottle openers LOL

The cost of a medal is about R8. If the amount of medals ordered is enough u don't get charged for the dye and setup costs. Medals are not a big saving.

traffic, timing, setting up the venue and entries online all cost money. Just mentioning a few of the costs.

I have prove that it actually cost less to participate in an event than it cost the organizers to present the race.

if it was not for sponsership the entry fees will be more than it is at the moment.

Call me a sentimental whiner as I used to throw these things away' date=' but I loop all my medals through the burglar bars in my bathroom window.

There's a story behind each one and a satisfying part of the weekend is adding to the collection. Maybe it's to remind one of the achievement in finishing each race, but most likely it's to detract from the ugly kitsch eighties pink tiles.
[/quote']

Sheeben, I am also sentimental like that. I only get to do a handfull of races a year and most of them have some kind of story behind them. I hang mine next to a bookshelf in the study.

Call me a sentimental whiner as I used to throw these things away' date=' but I loop all my medals through the burglar bars in my bathroom window.

There's a story behind each one and a satisfying part of the weekend is adding to the collection. Maybe it's to remind one of the achievement in finishing each race, but most likely it's to detract from the ugly kitsch eighties pink tiles.
[/quote']

Sheeben, I am also sentimental like that. I only get to do a handfull of races a year and most of them have some kind of story behind them. I hang mine next to a bookshelf in the study.

It always interests me how cyclists believe they are being ripped off and organisers are pocketing the cash.

As an organiser of numerous mtb and road events in a non profit making cycling club since 2004 I can assure you that is certainly not the case.

As an example where we have a simple one day mtb race of moderate proportions the entry fees cover 20% of the costs of running the event.This includes goodie bag with T shirts.

A complex 2 day stage mtb race the entry fees cover 50% of the costs.Here the entrants receive event specific cycling shirt and well stocked goodie bag and overnight amenities and meals.

Medals make a very small dent in the scheme of things.

I must admit, I quite like my medals. (I don't have many at this stage)

After 20 years of sloth, I started doing a bit of exercise last year.

My first Midmar Mile, 60km ride, 94.7, Half marathon and Tough One will always indicate a phase shift in the way I live my life.

I look forward to my first marathon medal and possibly even a Half Iron Man in the future.

For many a medal marks the achievement of a goal that they have worked towards over months. As a new entrant into any sport, it is the recognition of the work put in.

I suggest on the online entry have the following option:

1. Medal

2. T Shirt

3. Donate to race charity

Keep the entry fee the same for all otherwise too complex to administer. Those who don't want a medal get the feel good of the donation.

Medals only to pre entries is also an option to minimise wastage.

Muttley (Dick Dastardly's dog) likes medals; I like Muttley, therefore I like medals.

& so does my 6yr old who took them all out and played with them at the weekend.

& my 16yr old loves me bringing home meaningless medals so he can take the p!ss out of me.

So everyone's happy R8 well spent.

It always interests me how cyclists believe they are being ripped off and organisers are pocketing the cash.

Medals make a very small dent in the scheme of things.
[/quote']

Wurpie ek dink jy mis die punt. Not a single post made any reference to organisers ripping them off. Personally I would not want to ever organize such an event and I take my hat of to those brave enough to do so. I also realize that it is not a big portion of the balance sheet but the question remains - Would it not be money better spend if those costs are donated to a charity? I'm sure that if people are asked if they are willing to donate the cost of their medal to a childrens home 99% would say yes. To prove that you did your 25k's you can buy the t-shirt. So the point is not cost saving, it's using it better.

BTW - Even R8 adds up for a big family that cycle every weekend but that's a different topic.

Seems to me once a cyclist wannbe is on a mind trip he reads just what he wants to see to fuel his own interests and boost his own feeble ego. Did you guys not read what I wrote regarding medals. There is just not enough time in the run-up to an event to wait for the whingers to decide whether they want medals, T-shirts or a roll of toilet paper to wipe up the crap of their complaining. Medals take time to make....... you have to ESTIMATE the amount of entries. There is just not time to wait for the entries to close and then start making the medals. In the real world without hamburgers and pizzas it does not work like that. Accept the fact and throw the damn medal away if it worries you so much.

OMG... It's going to snow today. I agree with Oom H...

Me 2, I don't feel well, gonna have to lie down for a bit.

Joe Low2009-02-10 02:14:19

Seems to me once a cyclist wannbe is on a mind trip he reads just what he wants to see to fuel his own interests and boost his own feeble ego. bla bla bla.

So hoekom is jy de moer in? No fuel was used nor where any animals harmed in this thread. It's just a normal healthy discussion and opinions. But you point is noted.