Costs to host a race

chuck

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It always interests me how cyclists believe they are being ripped off and organisers are pocketing the cash.

Medals make a very small dent in the scheme of things.
[/quote']

Wurpie ek dink jy mis die punt. Not a single post made any reference to organisers ripping them off. Personally I would not want to ever organize such an event and I take my hat of to those brave enough to do so. I also realize that it is not a big portion of the balance sheet but the question remains - Would it not be money better spend if those costs are donated to a charity? I'm sure that if people are asked if they are willing to donate the cost of their medal to a childrens home 99% would say yes. To prove that you did your 25k's you can buy the t-shirt. So the point is not cost saving, it's using it better.

BTW - Even R8 adds up for a big family that cycle every weekend but that's a different topic.

Point taken but I have not missed the point. There is a recurring theme  throughout many threads about the high cost of entries at events.We have conducted many surveys and found that 90% of the entrants want some kind of keepsake of the event and like medals.We decided to rather give T.shirts or cycling shirts.

You might like to approach the organisers of Ride for Sight and enquire about the results of their survey conducted a number of years ago on this exact same issue.

OMG... It's going to snow today. I agree with Oom H...

Would BoB agree though Ermm

talking about bob, who's taken care of "business" with wendy these days?

FWIW, i like my medals, so go ahead analyse me Clap

To be honest, i would like feedback from the inimitable Capri Wheeler, whose comments on cyclists with expensive bikes may bring some corelation.

Do charm us with your insight.

FWIW, i like my medals, so go ahead analyse me Clap

To be honest, i would like feedback from the inimitable Capri Wheeler, whose comments on cyclists with expensive bikes may bring some corelation.

Do charm us with your insight.

The cost of a medal is about R8. If the amount of medals ordered is enough u don't get charged for the dye and setup costs. Medals are not a big saving.

traffic, timing, setting up the venue and entries online all cost money. Just mentioning a few of the costs.

I have prove that it actually cost less to participate in an event than it cost the organizers to present the race.

if it was not for sponsership the entry fees will be more than it is at the moment.

You are 100% correct. the medal cost us about R 8.00 but the big expence is traffic, PPA, timing mats which cost us about R 40 000.00.

talking about bob' date=' who's taken care of "business" with wendy these days?
[/quote']

Would she also agree with BigH and TNT Confused

I'm also proud of my medals, but the greatest use they have had is getting the grandson interested in cycling, because he also wants a medal like Oupa!!!!!!

Keep up the medals.

My grandson sees them and wants a medal like Oupa, so he has started cycling. That's worth a whole lot more than R8.00

Yes, medals are quantity specific - the more you order the cheaper it becomes, although we have never seen medals at R8.00 - if one amortises the art work cost and the dies, the ribbons and the transport, we always found it was closer to R15.00 - but I guess it depends on the manufacturer and type of medal as well.

If there was a race of 1000 cyclists and only 10 ordered medals, the cost would be higher than their entry fee, so to keep costs down an organiser orders as many medals as possible, sometimes not even putting a date on so they can be used for a few years.

talking about bob' date=' who's taken care of "business" with wendy these days?
[/quote']

Would she also agree with BigH and TNT Confused

Wendy agrees with everything I say... She know's what's good for her...

gooi me a medal.

It proves I was out cycling and not in the pub.

remember that castle ad where the jogger runs down to pub, and when he leaves, the slap him with a coupla sponges to make it look like he had been running hard?LOL