What's the best...

Jason

...indoor trainer you can get? Computrainer? With all this rain I'm considering getting one. I'm specifically looking for one where you can download TDF courses or anything similar. One that can measure power, heart rate etc. I know there's a few on the market but which one would be the best buy? 

Computrainer, or the new CycleOps Powerbeams, but they don't have real courses yet. Will some time in the future.

Trust me!!

The elite trainer is good, I suppose you can't compare any trainer to real riding, but this one is not bad at all. You can even ride Alpe d' Heuz from your living room!

Dude' date=' I'm 40, you're 30, don't tell me you're scared!![/quote']Berge en Dale, norm power = 380w or something...yes, you 40, I'm scared

The elite trainer is good' date=' I suppose you can't compare any trainer to real riding, but this one is not bad at all. You can even ride Alpe d' Heuz from your living room![/quote']you got a link?

Dude' date=' I'm 40, you're 30, don't tell me you're scared!![/quote']Berge en Dale, norm power = 380w or something...yes, you 40, I'm scared

It's ok Jason, it shows you have a chance...you might just get better with ageWinkLOL

I got the Tacx Fortius and I am HAPPY!!!!  I don't think you need anything more as it measures power, can simulate climbs up to 20 degrees and is a hell of a lot cheaper than the Elite trainer.  The Elite also can't do virtual courses (computer generated courses where you ride against other virtual racers), but does have the advantage that you get the video courses pre-loaded. There is also a review on the Elite VR trainer on cyclingnews.com published today!  Well worth the read.  2,5 stars out of 5.....

Some guys have had problems with Fortius power units blowing due to Eskom's eratic supply, but I think it's sorted now (I am not in SA, so can't help you!)

I am doing the Argus tonight (on the Tacx) because it's snowing/raining/blowing hard outside.  The damn thing keeps me sane!  Did a 2,5 hour ride last week and managed not to die of trainer boredom!

You can also download data in seconds to Cyclingpeaks and the data is pretty accurate (compared  to with my powertap data!)

Willehond2009-02-10 09:12:15