Off the shelf Carbon vs custom Ti

GoLefty!!

which huh?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. which huh?

• That TCR Advanced thingy off the shelf
    • Uber Custom Ti that the factory calls you about at 8pm

If you want a Ti' date=' there can be only 1 company[/quote'] I would actually trust 3 companies:

Litespeed

Seven

Serotta

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The current craze for carbon is partly feulled by the industry to sell more bikes. Yes, it is strong and light and has a great fatigue life, but in some cases (like cranks) carbon is not such a great idea - the hollowgram si alu crank is lighter and stiffer than the carbon one. Every couple of years they come up with something new to make older bikes seem old, and carbon must be one of the biggest booms in a long time. I still love my steel Colnago, and ride it more often than my CR1. I vote for metal!

I'm pretty devoted to Titus, but Independent Fabrications make some of the most beautiful bikes out there!

Their XS frame has won Bicycling Editor's Choice award 2yrs running and they have on more than one occasion won the Interbike award for "The bike I'd most like to take home with me"

This is where I'd put my money if I was looking at a custom steel or ti roadie or cyclocross bike.

Not knocking anyone's choice, just sharing some custom love!Heart

Lefty....good for you for going that route. Looking fwd to seeing it. How long do you have to wait?

Pic of the Ti Crown Jewel 

20070213_004146_IF_Crown_Jewel.jpg
MintSauce2007-02-13 00:47:04

I'm pretty devoted to Titus' date=' but Independent Fabrications make some of the most beautiful bikes out there!

Their XS frame has won Bicycling Editor's Choice award 2yrs running and they have on more than one occasion won the Interbike award for "The bike I'd most like to take home with me"

This is where I'd put my money if I was looking at a custom steel or ti roadie or cyclocross bike.

Lefty....good for you for going that route. Looking fwd to seeing it. How long do you have to wait?

[/quote']

Minty, that IF bike is truly beautiful. It is the type of bike that can be handed down from generation to generation and will always look good.

I'm pretty devoted to Titus' date=' but Independent Fabrications make some of the most beautiful bikes out there!

20070213_004146_IF_Crown_Jewel.jpg
[/quote']

Ya but at R40K it's a triffle expensive for what you get.

Just a pretty face with  high price tag

oK SO i'VE GONE WITH OFF THE SHELF CARBON.

Why? cos I just don't think they can build the Ti frame as stiff as I want at a competitive weight.

In the mean time I'm going to refine the design and then get it built next year. :)

Are you at least keeping your current Litespeed?

Hmph...

not sure really. It has a place for those LSD rides but I really want to reduce the number of bikes in the garage from 5 to 2 so I guess the Tuscany has got to go.

Soon the Pinarello will have to go too.

No time to ride all these lovely bikes

Well, this is why I'm riding a Litespeed Vortex! The only thing I would still want is for it to be built by Serotta, to be uniquely mine.............

Go for it!

When I bought the alu VT, I refused to get rid of my Litespeed Ultimate. I still train on it more than I ride the VT. The VT might be nice and light, but after 100km's I feel I need a kidney belt!

you can feel which side of the 2c piece you rode over on a VT.

They are very rigid frames, similar to those BMC jobbies.

No the idea is too remove the Tuscany this year and get the race bike and then next year get a Bike for Life......my design........Ti

Yes the VT 740 - what fatcyclist has and the VT 780, both Carbon Alluminium frames are very rigid. One should never compare Titanium and the ride quality with Alluminium!