'Rage & Arrogance fit Bicycle riders like Lycra'

Captain Slow

Absolutely 100% correct slave2love....

NO matter who you are, what you ride and who you ride for....the rules are the same and counts for everyone!
Dirt*girl2009-02-23 03:03:48

While there is an element of "preaching to the choir" with this thread, I agree with S2l and CS for two reasons:

1: Every one motorist whom we influence positively is one less threat to cyclists on the road. Hopefully, he will also tell his mates about the good experience.

2: I believe in karma. Do the right thing by some-one else and have faith that the reverse will also occur.

Let's ensure that our clubs continue to emphasise safety in newsletters, ride briefings etc. It doesn't cover all riders, but it certainly helps.

While there is an element of "preaching to the choir" with this thread' date=' I agree with S2l and CS for two reasons:

1: Every one motorist whom we influence positively is one less threat to cyclists on the road. Hopefully, he will also tell his mates about the good experience.

2: I believe in karma. Do the right thing by some-one else and have faith that the reverse will also occur.

Let's ensure that our clubs continue to emphasise safety in newsletters, ride briefings etc. It doesn't cover all riders, but it certainly helps.

[/quote']

Indeed FG... You saw how we were shouting on saturday, and to hardly any avail...

So there was this article in the Sunday Times today!

"RAGE & ARROGANCE FIT BICYCLE RIDERS LIKE LYCRA"

We' date=' as cyclists, really need to start making a concerted effort to make 'things' right with our fellow road users. We need to start respecting the rules of the road and respecting our fellow road users. If we can all start by 'doing the right thing', then maybe, just maybe, we can stop the carnage on our roads.

I know there are thousands of motorists that break the law every day, but that does not give us cyclists the right to do as we please.

I hereby appeal to all of you to start behaving out there and pray that the Lord keeps you all safe!!

Come-on hubbers, I know we can all stand together!!'
[/quote']

Well said Captain, what was the old saying? "Do unto others etc"

Allow me a few thoughts.

1. We as a cycling club cycle two abreast' date=' not 3 not 4  not 5 ---2 abreast.

2. We have a vehicle behind us, hazards on sometimes even a beacon light on the roof.

3. Even then you will get a motorist who tries to push cyclists off the road.  Yes we are sometimes a large group, but there is safety in numbers.  we stop at all intersections sometimes we will get to a traffic circle and a motorist will wave us through.  We always wave and thank him / her.

The problem is that other cycle clubs do not have the same ethos, and think they own the road.  Which then gives all cyclists a bad name.

The best is to name and shame and have the club sort the individual.  If possible get as much detail of the rider,  club bike helmet cycling shoes bartape groupset. Wheels.  Then the club has something to work off.  Don't just say club xyz or club abc are this or that,  rather say i saw rider rst from club abc doing this.  This is what he rode and what he looked like.  The club will address the problem as it gives them a bad name.  But to say club this did that is stupid and iresponsible (spelling?).

My 50AFD worth

[/quote']

I agree Sammajoor! Name and shame! Send an Email to the club concerned! Our club has the same rules as yours, and it's amazing the positive response we get from motorists (with the rare exception), but there always has to be an a***hole. If all clubs adopted this approach, things can only improve! Maybe it's time that CSA adopted a stricter line with registered clubs who cause problems on the road, and allowed reporting of them and if sufficient evidence, de-listed them!
joevan2009-02-23 15:28:19

Allow me a few thoughts.

1. We as a cycling club cycle two abreast' date=' not 3 not 4  not 5 ---2 abreast.

2. We have a vehicle behind us, hazards on sometimes even a beacon light on the roof.

3. Even then you will get a motorist who tries to push cyclists off the road.  Yes we are sometimes a large group, but there is safety in numbers.  we stop at all intersections sometimes we will get to a traffic circle and a motorist will wave us through.  We always wave and thank him / her.

The problem is that other cycle clubs do not have the same ethos, and think they own the road.  Which then gives all cyclists a bad name.

The best is to name and shame and have the club sort the individual.  If possible get as much detail of the rider,  club bike helmet cycling shoes bartape groupset. Wheels.  Then the club has something to work off.  Don't just say club xyz or club abc are this or that,  rather say i saw rider rst from club abc doing this.  This is what he rode and what he looked like.  The club will address the problem as it gives them a bad name.  But to say club this did that is stupid and iresponsible (spelling?).

My 50AFD worth

[/quote']

I agree Sammajoor! Name and shame! Send an Email to the club concerned! Our club has the same rules as yours, and it's amazing the positive response we get from motorists (with the rare exception), but there always has to be an a***hole. If all clubs adopted this approach, things can only improve! Maybe it's time that CSA adopted a stricter line with registered clubs who cause problems on the road, and allowed reporting of them and if sufficient evidence, de-listed them!

Agreed,  the only question that comes to mind is does CSA have the manpower to do this.  They should have the clout to do it,  but will they actually get around to doing it.

And what demerit system would one put in place and how will it be decided.  who will the members be enforcing.

so many variables

Allow me a few thoughts.

My 50AFD worth

[/quote']

That's all nice and everything, what about people like me that ride to work everyday, I try to use the cycle lanes I stick the road rules, I have altercations with the fine feathered drivers on the road every single day. I don't belong to a club and neither do the motorists, who do I report him to? Who cares?

Allow me a few thoughts.

My 50AFD worth

[/quote']

That's all nice and everything, what about people like me that ride to work everyday, I try to use the cycle lanes I stick the road rules, I have altercations with the fine feathered drivers on the road every single day. I don't belong to a club and neither do the motorists, who do I report him to? Who cares?

I have experienced the same problems.  Just because I am on the road and on a bike, motorists, when the notice me think I am one of those "bunch" riders and go out to cut me off, close the left of the lane ext.

And nobody cares.  Everyone is so wrapped up in their own misery and "group ride" stress from weekends that they (in their motorcars) are also out to make the commuters life more difficult.

As a commuter it sometimes feels that everybody hates and , despises us.  My saftey is my own problem.  A true SEP unless I get knocked and make front page news (and only if I make front page news).  Then everyone logs onto the hub and fumes and fusses about how bad the motorist is, and how something must be done (often by somebody else).  Then two days later all is forgotten until the next collision.

I feel for fellow commuters.

Allow me a few thoughts.

My 50AFD worth

[/quote']

I have experienced the same problems.  Just because I am on the road and on a bike, motorists, when the notice me think I am one of those "bunch" riders and go out to cut me off, close the left of the lane ext.

And nobody cares.  Everyone is so wrapped up in their own misery and "group ride" stress from weekends that they (in their motorcars) are also out to make the commuters life more difficult.

As a commuter it sometimes feels that everybody hates and , despises us.  My saftey is my own problem.  A true SEP unless I get knocked and make front page news (and only if I make front page news).  Then everyone logs onto the hub and fumes and fusses about how bad the motorist is, and how something must be done (often by somebody else).  Then two days later all is forgotten until the next collision.

I feel for fellow commuters.

Im really only here cause Im not to busy at work at the moment...Big%20smile.. and feel like stirring some..

I should tell you about the bike shed theory..

Long story, I think every one can associate with the situation because we all ride right... so everyone gives their 50c. People get rid of some anger.. blow off some steam and some build some more.

If It was a isolated case people would read and forget..

Im going home now-now and will go fight my own battle.. a lone wolf.. I fly low.

I sink after the argus it will probably subside a bit.

I decided too count the number of cyclists jumping a single red light, Saturday morning, 8am, Main road towards Muizenburg. Only averaged out at 70% not stopping. Oh, don't try too correct them and if you do you better sprint fastConfused. I found those riding singly tended to stop so not sure if it is a macho thing with two or more cyclists not stopping, I actually get moaned at for stopping at red robots and stop streets. (Gives me a chance too get my breathe backLOL). The question too be answered is "How do we enlighten/inform these ignorant people?" Without getting our heads bashed in.

I decided too count the number of cyclists jumping a single red light' date=' Saturday morning, 8am, Main road towards Muizenburg. Only averaged out at 70% not stopping. Oh, don't try too correct them and if you do you better sprint fastConfused. I found those riding singly tended to stop so not sure if it is a macho thing with two or more cyclists not stopping, I actually get moaned at for stopping at red robots and stop streets. (Gives me a chance too get my breathe backLOL). The question too be answered is "How do we enlighten/inform these ignorant people?" Without getting our heads bashed in.[/quote']

Make like BOS1000, ride alone.