Numb fingers & side of hand

moo2u

During and after recent training rides of 2 - 3 hours typically, my ring finger and pinkie and side of my hand have gone numb.  It takes the rest of the day for the "pins and needles" feeling to subside.  For the rest of the week my left hand has felt weak and I've occasionally dropped things like plates while washing up Confused  Even a simple thing like pressing a button with my thumb is difficult because the fingers on my left hand feel so weak.

Even towards the end of a ride, it becomes difficult to change gears with this spaz hand of mine Dead

Any suggestions on changing my hand position or bike setup (a racer)?  I haven't been to a physio yet, but probably should.

Thanks
moo2u2009-02-23 06:58:20

Welcome moo.

It seems to be a common problem. Something about being in pretty much the same position for most of the time.

Try to flex you hands every now and then. I tend to lift one arm at a time and flex my fingers on longer rides. (I only do thiswhen I have the lame / numb hand syndorme to remind me).

It helps. Also try to change your grip while riding and "move around on the bike.

It works for me.

It can be due to a range of things the worst one being Carpal tunnel syndrome but lets start with the easiest ones first...

YOur gloves do they have a pad on them that is one piece or is it a pair of gloves that has two distinct pieces of padding one under your little finger and towards the bottom of your hand and one under your fingers??

secondly are your shifters and bars level with each other when you look at them from the side (in other words is there a flat interface where they connect to the bars??)

thirdly where is the place on your bars where you hold onto them the most??

Its called handlebar paulsy. Ive had it also and I did some research a while back on it. Basically you have a nerve in your arm called the ulna nerve. It runs from your elbow down to just below your pinky. When you ride, and dont change your hand positions for more than 15 minutes at a time, the nerve can become compressed. Th end result are the symptoms u describing. I put bar ends onto my MTB. It gave me more riding positions and I have'nt had it since!! If you still unsure do a search for it on the net. Good luck!

I've occasionally dropped things like plates while washing up Confused 

I've tried that excuse to get out of doing the dishes. I ended up having to buy new crockery. Not cool.

With entry level campag?

It would have nothing to do with the fact that anybody who rides campy will have hand issues dude as the attachment point of the shifter is off the bars and more than likely the pain is caused by the handlebars being the problem and the shifters being the solution!!!!

No ok, seriously, I had the same problem as you did. I couldn't even wipe the toilet bowl properly without pain. :)

Only thing I changed was from campy to shimano. The smaller grips just must have pinched something.

As for you, you can try adding a gel pad just beneath the tape where your outer palm (like the karate chop part) rests on the bars. It will alleviate the pressure a bit. If you can't find any try doubling up on the tape or getting some heavoer padded gloves. The pressure is making the nerves become inflammed and thus post ride pain. Pins and needles is from nerve being suppressed.

I'm no doctor, but have suffered and researched my own numb hands. I came up with this general info - it forms part of an article iro "Common cycling injuries". Feel free to visit www.everythingbicycling.co.za for some more info.

Pressure injuries. Pressure on the hands, the perineum, buttocks and the feet can be a problem, particularly on long rides. If you bike is properly set up, you have good gloves and good padded cycling shorts and a decent saddle this will be minimised and should not lead to long-term damage. However, there are times when excessive, prolonged pressure can lead to nerve and tissue damage.

Handlebar palsy.

Ulnar neuropathy is an inflammation of the nerve that runs along the entire length of the arm to the hand. This nerve provides for both movement and feeling in the arm and hand. The nerve becomes inflamed, usually either at the elbow or the wrist, when it has to absorb vibration and shock transmitted to the arm, or it can flare up when the hand and arm are maintained in a fixed position for a long time. Symptoms of handlebar palsy include tingling, numbness, or pain on the outside or middle of the forearm; this sensation of discomfort may run all the way to the little finger. It?s important to note, too, that during early stages of the injury symptoms might be limited to tingling (the familiar ?pins-and-needles? sensation) while riding, but can rapidly progress to numbness and even intense pain.

Handlebar palsy should never be taken lightly, as the ulnar nerve may become compressed due to swelling of surrounding muscles and connective tissues, and its ability to transmit messages to the muscles of the forearm may be reduced. The result is a loss of strength in the muscles of the hand, often first reflected in an inability to spread the fingers.

If handlebar palsy is present, it is really best to refrain from cycling until symptoms disappear. Manage handlebar palsy by having a professional evaluate your position on the bicycle and to make adjustments to assure that your weight is not too far forward (excessively supported by your hands on the handlebars), and:

o    observe how you are gripping the handlebars. The grip should be firm, yet relaxed. Increase the strength of your forearms and the range of motion of your wrists.

o    try padded gloves or handlebar tape to reduce the vibration, (and to protect the hand in the case of a fall during cycling).

o    shift the position of your hands regularly - remember to keep the wrist straight.

o    don't ride long distances on successive days if your hands are constantly going numb (rest).

you could also be holding much too tight - focus your attention on your next few rides on what you're doing with your hand - keep it relaxed and move it on the bars every 10-15 minutes. if the problems persist despite this then start looking at the setup and maybe the fizik gel bar tape etc

Wow - quick response!

The Break, apologies I'm not very bike tech savvy...

My gloves do have more than one pad, but I could probably do with a  new pair - that may help.  I do try to move around but mostly hold onto the top part of the bars that point forwards, ie. with my wrists facing inwards and thumbs pointing forwards.  I'll have a good look at the angle of the shifters when I get home this evening.

This is just strange because I've had this bike for 8 years and have only now had a problem.  I have never changed the setup, only replaced wearing parts... and I've probably just earned minus 100 points with the gadget fans :-o

Moo2u you could also try getting two new pairs of gloves and alternating them as they might help relieve pressure on your hands in different areas and will prevent pain

alternating your hands could mean moving them slightly off thier normal position and then back after a few minutes works for me at high speeds because i dont always have time to move my hands drastically

also try flexing your fingers into a ball and then extending your hand as much as possible a few times durin a ride maybe just before taking a sip from your bottle or just as you reach the top of a hill gives that extra range of motion to your hands when on the bike so you dont become lazy with stretching your fingers