Recovery foods

What are the best foods to eat to help with recovery? I'm not talking about the expensive recovery drinks available from health and pharmacy stores, just normal everyday food and fruit.

I have been on the bike for 3 weeks and had a fairly rough training session (2x90km) last weekend and am feeling rather burnt out at the moment. I cycled to work this morning and felt as if I wanted to dieDead

I thought that if I took Monday off I would recover enough, but it didn't seem to help.

Has anyone got some advice?
Speed Devil2009-04-01 11:41:38

Don't know how effective they are since I don't ride anywhere hard enough to have this problem, but a mate of mine who does swears by bananas, both before and after. Hope it helps.

Dates/Apples while you ride, And you probably need more rest ( sleep) and eat right during the day and take a multi vitamin if you still not recovering fast enough?

Milk (protein and calcium, and a little fat- not more than 2%), even better with Milo (vitamins), bananas (carbs, potassium, manesium), biltong (protein, salts). (

(On my really hard rides I get it all in one package in FIT Dura Train.)

Um, and beer, on good medical authority, limited to two.Cry 
Yang2009-04-01 13:38:41

Milk (protein and calcium' date=' and a little fat- not more than 2%), even better with Milo (vitamins), bananas (carbs, potassium, manesium), biltong (protein, salts). (

[/quote']

FIT Dura Train??? is that a bar, or drink?

Milk (protein and calcium' date=' and a little fat- not more than 2%), even better with Milo (vitamins), bananas (carbs, potassium, manesium), biltong (protein, salts). (

[/quote']

FIT Dura Train??? is that a bar, or drink?

A bar silly... one that serves milk stout...

Its a drink. Comes in powder form (choc is best). I mix it half water half skim milk, add a spoon of Milo or Nesquik, stick in the freezer until its half frozen- and drink within half hour of ride.

Chocolate flavoured milk for post race protein / carb drink.

Also try Mageu #1.... fat free and full of carbs.

resized_06009616048875.jpg

resized_06001260000049.jpg

resized_06001260100077.jpg

The Ultra runners also swears by the Mague stuff...

still have to work up the nerve to try it though....

Vanilla flavoured frozen yoghurt from Woolies with a couple of spoons of Milo all liquidised in a big glass.

mmmmmmmm......

It sounds like you need sleep more than 'power' foods.

Your body needs to recover and the only way it's going to do that is by you sleeping.

If you going to eat loads of carbs you going to pack on the fat.

I have been reading Joe Friel's book "training bible for cyclists" and he recommends having a protein and Carb drink/meal within the first half hour after a hard ride. for me that would be, 37.5g Protein and 150g Carbs

One scoop protein, 70g raw oats, 30g rasins, mix with apple juise and water.