ABSA Epic lucky draw hehe

JPW#

You pay R50 rand via credit card towards a "loto" which , if you win you have the right to pay 20k for your team to enter the 2010 epic....phew... with the amount of media coverage the epic gets paying anything more than 1k for an entry is nuts@@!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You pay R50 rand via credit card towards a "loto" which ' date=' if you win you have the right to pay 20k for your team to enter the 2010 epic....phew... with the amount of media coverage the epic gets paying anything more than 1k for an entry is nuts@@![/quote']

Entry fee is actually R25200.00 per team. Last year 3500 people paid R50 to get into the lottery trying to get one of 360 places!

Fortunatly for you, the lottery ticket is not compulsory.

And dont forget, To be able to sign up, so you canpay 50 bucks towards a lottery ticket, You have to pay R200 bucks towards the big tree  foundation

This race is classified to me a s the TDF of Mtb... what other race is better than this.. please name a few

I fully agree the logic behind the hefty price considering the big backing of ABSA and a couple smaller sponsors would suggest this has become a profit making event. That said basic economics is about supply and demand, hence with a total of 600 entries, 100 sold already and a number dedicated to Wildcard and Charity tickets, the supply is very limited and well the demand is still extremely high.

The organisers would have got a clear indication that they have not yet over priced the entries with their quick "market" survey conducted at midnight on Sunday. 100 entries sold in 100 seconds, with the added fact that a whole host of us bothered to be awake at midnight to try enter.

So for now it would appear they could even charge more and they will still sell all 600 entries. I am one of those who will be there in 2010, but I strongly doubt I will spend this much cash again.

And dont forget' date=' To be able to sign up, so you canpay 50 bucks towards a lottery ticket, You have to pay R200 bucks towards the big tree  foundation[/quote']

ITS A MONEY RACKET............

And dont forget' date=' To be able to sign up, so you canpay 50 bucks towards a lottery ticket, You have to pay R200 bucks towards the big tree  foundation[/quote']

ITS A MONEY RACKET............

And it STILL amazes me that there are people in this world that cannot see that........Cry

Let the milking begins....did someone say "nipples so long it hangs on the floor?"

If you had the opportunity, would you ride the TdF.

I would and a couple of million other people would, willing to pay whatever.

Epic is the TdF of Mtb and people will pay whatever!
Tankman2009-04-02 04:33:40

People are so gull able. Its not like riding the tour de france its more like paying 25000 k to be able to ride with the best mountainbikers hehe...crazy!

People are so gull able. Its not like riding the tour de france its more like paying 25000 k to be able to ride with the best mountainbikers hehe...crazy!

which is..... exactly what the TDF would be like if Joe Average could enter??!

I don't see your logic...

What I see from this bulls**t not only on this thread but other such as price fixing etc, is that some guys think that it is immoral for bike manufacturers/ tour operators/ event management companies and bikeshops to make a PROFIT!!!!

Any basic economics course will teach you the laws of demand and supply. If you have a product that people want and are that they are prepared to pay for, they will sell it.........Just because it is your hobby, dont be indignant if someone wants to make money out of it.

JPW# - people who enter the Epic are not gullable, they are merely exercising their right to pay what they see fit for perceived value. If you feel so altruistic - how many days last month did you work for free???

I also managed to enter the epic, paid the money and be happy about that. But for all the price concious hubbers why dont we organise a event in august (wy wife will be overseas :))? There is long weekend 8-10. We chose the route, organise the accomodation, transport of lugage, getting there etc. We also pay our share. How about that.

I wonder what would it cost per head.

M

As Sonja (media director of the Epic) said on TV - 10 000 riders tried to enter the Epic and 1200 were accepted. They are entitled to hike the price until only 1200 riders enter at, say, R40 000 a team. That's the free market capitalist way. Capiche?