ABSA Epic lucky draw hehe

JPW#

This race is classified to me a s the TDF of Mtb... what other race is better than this.. please name a few

Erm...

TransAlps (http://www.transalps.de/)

TransRockies (http://www.transrockies.com/trc/index.htm)

BC bike race (www.bcbikerace.com) --- Looks absolutely awesome, this is the one I want to do!

That saying of the Epic being the TFD of mbt, is marketing talk. It's a awesome race, and I ma not taking anything away from it, but it's not the be all and end all of mtb stage races, there's bigger, better and tougher mtb stage races.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also managed to enter the epic' date=' paid the money and be happy about that. But for all the price concious hubbers why dont we organise a event in august (wy wife will be overseas :))? There is long weekend 8-10. We chose the route, organise the accomodation, transport of lugage, getting there etc. We also pay our share. How about that.

I wonder what would it cost per head.

M

[/quote']

You mean like the sani2c that's R6k a team?

As Sonja (media director of the Epic) said on TV - 10 000 riders tried to enter the Epic and 1200 were accepted. They are entitled to hike the price until only 1200 riders enter at' date=' say, R40 000 a team. That's the free market capitalist way. Capiche?[/quote']

Dont quite buy that. Every holiday season there is a long queue of motorists lining up to get through the kruger gates, many get turned away when the quota is filled. Thats like saying hike the price so only rich overseas visitors can get in. Sure make a profit but keep it affordable.

I think there are two different issues here. One being the 25K entry and I agree, if you really REALLY want to ride it it's you choice. The other is the concepts of making money out of EVERYTHING a.ka. the R50 to enter the lottery. This I agree is just plain daylight robbery. Yes it is not compulsory and nobody is forced but why do people have to make money out of everything! It's about the principle. It's the same principle where you do not charge people to give them quote for say paving. Only place where this applies is where you have to do a lot of work to get to the estimate ie. strip a car engine to see what is wrong.

The cape epic is more like the tdf on MTB. . . long ride on dirt roads. Yhis year one was not to bad compared to previous ones, although it was easier. It saddened me to see the skills of some MTBrs. I know of people that could ride technical stuff that was told by other riders(that was walking) to get of their bikes.

To the people paying the 25k great for them. .  some people actually cant afford it. And if the event quality was the same as this year there is no way I would pay thayt ammount of money. If you want to rip people off put an excellent event where most thing s, even the small things work 100%.

As for the lottery if R50 is payed by 3500 people that is R175 000 nice income for doing . . well not much.

Compared to previous years entries this is silly, since they have half the logisticks. With the seven stages and prologue they cut their cost with one supper and breakfast for the riders and the price is still going up. .

Matchstix2009-04-03 00:28:24

The cape epic is more like the tdf on MTB. . .

Nonsense. The epic is a mtb funride with just a few competitive riders racing. Its nothing at all like the TDF.

I also managed to enter the epic' date=' paid the money and be happy about that. But for all the price concious hubbers why dont we organise a event in august (wy wife will be overseas :))? There is long weekend 8-10. We chose the route, organise the accomodation, transport of lugage, getting there etc. We also pay our share. How about that.

I wonder what would it cost per head.

M

[/quote']

A mate of mine, CM Muller (darn strong cyclist) and a friend is organising bike tours as a Hobby /business on the side. Get him to organise the logystical stuff and routs, He is really good and have lots of experiance in "home made tours"

I was going to join them for a 7 day tour @ 100km a day from knysna through outshoorn george and many nice places inbetween. It was going to cost only R2000 for the trip.

PM me for his details.

For R25 000 you can buy a return ticket to South America and cycle Patagonia for 2 weeks... and do some of the best freswater game fishing along the way...

For R25 000 you can tour SA on mtb for 100 days if you camp...

Freedom Challenge 'race' for R10 000.... you have 21 days...

It's your money...

For  me the saddest thing that I have heard to date was the epic wanted to charge a farmer ( the attakwas race goes past the through the farm) R14000  for them to take the epic through his land.. .  

For? me the saddest thing that I have heard to date was the epic wanted to charge a farmer ( the attakwas race goes past the through the farm) R14000? for them to take the epic through his land.. . ?

I thought the farmers charged the organisers to use their land.

I heard that if a farmer wanted to charge, they crossed him off their list. Like its a privilege to have the Epic come though your land and then go and pick up all the gel sachets afterwards.