mtb chain lube?

CaptainDura

Most stuff washes off in wet conditions - the river crossing on Sunday removed my finishline Wet lube completely.
trust me . . . just give it a try . . . it seriously works the best, i have tried so many different things, and this is the one i use now.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as a matter of interest the guy at cyclelab westlake swears to not want to sell quirt, he had it on the shelf and told me its crap and the at I must not buy it and they don't even use it in their work shop.....

I hope the guys at squirt appreciate his commitment to their brand.....

Agreed niterider, in a ride like yesterdays you have to relube. There's not a single lube that will handle 3 hrs of abuse in muddy conditions. I used WL Epic yesterday, relubed when we got of at the calvert crossing and my drivetrain worked perfectly the whole event.

I've tried Castrol as well but was less than impressed with the results.

trust me . . . just give it a try . . . it seriously works the best' date=' i have tried so many different things, and this is the one i use now.

[/quote']

How does it feature in dry conditions? Does it attract dust and other trail muck?

Most stuff washes off in wet conditions - the river crossing on Sunday removed my finishline Wet lube completely.
trust me . . . just give it a try . . . it seriously works the best' date=' i have tried so many different things, and this is the one i use now.

[/quote']

Motorcycle chain wax will work on your quadbike, but it makes an awefull mess on an MTB chain.  Been there done that.Embarrassed

[/quote']

How does it feature in dry conditions? Does it attract dust and other trail muck?
Not really, I don't spray it on thickly, I clean and re-apply often. Well, its my opinion, other cyclists may have other products they prefer. Its best to test and see whats better for you.

Agreed niterider' date=' in a ride like yesterdays you have to relube. There's not a single lube that will handle 3 hrs of abuse in muddy conditions. I used WL Epic yesterday, relubed when we got of at the calvert crossing and my drivetrain worked perfectly the whole event.

I've tried Castrol as well but was less than impressed with the results.

[/quote']

I think we've seen enough of these lube threads to realise that it's pretty much a personal choice....one man's Castrol is another man's poison...I rode the Stellenbosch MTB challenge mudfest in September last year having used WD 40 on my chain, and everything was still fine after that ordeal..

No harm in trying the castrol stuff.

I used to do enduro mcycle races and used something similar to castrol (cant remember the name, but ill have a look in the motorcycle shop where i bought it).

This stuff was very, very resistant to coming off in rain, mud, riverbeds, river crossings etc so i am leaning that way at the moment.

If you think about it, the chain on a 450cc offroad mcycle in a 4 hour enduro race takes much, much more punishment  from water and mud than any bicycle chain ever can, so that stuff must work.

thanks for the tip bladerunner. Im gonna try it and see what happens.

No harm in trying the castrol stuff.

I used to do enduro mcycle races and used something similar to castrol (cant remember the name' date=' but ill have a look in the motorcycle shop where i bought it).

This stuff was very, very resistant to coming off in rain, mud, riverbeds, river crossings etc so i am leaning that way at the moment.

If you think about it, the chain on a 450cc offroad mcycle in a 4 hour enduro race takes much, much more punishment  from water and mud than any bicycle chain ever can, so that stuff must work.

thanks for the tip bladerunner. Im gonna try it and see what happens.

[/quote']

A motorcycle does not have a jockey and it does not change gears by moving the chain from one set of sprockets to the next.  It has a gearbox and a straight chain.  Your bicycle does not have either.

Your legs also hardly have anything in common with the power a 450cc produces.  Motorbike Chain Wax is sticky stuff and WILL give you chain suck.  A motorbike cannot get chain suck, that's why morotcycle chain wax works well for motorcycle applications.

For an MTB you have to accept the following:

1) your chain will get dirty.

2) your chain will loose it's lube, no matter what you use.

3) proper lubing before your ride is only effective if the chain is already clean.

4)any lube will work.

A lot of folk wear by Squirt, others swear by White Lightning and I swore by Pedro's Ice Wax. These are all wax based lubes and the advantge of these is that the wax gets into the roller of the chain and solidifies there. This seals the chain from water ingress,.........till you put pressure on the chain..............like when you pedal. The wax gets squeezed out and dirt comes in.

Hence I'm not a fan of wax basedlubes anymore.

A chain roller needs an oil film to allow it too roll effectively. This menas there must be a liquid in there to build up a bit of a wave that the roller can ride up on. wax can;t do this, oil can..

Of course this means more regular lubing but you have  do that anyway and I prefer to have a lube thats easily cleaned away than one that builds up crap on the chain.

Moral, find what works best for you.

Bladerunner, I've also used Castrol in a spraycan and found it built up on other bits of the bike like the hub? Where do you position the spray?

MW

I am not speaking about chain wax at all. never used in on my motorcycle. It doesnt work in the wet and muddy conditions we race in.

I am speaking about high quality Motul chain lube. It is very thin, super sticky and does NOT come off in water or flings off at high speed.

It also keeps the m/cycle chain exceptionally clean for what its worth.

Im gonna use it on my chain and see what happens.

I see Motorex has replaced Squirt as the official lubricant sponsor for the Epic this year. It'll be interesting to get riders feedback after the event as I know Motorex has been producing motorbike lubes (amongst many other) for years.

"Motorex ? Official Lubrication
For over 88 years Motorex, the largest independent crude oil refinery in Switzerland with its headquarters in Langenthal, in the heart of Switzerland, has been active in research, development and production of innovative lubricants and chemicals, which are established on the world market. Motorex produces a large range of bicycle care products (Bike Line) from chain lube to bike cleaners/polishers and helmet care.
Motorex is biodegradable and will leave the environment, through which the race will take riders, untouched and unspoilt! As the official lubricant of the Absa Cape Cape, Motorex will keep your cranks turning and your bike running smoothly!"

GoLefty: "Of course this means more regular lubing but you have  do that anyway and I prefer to have a lube thats easily cleaned away than one that builds up crap on the chain.

Moral, find what works best for you."

OK, what do you use now?

casspir

Here is a small tip for all (those who don't already know). take a small empty bottle of eye drop solution and re-fill this with lube, keep this in your saddle bag or back pocket for these re-lubing situations.

works well!!!