Trek's @#$%ing linkage...

Merlin

I'm now on my second Trek f/s bike...a '06 Remedy.

My first was a VRX.

The Remedy frame was the result of a 1-year-long warranty fight.

Did I mention? Trek's service sucks balls, and in no way would I have bought another Trek...remember: warranty.

Now, the problem is that both bikes' linkage have intensly annoying squeaks that develop after a short while.

In the case of my Remedy, with about 2,000 kms on it, it's started.

A while back I had the main pivot bolt come loose on a ride (surely Trek checks their frames!?) which put a bit of flex into the frame...now it routinely comes loose.

Unrelated...as the squeaking started a month and a half later, it's now annoying me no-end.

I know from past experience not to oil these pivots...so what do I do?

I'm at my wits end and if this frame gives me anymore hassles I will be back at the distributor to fight again.

Thanks.

NOOOO,!

Don;t oil the pivots... DR het jy al weer te veel gedrin of wat.  LOL

Trek uses bushing so best to just clean themout and refit them. No Lube, none, V*kall..

Those squeeks normals starts after the bushings were lubed. Like GL said just clean them and make sure everything is tightened. Bolts coming loose is normal..not Treks fault. At the end of the day it comes down to regular maintanance. Its a DS afterall.

smiley36.gif hey I see the okes are using EP90 on their chains !!! Ok if you don't wanna oil them then you will have to clean them often like I have to do with mine !

The 'EP' in EP90 is 'Extreme Pressure'.  EP oils are intended for use in diffs and gearboxes.  If you want to use motor oil on your bike chain, just buy the cheapest SAE30 or multigrade you can find.

But WHY?????  You can put Spray-and-Cook on your sandwiches (or your bike chain for that matter), but that's not what it's for.  You can wash your hair with Sunlight dishwashing liquid, but why would you?

Whatever you do in life, do it right.  For bicycle chains, that means one of two things:

Either clean them regularly and use a bicycle-specific chain lube as per the manufacturer's recommendations or...

Use a motorcycle aerosol chain wax and live with the wax buildup.

EP90...shakes head in horrified disbelief...

Um...nope. :)

Can you say 'Art'? ;)

http://www.mds.co.jp/rigidboard-data/mds/pickup/000/00047-x01.jpg

How did we go from linkages to chains?

*scratches head*

N.

It's called hijacking a thread or a threadjack......as in

20070308_022706_Give_Me_Your_Th.JPG

Um...nope. :)

Can you say 'Art'? ;)

Yes....it's spelt T-I-T-U-S Wink

There's a reason they called my bike the 'Remedy'...it solved the problem of ugly Titus'. ;)

Now don't go getting personal....that's just not nice. How's my bike suppose to feel when she reads that? Disapprove

Must say getting a Remedy as a warrenty replacement on a VRX is a sweet deal!

Pity they can't remedy their squeeking pivots.....VAT SO Evil%20Smile

Mints, you're just always looking for a way to insert one of those pics. Enough already. I will force you as punishment to take my bike riding on forest singletrack (I will be forced to join you to make sure my bike has a rider, wink!)

The Remedy is not what I originally wanted, but a year of fighting with Trek and their BS attitude got my the frame, so I accepted. :)

I will never buy a Trek again.

I've had endless hassles with them over all sorts of things, both with this bike, the VRX, and their service/warranty department.

N.

There's a reason they called my bike the 'Remedy'...it solved the problem of ugly Titus'. ;)

The Remedy is not what I originally wanted...I will never buy a Trek again.

Trouble making up your mind whether to love it or hate it?

Go with a Titus, then you can be part of their exclusive group!!

Or build a Scott like me, she's my love bike (now now, don't get any funny ideas!)