Wheel Advice

racman

with regard tpo Biopace. They made the large gear in the deadspot as thats where riders showed most power produced not the  power sroke.

,Q rings big gear equivalent from a 53 to 56 is in the power stroke and the smallest 50/51 in the deadspot. They are also adjustable for your optimum stroke settingClap

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bygese......ek gaan verseker met die tyd vir my altwee kry!

maar kyk hierdie babies. Hulle is bietjie beter as die euros!

http://www.campagnolo.com/pics/SHAMAL_ULTRA-Hub-Rear.jpghttp://www.campagnolo.com/pics/SHAMAL_ULTRA-Rear.jpghttp://www.campagnolo.com/pics/SHAMAL_ULTRA-Zoom4.jpg

Fanie fiets you are right but we will never sell anything we dont beleive in. It is your choice we provide the service with honest opinion.

That is my philospohy i will only comment to get the right 'stats' across. So yip make your own choice.

We only want the best for you because that brings success for both you and me. If I had rubbish what would the word be I would loose my business faster than the product sold.

I admire your honesty and hope you do mine.

IvanB, I have heard that the fron't derailleur is a problem of Q-rings - or is this now sorted. Also, Do they make Q-rings in 39/53? Suggested cranks and approximate prices would also be great as well.

Right, so we have general consensus(despite some reservations) that I should rather spend the budget on Campag Eurus, Q-Rings, Cranks and a good coach. Any suggestions on the coach?

Re the Wheels:

There are a lot of similarities between Fulcrum and Campag wheel: rim profile look the same' date=' same quick releases. I would guess they use the same metal, spokes, nipples and bearings too. So chances are that there wont be a significant mechanical difference for a certain price.

The exceptions are Lightweight Wheels and SRM power meters. These companies do not sponsor product, the riders have to buy them. 

If Q-rings work well, the riders will buy them too. This may still happen - I'll wait and see. I'm not saying Q-rings don't work. I'm just hard to convionce.

Re powermeters:

I believe a powermeter without good coaching is just another gadget. There are alternatives, but people who now use a HRM for training will find great joy in using a powermeter for training. The goal of a HRM is to measure your effort - a power meter does this better than a HRM. If so many pros buy SRM's, they must find the information useful.

But the price of these things are high, and for now only justifiable by very serious riders or people with a lot of spending money. 

thing is Chris, rider are buying them. They were used by some pro's last year in the off season for training,when they were not constrained by sponsorship contracts.

as for Power training, Pro's have used Power training for many years. Even Joe Friel talks about it his book way back from 2001.

Any training practice is designed to improve your power, thats more commonly called  "fitness"

So the question; "How much power are you making"

replaces;" How fit are you."

No one argues this.

The whole thing around buying a power meter for your bike and training according to power zones is a different thing entirely. I'm not convinced it's better than training according to HR. A measure of progress is always best done using power. It takes about 10 days for your body to register the result of the overload so I question the validity / need to have a Power meter on the bike when actual results are only measureable over a period longer than a training ride.

A coach and comfort on the bike i.e. correct fit, saddle, shorts shoes pedals, are all far more beneficial to any given rider on any given day than a bike mounted power meter.

None of this erodes the fact that a Coach is the best investment you can make.

IvanB' date=' I have heard that the fron't derailleur is a problem of Q-rings - or is this now sorted. Also, Do they make Q-rings in 39/53? Suggested cranks and approximate prices would also be great as well.[/quote']

If I may,

I just ordered a set from Manic Cycles. They are 40/53.

front derailleur problems ?? Don't know,but they don't like Wipperman Connex chains aparently..

Just so we are clear here - a power meter ensures that the training you are doing to elicit the results that you desire, is effective. To use a HR monitor for training and then a power meter to measure any performance gains is ludicrous (if you have the opportunity to train with power)

HR is subject to many variables that may affect training efficiency - so using a direct measure of ouput while training ensures an efficient use of training time and a more direct path towards your goal of increased performance.

Lets look at a V02 Max interval for example - using power you can quickly and easily see if you are training at or near PV02 and as such likely to benefit from a training effect in this area of fitness. Using a HR monitor you would have no idea if you were at or near PV02 as HR may be suppressed or elevated and will certainly be responding in a delayed manner over such a short interval.

On top of that, being able to see the ride you have just done and be comfortable that it was in the targeted power range will help focus and motivate the rider - another major factor in meeting those performance goals.

Can HR do any of this - the answer is no. It is a measure of the body's response to effort / output and not a measure of output. It may havea relationship with output but that relationship is affected by many variables that will affect training efficiency.

Cycling performance is all about power over various durations - if you can measure that power during training and racing and see improvement (through training at the correct intensity) then what help does knowing at what HR it occurred have ? (None)

If you win a race at 95% max HR or you win a race at 75% max HR - do you care ?

BikeMax2007-03-07 13:59:24