Wheel Advice

racman

Save some money and buy Campy Zondas. Half the price of Eurus' date=' and almost as nice. You will not notice the weight difference.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/specials_detail.php?idproduct=254

Or, if you want to spend money to go faster, rather than look faster, buy yourself a power meter and get some coaching.

[/quote']

I second that - a power meter is a great investment, and allied with some sound coaching principles will result in far greater performance improvements than more expensive wheels. It does require some effort to learn how to use correctly (not everyone can be bothered) but the payback is worth it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bikemax - will look at website. I currently use HRM but merely as recor and not as training guide, so need to pay more attention to it as well. I guess its the old principle of getting out what you put in!

Remember to ask what the user weight is for the wheels i have a great deal of guys with wheels where they are to heavy for the wheels Buckled.

But remeber if you wanna go faster check your pedalling? your chainrings and crankset?

any views on Zonda vs Fulcrum Racing 3 vs. Cosmic Elites (non carbon and heavy)?

I've had Fulcrum 3s for a year. Very happy. haven't tried the zondas or elites though.

If your pedalling is effecient then you will be faster.

If you spend less energy pedalling then you will have more energy to perform.

Search for qrings. As these new oval rings reduce lactate levels, heart rate and improve effeciency. So if we take the whole picture perfect pedalling, then add the extra's we will have a 'new boy' in town.

If we take average rider and giev him/her better wheels, carbon frame, handlebars and seat post how much better will the rider be? Yes more comfortable and look better but not neccessarily faster.

Change the pedalling mechanics and there is a definite time improvement for the same effort at a better heart rate and effeciency.

Thx, are you talking about the Rotor q-rings or are there other brands as well. What about cranks?

Fulcrum wheels are made by Campagnolo. So each Campagnolo wheel will have a Fulcrum equivalent with different stickers on. I think the lacing of the spokes is also different, most Campy wheels have the G3 lacing (looks very nice) on the rear wheel, Fulcrum more conventional lacing. Mass, stiffness etc. should be the same. 

I've ridden a set of Zondas for training wheels the past 2 years. Great set of wheels - I hit a big pothole in the dark one morning at speed, hit the front and back wheel. I was riding with a Zonda front and a DTswiss/powertap rear. Got double pinch flats, wrote of the rear rim, front wheel was'nt even out of true - so I like Zondas.

I don't know Mavic wheels, but they should be good too.

I would suggest you compare mass vs. price, and buy the lowest mass for the lowest price. These are not the only possible factors to consider, but are the easiest parameters to compare qualitatively.

(Fulcrums may be easier to addapt to a powertap hub.)

I would hold off on new unproven stuff like Q-rings untill the whole pro peleton rides them. For me that is an easy way to verify if something provides vastly superior performance. If something gave a gaurenteed improvement, they would all have them.  Almost all the pros now ride with powermeters (powertap or SRM), which is a good indication that they are useful.
Christie2007-03-06 11:02:07

Fulcrum wheels are made by Campagnolo. So each Campagnolo wheel will have a Fulcrum equivalent with different stickers on. I think the lacing of the spokes is also different' date=' most Campy wheels have the G3 lacing (looks very nice) on the rear wheel, Fulcrum more conventional lacing. Mass, stiffness etc. should be the same. 

I've ridden a set of Zondas for training wheels the past 2 years. Great set of wheels - I hit a big pothole in the dark one morning at speed, hit the front and back wheel. I was riding with a Zonda front and a DTswiss/powertap rear. Got double pinch flats, wrote of the rear rim, front wheel was'nt even out of true - so I like Zondas.

I don't know Mavic wheels, but they should be good too.

I would suggest you compare mass vs. price, and buy the lowest mass for the lowest price. These are not the only possible factors to consider, but are the easiest parameters to compare qualitatively.

(Fulcrums may be easier to addapt to a powertap hub.)

I would hold off on new unproven stuff like Q-rings untill the whole pro peleton rides them. For me that is an easy way to verify if something provides vastly superior performance. If something gave a gaurenteed improvement, they would all have them.  Almost all the pros now ride with powermeters (powertap or SRM), which is a good indication that they are useful.
[/quote']

The main difference in a product like Rotor / Q rings and a power meter is that the former claims to improve performance through better mechanics - no more effort needed by rider, whereas the PM is a measuring device  and simply helps you to train more efficiently - so plenty more effort is needed (and no claims)

Christie you sound like all the SA skeptics.

Look ahead to the future .The product does work I have emails etc that show that individuals are getting better speed, lower heart rate etc the day the rings go on.

It is a typical argument why don't the pro's ride them. Money talks. it costs about ?500 000. to support or have team use your product. In one case the opposition through even more cash at the team to stave off Rotor.

Rotor is a small independant company and competing with the boys is difficult. We have had some of our local pro tour riders want the product but the Campag's said no way.

Check out the Giro and see how many of our pro's ride q rings or Rotor Cranks.

So yes the pro's are riding them or are our pro's not good enough that you are waiting for the 'the pro's' to ride them?

Colnago Belgium fit them to their bikes some models, standard.

Hey I'm not knocking you but its not a gimmick. I Promise. Where are you you wanna try a set?

Shimano had these ovalised rings 15 years, or so, ago. It makes a 52 into a 53 on the down push of each leg and a smaller ring with the top and bottom part of the rotation. Still have a set lying around.

It works.

But going from  172,5 crank to a 175 works even better for me.

I also used to struggle setting up the front derailure with the large chainring not being round, had lots of rubbing going on!

Christie,

Although Fulcum Wheels are a company owned by Campagnolo they operae independantly. They were set up so free Campagnolo's wheel development from the groupset development and marketing organisation. This way it is easier to try out new ideas and get them accepted without potential damage to Campagnolo reputation if there's a bum design or failure.

There are no real equivalents from Fulcrum to Campagnolo but they use a similar product tiering structure to cater for all price points. They are more "Conventional" but thats just for market acceptance. They have some radical wheels coming out for next year apparently.

The Pro Tour peloton is not a good measure of the practicality or desirability of a product. The exceptions are Lightweight Wheels and SRM power meters. These companies do not sponsor product, the riders have to buy them. 

Also it's a great way to throw some weight back on the bike to meet the UCI weight limit after the spindoctors have told you how their wonderful new frame weighs only 700gr and is just as just as,... just as,... blah blah blah.

Most teams are paid by euipment suppliers to showcase their products. It's a marketing exercise. Campagnolo pays teams to ride their kit by either supplying it free of charge. This happens for all their kit. Some suppliers provide bikes with the SRM. A great measuring tool no doubt and allows the team to market itself to the TV networks by making that data available for the viewers. This has a direct spin off to the maker of said power meter no doubt, and this trick is not lost on other power meter manufacturers.

Money they say, makes the Tour go round..

Is a Power meter the best way to spend R8K? I'm not convinced. Certainly a Coaching programme is an excellent investment because you're paying for knowlege and understanding (if you have the right coach). A decent coach won't force you to buy any particular product but will look at your needs and work with what you have. If you want to invest in a Powermeter later then that should be your choice.

Re Q-Rings:

Heck I'm no expert on power training, I am competant at HR training but I am an expert on my own body afterall, I've lived in it for 34 years.

Q-Rings work for me. Normally placibo only lasts for one ride but each time i get back on my MTB i get the same results. Lower HR for the same effort. I can only conclude that they're a benefit.

A Power meter will only confirm this but why do I need confirmation on what I already know? I don't suffer from OCD.. Big%20smile

how you spend your money is your decision but what works for me is

a) A coach that works with you on your terms not theirs

b) Q-rings

c) GOS, TITS, Racing

d) time management
GoLefty!!2007-03-07 04:45:18

Re the Wheels:

There are a lot of similarities between Fulcrum and Campag wheel: rim profile look the same, same quick releases. I would guess they use the same metal, spokes, nipples and bearings too. So chances are that there wont be a significant mechanical difference for a certain price.

The exceptions are Lightweight Wheels and SRM power meters. These companies do not sponsor product' date=' the riders have to buy them. [/quote']

If Q-rings work well, the riders will buy them too. This may still happen - I'll wait and see. I'm not saying Q-rings don't work. I'm just hard to convionce.

Re powermeters:

I believe a powermeter without good coaching is just another gadget. There are alternatives, but people who now use a HRM for training will find great joy in using a powermeter for training. The goal of a HRM is to measure your effort - a power meter does this better than a HRM. If so many pros buy SRM's, they must find the information useful.

But the price of these things are high, and for now only justifiable by very serious riders or people with a lot of spending money. 

Everyone is hard to convince. But the guys are right theyare working.I ask you again Christie where are you?

If you want I can get a loan set to you!!!!!

If we convince you then the rest of the riders are piece of cakeBig%20smile

No serious I will arrange a loan set shhh!