Tyre Rotation direction

chuck

I totally understand the use of rotation direction in bike and car tires but what is the sense in bicycle tires (MTB)?

Changes the friction attributes of the tyre.

Meaning more/less grip, more/less rolling resistance?

Grip. As far as it goes, "rolling resistance" is quite "iffy" science as far as bicycle, and especially mtb tyres is concerned. 

But, yes, tread direction influences grip, friction, mud clearing attributes, so on.

But' date=' yes, tread direction influences grip, friction, mud clearing attributes, so on.
[/quote']

if i recall correctly, JB will disagree with you on this

Yeah, but he lives in a textbook inside his workshop, not in the real world with real world experience like the rest of us. You must understand, sometimes, science is a theory that is only true until real life proves it false. In that way, JB is a bit like Oom H...

Grip. As far as it goes' date=' "rolling resistance" is quite "iffy" science as far as bicycle, and especially mtb tyres is concerned. 

But, yes, tread direction influences grip, friction, mud clearing attributes, so on.

[/quote']

That was my thinking and I made a very interesting observation over the last few days, involving a few offs -

I've seen some negative feedback on the Larsen TT tires, which I use. When I put mine one I inadvertently put them on the wrong way round. Had not issues and they handled good, dry and wet. Had a coming together with a tree which resulted in me having to remount the front tire and inadvertently I mounted it the right way round. What a big difference, but in a BAD way. I actually lost the front and crashed because of it. There was just no grip or feedback. I tried riding with it like this a while but then decided to put it on the wrong way. What a difference, in a GOOD way.

Moral of the story - If you use Larsen TT mount them the wrong way round. You won't belief the difference.

Grip. As far as it goes' date=' "rolling resistance" is quite "iffy" science as far as bicycle, and especially mtb tyres is concerned. 

[/quote']

That was my thinking and I made a very interesting observation over the last few days, involving a few offs -

I've seen some negative feedback on the Larsen TT tires, which I use. When I put mine one I inadvertently put them on the wrong way round. Had not issues and they handled good, dry and wet. Had a coming together with a tree which resulted in me having to remount the front tire and inadvertently I mounted it the right way round. What a big difference, but in a BAD way. I actually lost the front and crashed because of it. There was just no grip or feedback. I tried riding with it like this a while but then decided to put it on the wrong way. What a difference, in a GOOD way.

Moral of the story - If you use Larsen TT mount them the wrong way round. You won't belief the difference.

These tyres are developed and tested in the Northern Hemisphere. For riding South of the equator you need to install them the wrong way round. Unless they have a Southern Hemisphere specific direction marked on them.

These tyres are developed and tested in the Northern Hemisphere. For riding South of the equator you need to install them the wrong way round. Unless they have a Southern Hemisphere specific direction marked on them.

Ah now I see. Then I guess I should be taking the seasons into account as well since the rotation angle in relation to the sun will be different Wink. And this makes me think of the gravitational pull. I'll have to watch the moon.

Ah now I see. Then I guess I should be taking the seasons into account as well since the rotation angle in relation to the sun will be different Wink. And this makes me think of the gravitational pull. I'll have to watch the moon.

Definitely but read the disclaimer first.LOL

All I know is that when I had Larsen TTs with it's ramped centre row I had better braking when mounted as they suggested but less grip on a steep climb and visa versa when turned around.

All I know is that when I had Larsen TTs with it's ramped centre row I had better braking when mounted as they suggested but less grip on a steep climb and visa versa when turned around.

This makes more sense.. I cant think why the swopping around would make any difference to cornering as the knobs are all placed in a "liniar" way, braking in the wet might very well be poorer now, be awere of this.

But yes, Traction should be better

I would keep the front the right way..

That makes sense because the blocks are slanted to the back if mounted right way around. I could live with this but the handling just went for a ball which was my main concern. I did the exact same single track a few times over between changes and there is a distinct improvement doing things wrong LOL. Just what my teen boys would like to hear Confused

I would keep the front the right way..

and this is exactly where it looses the plot. When it is right way round I cannot push it around a corner without falling over.