Loading Height

Sabre484

Carrying loads on motor vehicles

Not more than 4.3 metres heigh, from the ground, on goods vehicles and not more than half the height of the vehicle if loaded on the roof of a car, unless it is a bicycle.

PS Nothing mentioned with regard to a roof rack, just the statement above

nathrix2009-04-29 12:03:03

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrying loads on motor vehicles

Not more than 4.3 metres heigh' date=' from the ground, on goods vehicles and not more than half the height of the vehicle if loaded on the roof of a car, unless it is a bicycle.

PS Nothing mentioned with regard to a roof rack, just the statement above

[/quote']

ref: http://www.transport.gov.za/library/regulations/1999/roadregs06.html

Manner in which goods to be carried

246. No person shall operate on a public road a motor vehicle carrying any

goods--

1. on the roof thereof, in the case where such vehicle is a motorcar, if the height of such

goods measured from the highest point of such roof exceeds one-half of the height of the

motor car, measured from ground level: Provided that the provisions of this paragraph

shall not be applicable in respect of pedal cycles being transported on the roof of a

motor vehicle; or

Worth printing this out a keeping it with you. This thread had gotten me worried as I'm saving up to buy some racks. My wife has an Atos and fitting a towbar will devalue to the car too much.

Derailment here:

1) I see my flashing front light is illegal

2) I'm suppose to refit my rear reflector (red) and fit a front white reflector.

White retro-reflectors to be fitted on front of certain vehicles

186. (1) No person shall operate on a public road--

(3) No person shall operate a pedal cycle on a public road unless there is fitted on

the front of such cycle a white retro-reflector complying with the provisions of

regulations 189 and 192.

Red retro-reflectors to be fitted on rear of certain vehicles

187.(1) No person shall operate on a public road--

(4) No person shall operate a pedal cycle on a public road unless there is fitted on

the rear of such cycle a red retro-reflector complying with the provisions of regulations

189 and 192.

My wife has an Atos and fitting a towbar will devalue to the car too much.

I would have thought that fitting a towbar would double the value of an Atos. In scrap if nothing else, due to the extra weight. smiley36.gif

Guest Agteros

I would have thought that fitting a towbar would double the value of an Atos. In scrap if nothing else' date=' due to the extra weight. smiley36.gif[/quote']

I'd also like to know how adding a towbar to a vehicle, the vehicle gets devalued?

If you've gone and blinged (kitch'ed) the car up, sure.... but a towbar?

You think the roof carrier is a joke, was pulled over by the CTMP cause my lights were on on a sunny day..... not allowed to drive with lights on, thought this would make me more visible to other motorists as the AA suggests always drive with lights on, especially when on a long road trip.... got a R200 fine!!! Will chat to the court guy one of these nice sunny days!!!!

You think the roof carrier is a joke' date=' was pulled over by the CTMP cause my lights were on on a sunny day..... not allowed to drive with lights on, thought this would make me more visible to other motorists as the AA suggests always drive with lights on, especially when on a long road trip.... got a R200 fine!!! Will chat to the court guy one of these nice sunny days!!!![/quote']

As far as I know, you can drive with your head lights on whenever you want to.

Regulation 157 says you must turn your lights on whenever it is dark or when there is poor visibility. It also says you must turn off your brights whenever they could cause a dangerous glare to oncoming traffic. It says nothing about when you may not use your lights (apart from brights).

Regulation 161 says your dipped beams mustn't cause a dangerous glare to oncoming traffic on a level road.

Regulation 161A makes specific provision for daytime running lamps, but I'm not sure if headlamps fall under this section. I can't, however, find anything indicating they wouldn't.

Regulation 163 is probably the one the Metros were thinking of. It says you can use your fog lamps only when there is poor visibility due to snow, fog, mist, dust or smoke.

So, provided you weren't using your brights of fog lamps, it should be kicked out.

Disclaimer: I earlier missed cbrunsdon's Reg 246, so there's no guarantee I haven't missed something else here.

i do not even have fog lamps!!!! but i am going to have fun on this one.... thanx for all the advice

I think the problem is that half of these Metro cops, don't have a clue what the law they are supposed to be enforcing is.

They pick soft targets like lights on in the day, or obscured licence plates to justify thier existance.

But when there are idiots screaming around the suburbs at midnight tryingf to see who'se got the fastest car/motorbike, or taxis ignoring the road laws, you don't see too much of them.

I would have thought that fitting a towbar would double the value of an Atos. In scrap if nothing else' date=' due to the extra weight. smiley36.gif[/quote']

I'd also like to know how adding a towbar to a vehicle, the vehicle gets devalued?

If you've gone and blinged (kitch'ed) the car up, sure.... but a towbar?

Car is a 1L (or 1.1?) too lazy to check now, but as soon as you put a towbar on anything smaller than 1.3 you risk dropping its value. Its also an automatic so it makes it worse.

Its an assumption that the car was used to tow and there was no way of knowing what load was towed - ie heavy caravan, 2tonn trailer .... - this translates into damage to gear box and engine.

I think the problem is that half of these Metro cops' date=' don't have a clue what the law they are supposed to be enforcing is. [/quote']

Only half?

They don't have a clue. Period.

Cops! Utter Useless!

I was driving on the N1 in the dark at 5am this morning, and almost rear-ended a 36 wheeler without one light showing to the back. 2km later I went through the Capricorn toll and a police van was parked so I stoped and told the cop that the truck would be here in a few minutes and it needs to be parked until sunrise.  As soon as I pulled away the cop also pulled away , and traveled in the same direction as me, away from the truck without lights!

That does not surprise pink dude!

I have noticed recently on the R59 highway between JHB and Vereeniging...that there seems to be an increase in vehicles driving without rear lights after dark.

I also notice the presence of 4/5 black Nissan Navara highway patrol vehicles...but they are rarely out of the Nando's on Michelle avenue. Disgusting...

sounds like a bof,nerd

and now in chapter 22 of page 6 line three there was a vrime committed...

sorry hahha jj

bi

Got stopped on the N1 around Bela Bela.  The dude checked my licence and other things that he thought he had to check and then said that "we have a problem with your bicylces on teh back of your car"  Not sure who the we was he was referring to.  I got out and walked to the back of the car where the tried to convince me that the bikes were being transported illegally and it took some time for him to notice that they were in fact being carried on the Thule carrier with a number plate and the recommended lights..  his comment was "hau where you that carrier" priceless I tell you