Efficiency Of Pedal Stroke

JuicyUltimate

If you want to improve pedal efficiency get onto a indoor/turbo trainer with mild resistance.

Couple of days on that you will pedal the smoothest circles you can imagine!!

this makes lots of sence.. I need a trainer

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...the best way to practice your pull stroke is to put some pinns or glass in your shoes... i suggest at the heel and the toes Tongue 

If you want to improve pedal efficiency get onto a indoor/turbo trainer with mild resistance.

there is no better way of improving your pedal stroke like what I have said....and it is cheap/not rocket science plus the added benefit is that you will get a lot stronger!!!

Best pedal stroke comes from training on a Roller once and a while. resistance is low, you need to balance, so both legs must do the exact same otherwise you are off balance. you can focus on circles.

Nice topic though

While This is my 1000th post... er , very proud of this achievement thanks alot to my sponsors, er family, thank you...Hug

Im looking to get a indoor trainer, for a while now, otherwise I will be way back in fitness in now time. What should I get? the rollers sounds like more fun and the balancing thing appeals to me, but theres no resistance (on the ones I'd be getting anyway) So should I get wind trainer or what?

Please advise you gurus..

does one get crank arm longer than 172mm' date=' and when/who should be using them>?

[/quote']

I still need to find out when to use the 175 mm cranks?

Who, what reason?

You get 175 as well...don't know however when you should use which length?!?

You also get 177.5mm and 180mm.

I am 6'4" and am currently riding with 175mm Bontrager cranks.  I was told that longer cranks would give me a little more leverage on big climbs.  CRC has Dura-Ace 7900 in all sizes from 170mm to 180mm.

Anyone know if there is an accurate measurement and calculation to determine the correct size crank length?

there is no better way of improving your pedal stroke like what I have said....and it is cheap/not rocket science plus the added benefit is that you will get a lot stronger!!!

Why?  I don't get it AL.  I have an IDT and I don't see how it improves your pedal efficiency (unless you focus on it).  Seriously, what do you mean?

Why?  I don't get it AL.  I have an IDT and I don't see how it improves your pedal efficiency (unless you focus on it).  Seriously' date=' what do you mean?
[/quote']

Do one legged pedaling on the indoor trainer until your pedal stroke is smooth. Try 3min/leg.

Why?  I don't get it AL.  I have an IDT and I don't see how it improves your pedal efficiency (unless you focus on it).  Seriously' date=' what do you mean?
[/quote']

Do one legged pedaling on the indoor trainer until your pedal stroke is smooth. Try 3min/leg.

My question isn't what excercises to do, it's why AL says riding on an IDT improves your pedalling stroke.

Guest Agteros

I am 6'4" and am currently riding with 175mm Bontrager cranks.  I was told that longer cranks would give me a little more leverage on big climbs.  CRC has Dura-Ace 7900 in all sizes from 170mm to 180mm.

Anyone know if there is an accurate measurement and calculation to determine the correct size crank length?

Try http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/cranks/cyclist_crank_length_calculator.html

Won't say it is the be all and end all... just an(other) calculator...

Guest colonel

WH: I thought your new bike pedaled 87% for you and you just have to do the last 13%??

Try http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/cranks/cyclist_crank_length_calculator.html

Cool, thanks Agteros

According to that calculation I require 178.75mm cranks.  So therefore either the 177.5 or 180mm should be better for me than my 175mm that I am currently using.

Guest Agteros

Cool' date=' thanks Agteros

According to that calculation I require 178.75mm cranks.  So therefore either the 177.5 or 180mm should be better for me than my 175mm that I am currently using.
[/quote']

Just remember that it is not the gospel of crank arm calculations...! do al the reading..

I'd say that with longer cranks you'd have to consider leg strength as well, so if you feel your legs are not strong enough they might get tired easier?

Think car pistons - crank arms there - bore / stroke - ability to easily rev up (I'm no petrol head, nor engineer - but I reckon same principals should apply?)

*ducks* and watches paw-paws flying

Agree! I think a turbo trainer exposes/accentuates dead spots in your pedal stroke more than riding on the road does. Because the IDT puts a lot of resistance on the back wheel, it stops very quickly when you don't pedal. I think that this forces you to work harder through the dead spots in your pedal stroke, just to keep a constant speed.

I suffer like a dog on the IDT at the begining of winter, and go much better at the end of winter.