Fox 100RL shock

GoBig

Hi

I recently bought a secondhand Anthem 1 (2007) and took the bike in for a service. There was a bit of oil on the shock, a Fox 100RL (on the silver bit, not sure what that's called) so I thought it probably needs seals / bushes so had it sent to Omnico to have serviced. They now came back saying that there "is wear on the shock" and that I will need to replace the whole top crown assembly (R2.5k). Together with the bushes, labour and all other things the total will come to R3.7k.

Is this something that happens, and I just have to live with it or do anyone out there have advice?

Wow, it would only happen from serious neglect, eg. not servicing according to use. Was there play on the fork, sounds like there should have been if they have to replace bushes and crown assembly - probably because your "silver" bits (stanchions) are damaged, scratched/worn.

Would loved to have seen these components before they were replaced to see how badly treated this fork must have been.

Would also have been interesting to see the condition of the oil, dust seals and wipers. Quick question, was there no noticable scratches/wear on the stanchions - again silver bits?

A little bit of oil occasionally is not normally doom and gloom, but the line between a little and too much is hard to pin point.

Oh, ask for the replaced items back, take some pics and post them for reference please.

Daxiet2009-05-07 04:13:30

Will definitely ask for the replaced item back and update the thread with pics (should be next week)

I have to replace the wipers and seals as well so I guess there was play on it. I didn't see any noticeable scratches on it but then again I didn't really look to be honest (more fool me I guess)

Only paid about R9k for the bike in the first place so expected to spend a bit, but this is a bit of a curveball....

Will definitely ask for the replaced item back and update the thread with pics (should be next week)

I have to replace the wipers and seals as well so I guess there was play on it. I didn't see any noticeable scratches on it but then again I didn't really look to be honest (more fool me I guess)

Only paid about R9k for the bike in the first place so expected to spend a bit, but this is a bit of a curveball....

Do I have to be worried about the agents ripping me off and replacing it without it really being necessary?

I do not see how the stanctions and be the cause of play. If they are worn the gold anodizing will be rubbed off. Maybe it's the teflon (I think) sliders inside the lowers that are worn.

BTW, there should always be a little oil on the stanctions.

They are replacing the whole top bit (crown?), including the stanctions so that's where they say the damage is

For 3.7k, shop around and replace the entire thing. easier and cheeper...

Only paid about R9k for the bike in the first place so expected to spend a bit' date=' but this is a bit of a curveball....

Do I have to be worried about the agents ripping me off and replacing it without it really being necessary?
[/quote']

1st - There is always the option you're being ripped off, but I think these guys make more money on importing and selling parts, etc. When you get the spares back you can analyse them and see if there is visible damage to the stanchions.

2nd - LBS and agents always replace dust seals and wipers on any service ~R380.00 for these parts (retail price). A normal quote for Fox service is around R500-R600. The seals have no bearing on the play, this comes down to worn bushes. The seals will just leak more oil than is normal if worn or damaged.

3rd - You can get a new fork for that price on CRC, but not a Fox F100RL or equivalent. You would have to buy second hand and then run the risk of repeating this experience. So get it fixed, if they're replacing all these components, it should be good to go. What they obviously will not replace or touch it seems in the Rebound and Lockout mech. as well as the airchamber.

Mampara, not saying the stanchions are worn, but damaged e.g. scratched - also the only reason I could see why they want to replace the crown assembly. Play would indeed come from worn bushes.

For 3.7k' date=' shop around and replace the entire thing. easier and cheeper... [/quote']

YES YES YES YES YES...

you can get a brand spanking new fork for that! with warrentee and everyting, or get a Rock shox reba or something.

As a rule of thumb, check your seals every now and then by pulling off the lowere. Also as soon as your fork developes stiction(not so smooth anymore) it meens there is some abrasion happening..thats what happened to yours, for a long time

Daxiet - especially on your third point, that is the route I will go. Replace it now and get the pain over and done with. Yes, there is always the possibility that a perfectly good secondhand Fox shock comes on sale tomorrow but then I do run the risk of repeating this whole exercise...

Cut your losses and go rigid!

Seriously, though, it doesn't sound right. Is your LBS putting a markup on the Omnico quote or are you dealing with them directly?

i wouldn't worry about the agents ripping u off. a new 100 rl is in the region of R10k and omnico know what they are doin

All forks have play in the bushes from new, but it is the amount of play that matters. Play can be felt when adjusting the headset or just locking your front brake and rocking the forward and backward (with the headset properly adjusted).  Too much play indicate worn bushes and worn bushes lead to worn stanchions. To replace the latter, the entire top assembly is replaced and as some people here have proved, it is not economically viable to do so.

I doubt Omnico is ripping your off but there is a chance that they are overly generous in their when-to-replace policy.

I think there is nothing wrong with that policy at distributor level, since that simply removes any comebacks three months down the line. However, if you have a good relationship with your local bike mechanic, he would probably have said to you. "Jo, look at this. This is stanchion wear and will eventually lead to unsatisfactory performance on the fork. No need to replace it immediately if you don't want to, but remember that this is the beginning of the end...."

That way you know what's what. A remote relationship with a distributor via a bike shop cannot work like that.

Why don't you get the fork back and assess it yourself. Attend the fork service workshop in Cape Town next Friday. Skive off work and join my soon to be friends and I. You'll open your fork, we'll all look at it like a bunch of interns at a shark bite in Ward 1 and you'll get to understand the severity of the situation.

Thereafter you'll be able to service your own fork regularly and prevent premature damage.