Winter Indoor Training Advice

I am considering doing most of the winter training on an indoor trainer (Turbo type trainer), except for weekend LSD and/or road & MTB races. Any suggestions or tips on HR training programs for mid-week trainer work etc. I have just started again after a loooooonnng break and need to focus on improving seeding etc (did 3hr59 Argus) racman2007-03-14 05:48:26

Join Bikemaxpower.co.za get a decent program and start improving your threshold power. Indoor type training is perfect for this as you can mainain a steady power output for the entire duration. No trafic lights, dogs, taxis etc

racman, what indoor trainer do you use?

I would suggest threshold training sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays, riding at or just below LT heartrate (average HR during a 1 hour TT type ride) for 2 intervals of 20 minutes.  This would be hard but not so bad that you dread getting on the trainer, and also short enough (1 hour total training time) to keep your interest up (supplemented with you favourite form of music).

Is there any chance that indoor trainers can mess up your frame? I'v been spending quite a bit of time on mine, noticed that it's started creaking quite a lot ... Confused I'm also on the hunt for a decent program 

The frame issue has long been debated and I'm not sure what the answer is.  Usually when creaking starts it is because of the metal-on-metal connection between the skewer and the idt clamps - try putting a bit of silicone grease there and see if it helps.

Did that (and it helped), but now the creaking happens all the time, even on the road. I'll take it to the LBS soon, can't figure out where the blerry noise is coming from. I thought it was the saddle initially, but fixing that didn't make any difference.  The Argus was a 'noisy' ride! LOL

I dont need a powermeter for online coaching 'ey?  I'm just using a HRM at the moment and dont  really want to spend much more on gadgets. 

Icarus:

No, you don't need to have a PM to use BikemaxPower.

Frame noises can be seriously difficult to find because the sound can be transmitted through the frame tubes, and sound like it is coming from somewhere else.   I'd say send the bike in for a full service in which they strip it down completely.

racman:

Mag trainers have linear speed vs. power curves, i.e. power increases in a straight line as speed increases.  To get your threshold speed, warm up properly then do a 20 minute TT as hard as you can (not too hard at the start!!).  Check your average speed for the 20 minutes.   Take 95% of that number as being your 1 hour speed.  Your 20 minute intervals should be done holding a speed of around 90% - 95% of your 1 hour speed.  Hold this speed as constant as you can for the interval, don't worry about the HR.  Repeat the 20min TT test once every 4 - 6 weeks and readjust your numbers.

Other sessions you can do are Tempo sessions: 90minutes @ 80% - 85% of your 1 hour speed.

bruce, unfortunately I don't have my cycle computer linked to my back wheel so don't measure speed. That is why I use the HR monitor. It is rather limited as I cannot check speed or cadence, but I only have one bike. What are the quick and easy solutions to set this up?

bruce' date=' unfortunately I don't have my cycle computer linked to my back wheel so don't measure speed. That is why I use the HR monitor. It is rather limited as I cannot check speed or cadence, but I only have one bike. What are the quick and easy solutions to set this up?[/quote']

Buy yourself a cheap and nasty computer with a rear wheel speed sensor (i.e. a longer wire), then just velcro it to you bike while riding indoors.  If you can't find a rear wheel one, buy a front wheel one and just mount it temporarily on your top tube.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy yourself a cheap and nasty computer with a rear wheel speed sensor (i.e. a longer wire)' date=' then just velcro it to you bike while riding indoors.  If you can't find a rear wheel one, buy a front wheel one and just mount it temporarily on your top tube.
[/quote']

how about just making the wire longer?Tongue

racman:

Mag trainers have linear speed vs. power curves' date=' i.e. power increases in a straight line as speed increases.  To get your threshold speed, warm up properly then do a 20 minute TT as hard as you can (not too hard at the start!!).  Check your average speed for the 20 minutes.   Take 95% of that number as being your 1 hour speed.  Your 20 minute intervals should be done holding a speed of around 90% - 95% of your 1 hour speed.  Hold this speed as constant as you can for the interval, don't worry about the HR.  Repeat the 20min TT test once every 4 - 6 weeks and readjust your numbers.

Other sessions you can do are Tempo sessions: 90minutes @ 80% - 85% of your 1 hour speed.

[/quote']

I did something like this for one of the kids at our club last week and I was quite surprised about linear the speed vs power curves were. We did a threshold power test using my powertap, calculated his FT and then determined the speed at the mid points of his L3, L4 & L5 zones