MTB fork steerer tube short!

NotSoBigBen

Hey, that could work. See it has a binder bolt on it so you tighten it up like crazy (like the old stems).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid question but what stops it from rotating inside the steerer tube? Turn left, go straight Dead

Buff - Uuuuuuhhhhhhhmmmmmm, got me there! Dunno, pity though since I only probably need to extend by say 10-15mm, meaning that the stem would still be clamping the 'bottom' bit of the existing steerer tube?

Guest Big H

Ben plaas die ding op http://bikeforums.net/ onder BICYLCE MECHANICS. Die Amerikaners se forum is baie groter en jy sal 'n antwoord vanaf kundiges kry. Nie wannabees soos op die site nie!!!!

Die gesegde "die laaste ding wat jy sal proe is daai k@k smaak in jou mond"!!!!!!!! spook die hele tyd hier voor my!!!!!!

It looks like that slider bolt, like the older quil style stems, grabs inside the steerer tube and at the same time pulls it upwards to make it tight in the headset.

Guest Big H

Onthou die ou headsets het 'n nut gehad wat die bearings vasgetrek het..... threadless vs threaded????? onthou julle nog!!!!!!

Soooooooooooooo, he says ................................ don't try to push out the steerer and other such 'smart' options!

His advice is to replace the upper 'section' i.e. stanchions, crown and steerer at about 1500 ZA rond and be sure that you will have no problems in the future.

Will discuss this option with my LBS but may still have a look at that BBB steerer extension thing and give it a go!

Ok so I only read the first and last post and most probly somebody else told you this , but I had same problem and took my shock to Bruce Reyneke (Mervin) shop . they send it away and I got it back with a longer tube ! Those tubes are pressed .

His advice is to replace the upper 'section' i.e. stanchions' date=' crown and steerer [/quote']

thats what I said........

if it was pushed in then it can be pushed out . That is why we all got a press in our garage afterall !!

Guest Big H

Ben.... the BBB thingy replaces the quill stem on a threaded steerer to a convert it to a "threadless" steerer. Ie a blank steerer that can take different stems. I am not sure if it made to fit on Threadless Steerers.

BH - Hulle se dan :-

Special Features
Adapter that enables you to make your steering tube longer without affecting the Ahead system.
Threaded and threadless headsets compatible.

Nou wonder ek? My LBS se so 160 ZA rond, sal miskien maar sommer een gaan haal en 'uitcheck'!