Safety Issues AGAIN

Wendell

Angry  I rode the race in Meyerton yesterday with a first timer on a solo bike..nice gentle, safe 40K just to break the ice.... We were in the last 4K when Nick White sailed past....expecting the chase bunch to be close behind I looked back and warned " First Timer" just to relax and stay as close to the left side of the road..there is going to be a lot of speed and action when the chase bunch comes past " Racing Pros".....by now we were within the 3K mark and here they came....police vehicle...space ....bunch...less space and service convoy.....too fast for me to pay attention to how many vehicles, but they were in the middle of the road....Nothing wrong ..YET. till the last vehicle in the convoy cuts too his left... I imagine to see what his team was doing, but NO ATTENTION PAID TO OTHER CYCLISTS USING THE SAME ROAD....cutting very close to us, " First Timer " got a hell of a fright but luckily nothing happened. BRANDED support vehicle none the less. When I aproached the driver, who seemed to be amused when I told him of his action ....He said that he did NOT SEE US...I said I would take the matter further, upon which he mearly said that I must " do what I want to." Is this what we expect from so called "professional " back up drivers. NOW we want to get our knickers in a knot when a " mere mortal" motorist does the same thing and we have a near miss or so sadly a death !!!!! I wonder?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If he had apologised I would probably just have let this go, but if this is the attitude of a cyclist and he also has a son riding in the peleton, then what should be done about it.??

Since Graham's mamorial  ride we seem to have slipped back to doing nothing much more, except Shaun, who has erected the awareness road signs, but what have YOU done.???? Let us think about us becoming PRO-active. I have so often been sworn at because I will ASK someone to ride " inside the yellow line or at the worst Two Abreast.... I would like to appeal to those of you out there to make a commitment, let us clean up our act and stand together when we see other cyclists disgracing our sport. If we stand together and back each other up when someone tries to correct a wrong doer, instead of just keeping quiet support him,and I am sure we will soon get the message across.

If you like the idea recruit a friend or even better join up on www.sign-up.co.za we only can make a difference.

how much to erect a sign?

this will help as well people like the idea of seeing there names..., on the back of the sign board, print the guys name who sponsored the money for that sign, i'm sure that will help getting people to let go of a bit of extra cash lying around...

The signs are regulation provincial signs and therfore no branding on the signs. Ask Shuan....

Wendell, cannot agree with you more.

We really need to become more responsible for our actions wether it be on our Bicycle in our car, at the local supermarket.

Our attitude needs adjustment - Lets start treating people the way WE would like to be treated. BTW Thanks for your sponsorship.

1Hill, unfortunately we cannot put sponsors name on the signs as the sign we are erecting is regulated. It is a pity, cause we could have had enough money by now for signs if this was allowed. A 1500mm sign used on most routes will cost R590 incl pole & brackets and a 900mm sign mostly used in urban areas will cost R342 incl pole & bolts.

BE COURTEOUS - SHARE THE ROAD !!!

shaunh2007-03-22 09:35:40

Guest Big H

Yes be very carefull when erecting signs. They will be taken off if not made according to the South African Road Traffic Signs Manual (SARTSM), June 1999 and obtainable from the Government Printer, Pretoria. Authorisation to erect any sign must also be obtained from the relevant Municipal authorities, Departmental offices for provincial roads or SANRAL for national roads.

Hi BigH

Yes I agree. I have received permission from Gautrans that is why I am able to ask for sponsorship & or donations. Once monies are received, I then pay Gautrans directly and they then erect the signs & maintain them. This deal was struck after I found it too dangerous to do this by myself. I am currently negotiating with the other provinces.

Guest Big H

Pity I am not there ..... I have good contacts in Mpumalanga, Limpopo and North West. I may have been able to help.

Big H

My initiative is to erect these signs countrywide. If you can help with obtaining permission it will be Highly appreciated.

Shaun on my ride yesterday down the Lido route I saw what I presume is one of your signs at the intersection of Swartkoppies and Klipriver.

Thanks for that if it is yours. What about mounting a sponsor sign on the pole below the cycling sign if you know what I mean or is that against regulation?

Wendell

I suggest you name and shame this so called Pro back up driver.

Being a team manager does become a little stressful towards the end of the race, however a little courtesy and manners do go along way.

See how clever he is once he has to answer to his team and sponsor after being named.

Hi MuXmAn

Yes, it is one of mine. Again, unfortunately we can't. As mentioned earlier, if we could by now I would have had enough money to complete the Lido Loop. But then, any donation will do.

Sorry about your bad experience, Wendall. I agree wholeheartedly with your comments.

I believe every cyclist is an ambassador for the cycling community and every negative action harms the perception of the general motorist. As it stands:

- We are arrogant

- We are lawless (or think we are above the law)

- We are unpredictable

[add more here at leisure]

In my humble opinion, creating awareness is only one side of the coin. [Mutual] Respect is the other. I don't think we deserve respect on the roads. Certainly not if the majority of our members fails to show respect towards fellow road users.

I dont think that cyclist's are worse than any other category of road user.

Roads are dangerous, and almost 100 people will have been mauled today, some of them were cycling.

I think cyclists are really only 'advanced pedestrians' and there's little use in them being licensed. Licensing is a manner for prosecuting authorities to establish attributable responsibility for a vehicle, but a bicycle is not really a relevant concern as it cannot create the same damage as any other category of vehicle, at the same time not being able to 'escape'/ flee from the scene's damage as a car, truck, taxi, or motorbike would be able to do.

At the same time, a red light simply arranges rights of access to an intersection - skipping it will not make the world stand still, but 1) you'll be doing it at your own peril, 2) you'll be extended no sympathy if something goes wrong, 3) whilst arguably being held liable for whatever did go wrong. Can I jump a sign at 4 am as 'my common sense dictates'? Of course you can, but if something goes wrong you'll be the scapegoat, apart from being liable for a fine.

Shaun's signs are very interesting, as they are not just 'pretty little triangles'. They actually create a liability / duty of care for road users using the roads on which they are planted.

A rider killed/hurt on a route without signage might be able to justify a 70% negligence factor (example) in a RAF claim. With Shaun sign's in place, that same incident will raise the drivers attributable negligence to 90%, because of the relevant signage in the area / the driver was warned. 

The same principle applies to school crossings - if you knock a learner down next to his school you will be pursued because of the additional duty of care placed on you by the shool's relevant signage in the area.

Perhaps think about it like this : Would you rather be knocked down on a route with, or without Shaun's signs?