Worcester Wheeler's nasty fall !!

no calves

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Daloco   Sounds like you are an IT engineer type guy. Sorry to hear about your cousin. Did he recover at all?

Francois was ''man-handled'' by some new night-staff training nurse/s last night and his neck got hurt in the process.Angry How the (....) can they let trainee nurses handle a special needs patient without the assistance of a propperly trained nurse?? Thank goodness he is OK.

On the technical laptop-mounting side of things... the enginering company building the contraption said that they might have something ready by next week... will keep you posted. In the meantime Natasha holds the laptop up so that he can see whats going on.... She'll develop some big muscles for a tiny girl if she's not carefull.LOL

The fund for Franna is standing at R17850.00 at the moment. That will be pushed to over R18 000.00 with the donation that Wallee made and the cheque we received from Mr. Piet Carstens (a former employer of Natasha). Thanks guys!Clap There can also be a nice boost to the fund from this weekends race... Please support the Willow Creek MTB race in Worcester!!

Regards

its almost 4 days since the last WW update!

I'm sure Francois are good, but its always re-assuring when we read good news.

Any updates anyone?

I'm sure Francois cant wait for the TdF to start, at least some television programming one can really really enjoy!

Spoke to Natasha @ Willow Creek this part weekend. She said he was doing ok. Op was sucess but elbow would take 6months to heal. Couldn't operate on neck because its to dangerous. He won't be riding his bike for 1year...Ouch Everybody is coping and people is helping where they canBig%20smile

Franna is doing well. He did his Gym-workout this afternoon and built up quite a sweat...Wink... just kidding... but we were joking about him having a ''six pack'' and muscular right arm by the time he gets out of hospital. He is doing Isometric excercises and uses a dumbell for his right arm. Then when he comes out of hospital and has lost all that muscle weight (like Lance Armstrong) he will make his comeback!!Clap

Franna is taking it day by day, working towards achieving short term goals in the mean time.

Just a quick note on where we stand with the fund for Franna's rehab. I just checked and the fund is currently standing at R19650.00 and growing. This is thanks to some more kindness that has come in from Wilfred Schwabe, Bez Bezuidenhout, Tygerberg MTB Club, Stefano, Slowpoke and MDK555!!!

Thank you for the your good hearts!!

OK, here's another update... Tomorrow Franna is going in for another operation to his elbow. Last week they fixed his elbow with screws and stuff, but the swelling prohibited them from attaching the torn ligaments. So that will be fixed when they operate to remove a little piece of bone that is lodged in the joint.

Then when he awakes ... or on Sat morning... he will have a contraption next to him with a laptop mounted in. Can't wait to see how it will work!!!

When I spoke to Franna today he again said how deep everybody's willingness to help has touched them... I also want to mention the commitment of Natasha.. She has been there for Francois morning ,noon and night. Keeping him company, massaging his back and legs when it gets sore, washing and cleaning him, looking after the children, the household, the business ect.  You are doing a great job Nats!!!Star

Slanhoek Kelder has also made a donation and then there is also more pledges to come in. I will make mention of that when it materialises. The fund has now broken through and is standing at R20 150.00Clap

Francois also mentioned that his Merida MTB is up for sale.. When I have details, I will post it.

Think of Fran tomorrow!!

Cheers vir eers.

I took a proposal to Worcester Round Table's meeting last night to contribute to Franna's medical costs.

Glad to report that we had an unanimous decision to donate R10,000 towards Franna's uncovered medical costs.

Hope that will help towards getting Franna back on his bike without too much of financial stress.

If anyone out there is involved with any service organizations such as round table, please consider donating to this fund.

Phoned Franna today, and he sounds to be recovering well.

Hendrik Verwoerd

WORCESTER ROUND TABLE 68

jogglingflurpy2009-07-01 15:17:26

WELL DONE WORCESTER ROUND TABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

and thank you to jogglingflurpy for taking hte proposal to them

That was such a great initiative!! Thank you Hendrik !!! I understand that the cheque will be made out in Francois's name and therefor will not reflect on the account that I report on from time to time.

Thank you Hendrik for also helping to get that Opus MTB back.Clap That bike will shortly be delivered to patham, who then becomes the proud new owner of this mean machine!!Clap

Francois is in for the operation on his elbow at the moment. Hope everything goes well Franna.

Thank you M. Laubscher for your contribution to the account!

I will be off to Knysna tomorrow, so will see how the reporting goes!! 

Everyone driving there... drive safely and enjoy the weekend.

Net goeie nuus vandag. Gisteraand het Francois BAIE pyn na die operasie gehad, maar vandag is dinge baie beter. Die "contraption" is opgeslaan danksy die shopfitters van PA Venter op Worcester. Nou kan ons sommer direk met die ''main konyn gesels!Clap

HOEZIT POEPOL!!! Welkom op die die Hub FRANNA!!!''

Die rekening het ook nog 'n bydrae ontvang van INVSTC PB en staan vanoggend op R21150.00.

Baie dankie mense!!!

Spokes2009-07-03 01:57:13

Howzit Poepol!!!  Tongue (Anybody that has been fortunate to see the show "DEFENDING THE CAVEMAN" will appreciatte this form of greating... LOLLOL

Hi there everybody!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got too many thank you's, so that will follow later.... just a quick update.

Like Riaan said, my laptop is now mounted to a special swing arm, and there's also a contraption that holds an overhead TV.

AND the biggest bonus is that the hospital has just this past week installed DSTV! Just in time to watch the last few days of Wimbledon and then of course the TDF!!!

Have lots more to say, but gotta go for another set of x-rays on elbow after yesterdays 2nd op.

Cheers vir eers.Hug

Howzit Poepol!!!  Tongue (Anybody that has been fortunate to see the show "DEFENDING THE CAVEMAN" will appreciatte this form of greating... LOLLOL

Hi there everybody!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got too many thank you's' date=' so that will follow later.... just a quick update.

Like Riaan said, my laptop is now mounted to a special swing arm, and there's also a contraption that holds an overhead TV.

AND the biggest bonus is that the hospital has just this past week installed DSTV! Just in time to watch the last few days of Wimbledon and then of course the TDF!!!

Have lots more to say, but gotta go for another set of x-rays on elbow after yesterdays 2nd op.

Cheers vir eers.Hug
[/quote']

ClapClapClapClapClap

hi francois,

glad ur up & running...WinkWinkWink

I need to start making soooooo many thank you's to so many people:

1st and DEFINATELY formost, I have to thank GOD my saviour, for sparing my life. (According to the doctor's it was a matter of 2mm between life & death!! Shocked)

I've had plenty of time to reflect and I'm pretty sure it will dawn upon me while I'm lying on my back for the next few weeks, as to what purpose the Lord still has for me here on earth. More on this later....

2nd I have to thank my wife Natasha. Liefie, jy is FAAN TAS TIES!!!!!! Heart

I could keep typing for the rest of the afternoon to just tell you all what a wonderfull and supporting wife I have been blessed with. Add to this that we celebrated our 6th month wedding aniversary in hospital.... 

3rd I definately have to thank my mate Riaan / aka SPOKES. Not only has be been instrumental in starting a fund for me, but he's been keeping you all updated AND he's helped me sell the infamous Opus too!!!! Thanks ou maat, jy is 'n superster.

(And all this while he is actually supposed to worry about training for Veterans world track champs).

4th I need to thank Ronnie Roodbol from COMPUTER MANIA in Worcester.

Ronnie was supposed to just join us for aroute scouting trip with his Jeep, and the plan was that he would help with timing. Well that was till I decided to go and play "EVIL KANEVIL" and ended up in a ditch...

Ronnie took over the organising, layout, marking etc etc etc etc of the route. (All those of you who have been involved with organising events will appreciatte it even more).

The feedback I've received is that Ronnie did a wonderfull job.

Then to each and everybody for their best wishes & prayers, all the support has blown me away. Family, friends, club members, customers and so many others. 

Every single visit, messages, gifts or phone call has been appreciated. BAIE DANKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Not to menion all those who have made contributions / donations, thanks to all of you. Every little bit helps... (The 1st bill for rehab from the physio has already arrived....Shocked).

1st Edit: (I'm sure I'll remember a few more)

All those who are helping / supporting my wife & kids while I'm lying in hospital, with so many things.

"Oom" Flip Piek & his staff from the NID for building the bridge where my accident happened, so you could all ride over "Franna se neck" Wink

And a big thanks to MEDICLINIC for installing DSTV in all the hospital rooms, your timing is impeccable. Just in time for last few days of Wimbledon & the TOUR DE FRANCE!!!!!ClapClap

And a HUGE thanks to Phillip Le Roux & his staff at PA VENTER shopfitters, for building a bracket to mount my laptop overhead so I can access my laptop, the shop, the internet and of course www.thehubsa.co.za !!!Big%20smile 

(Once I'm done with it I'm donating it to the hospital for future patients since PA Venter charged me NOTHING!!)

WorcesterWheelers2009-07-03 10:03:41

glad ur up & running...WinkWinkWink

Well at least my laptop is up & running.....LOLLOLLOL

Me, I'll still be on my back for at least another 3-5 weeks in hospital, and a few more at home.....

I've not even bothered to ask the doctor for a time scale after the innitial hospital period.

A: Because its much too long a time to start stressing about such a long timespan, and

B: Since its the second time I've managed to break my neck, I have good idea of what challenges still lie ahead on the road to full recovery.

So I'm taking it one day at a time.

Update on recovery process:

Elbow hurt like hell last night after yesterdays 2nd op to elbow. Dr removed a piece of bone fragment and also joined some of the torn ligaments.

He seems confident that I will regain full range of motion in the arm (with PLENTY painfull physio to come I'm sure....)

As for neck, it feels better every day. Less pain every time they turn me onto my side to change bedding & wash my back to avoid bedsores.

After 4 weeks they might be able to remove the "cones" from my head (see earlier picture of me in traction).

Ok, enough for today, good luck to all those riding Knysna this weekend.

Edited Monday 6 June:

(JEESH my spelling sucked)Embarrassed 
WorcesterWheelers2009-07-06 12:51:18