Rear axle removal?

Juan

Which way does it come out? towards the freebody or the other way? Can someone please explain how to remove it?

With cone spanners, allen keys or a mallet. It all depends on what type of hub it is.

You don't say what type of hub you have. Some cartridge bearing hubs restrict you in which way the axle comes out. With cup and cone bearings it can come out any way.

With rear cup and cone bearings you always remove the left side jam nut and cone and pull the axle out through the freehub. This is so that you dont have to sukkel to adjust cones and jam nuts in the recesses of the freehub body.

Thanks Capricorn - mine doesn't work like that.

Hog - unfortunately the angle grinder wont be an option here.

The Bike is a 07 Silverback Nebraska - i will post some pics of the hub later toady. Trying to get specs of it but have had no luck.

Ok... here are some pics. I've loosened the nut on the other side to push the axle through the free body. it wasn't that easy though... So, i resorted to a mallet and some passive persuasion... Then after m*#ring it a few times the free body is unable to turn... Which kind of tells me that it shouldn't be m*#red... What am i doing wrong?

20090624_011242_hub.JPG

Moer it back.

I can't see what type of hub this is and don't know what type of bearings are in there. As I said, if it is cartridge bearings, the technique will be completely different from cup-and-cone bearings.

Ja, its a Novatec hub. not sure what bearings it has. Most probably cup and cone.

"With rear cup and cone bearings you always remove the left side jam nut and cone and pull the axle out through the freehub. This is so that you dont have to sukkel to adjust cones and jam nuts in the recesses of the freehub body." this doesn't work, johan, or am i being thick?

Novatec it is, seems to be a G342GCC, which is cup and cone. Put the hammer away, and read up on how to service this type of hub on Park Tool's site.

http://www.novatec.com.tw/novatec/english/p_show.php?sid=323

Edit - missed your last post. Make sure you have taken everything out, cone included - you should be able to see ball bearings around the axle. If not, then you've either left something behind, or it's a sealed bearing hub. I can't find exploded views of the cup and cone hubs online, but the link below has of the sealed bearing type.

http://www.novatec.com.tw/novatec/english/download.php?dir=file&filename=1236219739.pdfdroo2009-06-24 02:09:03

Okay... i had a look on the Novatec site and it this one, D142SBT.

20090624_025326_actual_hub.jpg

here is the exploded view. How now? see pic below...

20090624_025612_hub_exploded.JPG

I have damaged 14 due to using inferior cone wrenches. Any ideas how to Droo?

New question then - why are you trying to get the axle out? Start by looking for a service manual, it'll have a disassembly sequence on it. Chances are you'll need special tools though, expanding drifts and such. My advice - LBS it.

Taking out the axle to service the hub, bearings, etc. Will look for a service manual. Thanks for the help, Droo, much appreciated.

Service with sealed bearings = replace. Pretty easy when you know how, and can get the right bearing...

Service with sealed bearings = replace. Pretty easy when you know how' date=' and can get the right bearing...[/quote']

Any tips on the how? Need to do my front wheel, same hubs ......