Pimp(ing) my Ride - Story

DownhillGuru

So I've decided to bite the bullet and 'Pimp my Ride'. As opposed to sending my bike off to my local bike shop and commissioning the pro's like Cycle Art or Token freak to do a custom paint job, I've decided on a finish which I'll hopefully achieve with a little help from some friends.

I hope this can make for some interesting reading.

So here goes:

This is my current ride. I bought it off a fellow hubber earlier this year.

20090702_065518_Maroon_Finish_1.jpg

I'm really happy with this ride as it's so well suited to the type of riding I enjoy (Agressive All Mountain / Freeride). It's pretty much standard spec apart from the KS Cobra seatpost (Sweeeeet!!), I changed the bars to my favorite risers and the seat is a temporary item I borrowed from Hillbilly after mine was trashed on the Lesotho Thin Air Challenge! Damn that seat is ugly!!

So last Friday my assistant and I started wrenching:

20090702_074433_Assistant.jpg

So after a few glasses of my favourite fermented grape juice, this is the progress with my assistant (now restrained due to bike part being resorted a doxen times) and the 'Garage Lappie Thief in the background.

20090702_075614_Partly_Disassem.jpg

...Saturday morning and we're ready to start stripping the paint.

20090702_080736_Frame_Parts_2.jpg

No turning back now! Good bye Maroon hello Allu...

20090702_081546_Frame_Partly_St.jpg

I'm done with the paint stripper and start the painfull process of scrubbing the frame with steel wool. After 3 hours my finger tip are raw and the frame looks like this...

20090702_082711_Frame_Scoured.jpg
DownhillGuru2009-07-02 08:46:49

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just changing that seatDead will be a huge improvement, the rest is perfect.Thumbs%20Up Bionic man2009-07-02 06:56:06

Just changing that seatDead will be a huge improvement' date=' the rest is perfect.Thumbs%20Up [/quote']

HAHA says he the man that has had more bicycles in one year than most have in a life time ;)

I think he has seen his LBS prices and is now recovering in the hospital bed next to Joost.

the oke's fingers are stuffed now, can't type no more.....

stripping paint (completely) is hard work.....

Did a similar pimping job with my DH bike, had it powder coated. The thickness of the coating meant everything which had some type of fitment to the frame had to be sanded down 1mm. Two expensive bearings, new grips, seatpost, seatclamp and lots of money later I am quite proud of it