Brake shudder with alligator pads

mongoose_dude

I recently bought a new set of alligator brake pads (for Shimano XT disk brakes). Braking now feels horribly rough and the brakes shudder at times. I cleaned everything (no, not with an oily solvent), and sanded the pads. The rotor is not bent, and my previous pads did not feel this rough on the same rotor. Why the heck does this happen?

Any ideas? Could it be that the pads are simply crap?

Would like to sort this out before the Knysna race - so your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

pour some water on it and break them in. I ride while I'm holding the brakes and this almost "cooks" the pads. I then pour some more water over it and continue riding. I repeat this untill the squeeking and shuddering stops. I have no idea if this is the correct way but it works for me.

pour some water on it and break them in. I ride while I'm holding the brakes and this almost "cooks" the pads. I then pour some more water over it and continue riding. I repeat this untill the squeeking and shuddering stops. I have no idea if this is the correct way but it works for me.

Thanks - will give that a try... Somehow I just can't justify spending R300+ on a set of original shimano XT pads. A set of pads for my car costs less than that!! Shocked

ever tried getting hold of the local agent in SA , check on the aligator website under contacts

Im running XtR metal pads On aligator Discs and My breaking have been shocking.. mabe they use the same metal in the discs and the padsLOL

Also getting shuddering.. Its awfull, so now I try not use my brakes.

I wonder if the wavey pattern has anything to do with it? cause after it shudders..haha such a funny word, shudder.. that sounds like a fat lady getting a fright.. sorry where was I..  Oh then it start squeeling.. and everyone in the visinity drops what theyr doing and stares..

When the fat lady sqeels...haha

I have XT brakes and run Aligator rotors no problems, the rear sounds rougher than the front but otherwise fine. I get less squeal with these rotors than standard.

Have you tried cleaning your rotors with some brake cleaner... or maybe sanding them a little...

I am the agent for Alligator in South Africa, they produce 3 types of pads, organic (resin), semi-metallic (some metal) and sintered (more metal). Depending on the type of pad you are using combined with rotor shape and also the weather you can experience shuddering or poor braking power. This can be difficult to solve as depends on the brake itself, alignment of the callipers, riders braking style. If you would like to contact me to dicuss please call me on 0827070110

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I have bought a set of Fibrax pads for XT / XTR, and they work fine... So clearly it's not the rotor / caliper system.

From what I have heard, quite a few people are happy with Alligator rotors, but not with their pads... TITUS: Will gladly discuss that with you at some stage... I'll get back to you after the Knysna race (assuming my Mongoose and I make it through the 85km hehehe Wink)

Thank goodness... just shelled out for a new set of Alligator rotors and haven't tested 'em yet. Lookin at getting some Swisstop pads tho... anyone got reports of these?

Standard Tektro ones were shaite!!!

I replaced my Avid Juicy 5 pads with some Alligator generics (R125 per set vs R230 per set) and performance has been fine. No shudder, fade etc detected.