Yes I said it!!

The Saint

Phil is past his sell by date - there I said it.

He is becomming a bit like Murray Walker with his continuous mistakes. I think it is time for him to move on and let Paul become the voice of cycling.

But then again Arnie has been making stupid comments for years and he is still around!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Big H

Phil is past his sell by date - there I said it.

He is becomming a bit like Murray Walker with his continuous mistakes. I think it is time for him to move on and let Paul become the voice of cycling.

But then again Arnie has been making stupid comments for years and he is still around!

Tell that to Phill, we do not need to hear that.

its all becoming a bit stale if u ask me...both our presenters and phil and paul have said the exact same things for years. If the stages were similar, u could almost take last years commentary and put it with this years images, and no one would even know....

They need a recently-retired pro to make the commentary more current and insightful. Preferably not someone that feels the need to mention Lance Armstrong every 32 seconds....

Muxman, what is the name of the planet that  is (has) next to Venus in the mornings?

They need a recently-retired pro to make the commentary more current and insightful.

Continuing the F1 theme, Martin Brundle was awesome; blunt, direct, respected enough by drivers to get the kinda access no non racer would ever get.....

So yes, somebody speak with Jens Voigt's agent and get him pre signed to a broadcasting deal asap (probably another 2 season's on the bike I know, but he's the perfect future commentator)

Phil is a legend and the Tour is richer for his commentary. It?s also great that he is so pro South African riders and our big races. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I think he is great

They need a recently-retired pro to make the commentary more current and insightful. Preferably not someone that feels the need to mention Lance Armstrong every 32 seconds....

I agree...only 32 seconds, could've sworn it was more often than that.

My best is when they both say the same thing cause they were busy commentating on another show!

Muxman' date=' what is the name of the planet that  is (has) next to Venus in the mornings? [/quote']

I have not checked the star charts recently but a few weeks ago Jupiter was very close to Venus in the morning sky at about 5:30am towards the East. Mercury was below that midway to the horizon and Mars was on the Horizon in the Eastern sky.

Lately walking out i the mornings at about 06:30 I can only clearly see Venus.

here in the cape there was a little star just under venus at about 06:20 as time has moved its getting further away at 06:20

Slowbee here is the up to date info for you - happy star gazing winter is the best time

Planets ? morning and evening July:
Mercury will be visible about 1 hour before sunrise during the first week of the month, At mid month it becomes an evening object, but is close to the sun. Venus remains bright in the morning sky throughout the month, rising two to three hours before sunrise. Mars is visible in the morning sky for about 3 hours throughout the month.

Jupiter rises just after sunset, being visible throughout the night. Saturn is visible for about four hours after sunset. Uranus rises about two hours before midnight and will be visible in the constellation Pisces till sunrise. Neptune rises a few hours after sunset and can be seen in the constellation Capricornus.

Venus and Mars can be spotted together in the eastern sky before sunrise, being closest to each other at the start of the month. On the 25th Saturn will be close to a young waxing crescent moon in the north-western sky at 6 PM.

As long as it's not whoever commentated on the MTB XC World Cup in Madrid, Spain!!!

Ligget and his sidekick have good voices for commentating as well as a good rapport. If it's possible to carry that through we could have the best of both worlds!

Sounds like Mars - Mars is very far away from us at this time contrary to the e-mail going around which is from years gone by.

Gimme a few minutes to try find your mystery planet or star

Ok here it is. Mars appears above Venus in the morning at about 06:30am in Cape Town. So if your object is below that in the Eastern sky it would more than likely be one of the following stars Alnath which is on the horizon or Aur - probably Alnath at magnitude 1.65.

You may also be looking at Betelgeuse, Sirius or Rigel but they are a bit higher up and more towards direct east.

Download a program called Stellarium about 40 megs and is freeware, just search for it in Google. It is easy to use and will help you get your bearings, go out tomorrow morning and compare what you see in the sky to what you see on your computer and you should find your star in no time -