LBS vs CRC

PappaBear

Guest Big H
Guys - I am not sure what industries you are in' date=' but I am in the cycle industry!

Last month I know of 3 bike shops in the Western Cape who closed! Probably about 20 SA people with no income. Their no doubt is a ripple effect as the cycle wholesalers fight for the money that is owed to them by shops closing - and start to retrench people.

Now please consider this - assuming you have a job or are the owner of a company:

The more people who go out of business in SA the sooner it will start affecting you directly - that not just the cycle industry.

For Argument sake in the good time on a personnel level I:

1. Used to eat out quite often - anyone who know me know I was a lot fatter then I am now! So any of you guys in the restaurant and grosser industry - well you loosing out.

2. For the guys in the financial industry well this year I have closed 3 account with bank - the one I have had since I was 12 years old - so my banking fees have drop. This year is the last time I will be using an accountant for income tax.

3. For you guys in the freight industry up until last year I used clearing agents - this year I have been clearing goods myself.

4. For those landlords out their well you guys who are still fully let and getting full rent well done, but I am sure most of you aren't depending on the size of your portfolio - luckily for you interest rates are quite low now - if you have bonds on the properties, but consider this a vacant property is more risky than a tenanted property so maybe cut some slack on the tenants if they long term tenants.

5. For you guys in the motor industry I used to take my car to be serviced and cleaned - now I do it myself.

What I am trying to say is by NOT supporting local in all industries, what ever industry you in, you may just not be required in the future - so you too may be out of a job - so for this topic and not to high jack the tread completely - possibly paying just that little extra for your cycle product by supporting local - may be the reason why and very indirectly - but use your imagination - their is still food on your table.

Please also remember the cycle industry is also one of those industries in South Africa where the marked price is normally not the price you pay! So please ask what your LBS can offer you in terms of a discount before you put food on the table for an overseas website (once again for any industry - not just the cycling industry) - it may end up taking the food off your table! [/quote']

My cash in my own pocket reigns supreme. Sympathy will not get me to buy from any "LBS". I do have my favourite LBS that I use to purchase items if it suits me. I will also support other LBS's if it suits me. If I am in Angola I normally order from www.chainrectioncycles.com to coincide with my South African visit. If any LBS in RSA cannot adapt they must die....... like the Dodo who was flightless and could not flee from hungry hunters.

DO NOT PLEAD SYMPATHY!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be posting some specials tomorrow / maybe latter today - then you guys can tell me then if CRC is cheap! But....

Guys is it fair to compare prices in UK to RSA prices? We have far higher interest rates and for retails - In the Uk if a shop stands empty the landlord pays additional taxes so getting rent free premises is possible their. In RSA one of the biggest overheads for a shop is rent - landlord in RSA do not have the same motivation as in the UK to keep premises occupied. This is just one area where they can have saving not to mention market size where the turn over is much higher thus they can by cheaper in the cycle industry!

Guest Big H
I will be posting some specials tomorrow / maybe latter today - then you guys can tell me then if CRC is cheap! But....

Guys is it fair to compare prices in UK to RSA prices? We have far higher interest rates and for retails - In the Uk if a shop stands empty the landlord pays additional taxes so getting rent free premises is possible their. In RSA one of the biggest overheads for a shop is rent - landlord in RSA do not have the same motivation as in the UK to keep premises occupied. This is just one area where they can have saving not to mention market size where the turn over is much higher thus they can by cheaper in the cycle industry!

Stop whinging...... again........ the cash in MY pocket reigns supreme. I do not really care where I buy as long as I get the optimum value for MY money...... capice!!!!!!!!

If I can get a SLX derailurer for R550 from Chris, but R485 at CRC - then I will rather go to Chris cause at least I can jump in my car a fetch it same day. R65 is not an issue.

But if I can Avid VBrakes for less than half the SA retail from CRC - then its obvious that CRC will get my business.

Its retail - lowest prices always win.

These are my offers for this month and while stocks last. All items are new 2009 and in Cape Town. The groupsets are the traditional 8 pcs groupsets - no hubs / headsets / seat pillars and pedals. I have only 172.5mm or 175mm crank and some variance in cassette from 11-23 to 12 -25 depending on the groupsets. The MTB groupsets are with gear shift levers and brake levers. I also have some road frames - not 2009 - which if purchased discounts will be offered on the road groupset prices per frame. Please do NOT go to my Icycling website as it is way out of date and in active.

Shimano:

Ultegra SL                                          R6995.00

Dura Ace 7900                                    R16 995.00

XT                                                      R6795.00

XTR                                                    R12 995.00

Campy:

Super Record 11 sp                             R19 995.00

SRAM:

Red                                                    R14995.00

Spinergy Wheel sets, go to www.spinergy.com for more info:

Road

Xaero white or black spokes                   R4495.00

Stealth white or black spokes               R7595.00

MTB

Xcyclone                                               R4495.00

Xcyclone disc                                        R5295.00

These prices are for Southern Africa only. PM me should you be interested. You guys know - are they comparable to CRC cycles?

Dealers may apply for dealer discount.

?

Stop whinging...... again........ the cash in MY pocket reigns supreme. I do not really care where I buy as long as I get the optimum value for MY money...... capice!!!!!!!!

LOL, i was going to say a similar thing, just not as blunt :P but yes, we dont care what it costs you, only what it costs us. That's just another tug on the emotion to arm twist consumers to saving the LBS. Sorry bud, i'm with H on this one. Think of the times some poor sod rolled up to ask for a discount and you wouldnt budge. No emotional armtwisting of my own. I simply understand it's not personal; its business.

Capricorn - I hope my prices don't require a discount to be asked - but I have offered 1 if a frame should be purchased.

Guest Big H
These are my offers for this month and while stocks last. All items are new 2009 and in Cape Town. The groupsets are the traditional 8 pcs groupsets - no hubs / headsets / seat pillars and pedals. I have only 172.5mm or 175mm crank and some variance in cassette from 11-23 to 12 -25 depending on the groupsets. The MTB groupsets are with gear shift levers and brake levers. I also have some road frames - not 2009 - which if purchased discounts will be offered on the road groupset prices per frame. Please do NOT go to my Icycling website as it is way out of date and in active.

Shimano:

Campy:

SRAM:

Spinergy Wheel sets' date=' go to www.spinergy.com for more info:

Road

MTB

These prices are for Southern Africa only. PM me should you be interested. You guys know - are they comparable to CRC cycles?

[/quote']

Yipppeeeee!!!!!!! Angola is in Southern Africa???????

Wikipeadia Definition ........

Every industry is suffering in these tough economic times and the cycling industry is not immune. Businesses have to adapt their business model and cannot continue to trade as they have previously done.

The biggest problem with the cycling industry in SA is the lack of volumes moved, which then equates to high input cost which is then passed onto the end-user ie us ! Cyclists today are very much aware of obtaining value for money and if that means importing directly themselves, so be it.

I'll always support my lbs but if their cost prices for large items that I need are higher than what I can import that product for, then unfortunately my business and money will spent overseas.

Shimano:

Campy:

SRAM:

Spinergy Wheel sets' date=' go to www.spinergy.com for more info:

Road

MTB

[/quote']

Icycling, very nice prices, good to see some more bargains. Much cheaper than most shops!

But still got my XTR groupset much cheaper from cwc.

Also ordered myself a new set of mavic wheels, they arriving soon, and they are 2k cheaper than CRC.

Super2009-07-12 13:24:01

I agree with Big H. I also think that if more shops looked after their customers when the going was good they wouldn't be as affected by the crunch. Most shops however employ cyclists / cycling fans / cheap labour and they don't always make good sales people. And a big percentage of the bigger shops have a holier than thou attitude.

When the economy was good they could afford to not help or not care or be condescending...now things are tough and customers are scares.

Should have looked after us when you were rolling in it.

Sorry, me again. Another thing: just look at the amount of dealers & agents on The Hub all of a sudden. Shouldn't they have been pushing their brands before shops started closing down? Shouldn't they have spend a couple of bucks on marketing before no one was buying? All the specials and price reductions...come on guys.

Buy a copy of who moved my cheese and roll with the times.

Were is everybody getting their stock from all of a sudden that they can sell it at such good prices? Are they pressuring the distributors or are they bringing it in themselves?

I will always support my LBS.

5 years ago(I think) I bought a Raleigh RC8000. Had it 18 months and took it in for a service about 2 weeks before the 94. Owner of LBS called to say they had picked up a crack in the frame and had already contacted Raleigh and a replacement was on its way up. Long story short I received my bike back well in time for the 94. Total cost R450 for the service and a few bits I needed repaired.