LBS vs CRC

PappaBear

I am sure here are dealers on the hub trying to convince us to buy from them rather than from CRC. The problem is that these prices in SA are just not comparible to CRC in many instances, otherwise i would buy local

Just look at these wheelsets; The XT 775 is about R2800 + vat  and

Shimano XTR Wheels Disc Only M975   + add vat; Somebody is creaming it here in SA

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Interface/Offers/Sale.gif
In StockPair F&R Black/XTR Grey 24h C-Lock
5710.68 ZAR

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ,it is hard earned money we spending,but we getting easier backup from lbs,warranty claims etc.

Watch out boys / girls

Williams Bike shop in Somerset West is really in contention with the prices on CRC ... you can even pick up Rock Shox forks for less by him and the SRAM goodies are also well on Par.

H

I am sure here are dealers on the hub trying to convince us to buy from them rather than from CRC. The problem is that these prices in SA are just not comparible to CRC in many instances' date=' otherwise i would buy local
Just look at these wheelsets; The XT 775 is about R2800 + vat  and
Shimano XTR Wheels Disc Only M975   + add vat; Somebody is creaming it here in SA

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Interface/Offers/Sale.gif
In StockPair F&R Black/XTR Grey 24h C-Lock
5710.68 ZAR
[/quote']

The important thing to bear in mind here is that litte "sale" sticker. It's the one thing that differentiates so-called 1st world cycling markets from ours...

In Europe and the US, if something is a previous year's model, it goes on sale at a hugely discounted price (like above). Here in SA, the shop in question will continue to keep last year's item on the shelf at the original price, because they quite simply can't afford to discount it. Why? Logically, it's because of volumes. When you move a lot of stock, individual lagging items affect your bottom-line less, and you're better off flogging them at cost. If you only sell a few (ie hundreds) of items a year, you're very reliant on every cent you can make out of each.

Most items on CRC that are significantly cheaper than the local alternative are sale items. At "non-sale" pricing, like someone commented earlier, levels are often pretty comparable!

Watch out boys / girls

Williams Bike shop in Somerset West is really in contention with the prices on CRC ... you can even pick up Rock Shox forks for less by him and the SRAM goodies are also well on Par.

H

putting that claim to the test on a rockshox vivid 5.1. Let's see what you're worth :P

Please name the LBS in question. If its Chris Willemse then they are an exception because they import the goods themselves.

I will buy from Chris before i buy from CRC' date=' but Chris has a limited range of stock and doesn't always have what i want.

[/quote']

Just corrected your thread there quickly mate. LOL

Given up on the last two Cape Town orders as CRC do not have stock of what I want.

Watch out boys / girls

H

putting that claim to the test on a rockshox vivid 5.1. Let's see what you're worth :P

As mentioned in other posts, Williams (my LBS of choice) is way cheaper with most goods. He is also dead hounest and fair with his pricing and is aware of CRC deals !!!

Not a big one, but an 8sp shimano XTR chain by him his R180 vs R240 from CRC. Not to mention my wife got my Park Tool floor pump cheaper by him and in 3 days.

I will continue to support them because if he is not the cheapest his prices are still good and his service is excellent!!!!

more than 10min already and CW cant give me a quote on that rockshox.... oi! 

:P

You did speak to Williams and Chris Willemse????

Ones in Somerset West and the others in Dodgeville, I mean Bellville LOL

make that 25min....

should it matter who at WBS i speak with? isnt their ethos infused in all that work for them, since they all are reps for the same WBS yes?

edit: soz for the confusion: i meant WBS not CW ;)

Capricorn2009-07-10 06:33:02

Okay, so CRC eventually get my goodies in stock and then all of a sudden half the goods on my wish list have disappeared!!! like magic. After an hour I see that they removed them from their catalogue.

So now I'm interested in SLX (Thanks to TREAD) and wanna get a rear derailurer:

CRC = 385.48 ZAR and after I do my maths = R484

CWC = R550

So for R66 more I can get from CWC and if the sh*t hits my spokes like in the TREAD revue I'm no more than 30minutes away from getting it sorted. I'll pay R66 for that piece of mind.

OKay, so now I'm looking at cable cutter - cheapest is a PEDRO for R300. A quick google brings them up at hardware stores for R130.

So now my whish list has dwindled from an original R3K downto R500!

All I got left is just the Avid Single Digit 7 VBrakes (front & rear) and some Astros!

Starting to see that supporting local is getting really lekker! Thanks Chris!!!

All I got left is just the Avid Single Digit 7 VBrakes (front & rear) and some Astros!

Make me an offer for the hardly used SL version on my Merida mtb.

(I built up a carbon FLX with v-brakes just for the fun of it... YES I'm a weight weenie.LOL).

The complete bike is up sale since I wont be able to ride it for a while Ouch.

But most people would probably want me to take off the v-brakes & have disks fitted....

Spoke with one of the chaps at William's Bike Shop, and they do have some awesome pricing on their Rockshox Boxxers. Definitely gonna source a Boxxer from them.

However, they said the pricing is purely to compete against CRC. 0.o. But he warned it cant last. CRC is champing at everyone's prices. Worldwide. Hell, it might end up that we have a local office here :P /dreams on...

But seriously, the LBSs might see a consolidation: smaller shops fall away, and the bigger ones fall under one or two roofs. Larger buying power, bigger discounts, more effective competition against CRC et al. Win-win for everyone, except the family owned LBSs.?

Unless some bar-steward decides to whisper into the ears of the local revenue offices to get the import duties hard stamped each time without fail, and at higher rates, just to protect and tolerate greedy bar-stewards who dont understand the concept of competition. Same way Poison Ivy prevented independant internet service providers from laying their own networks, ie hire wire from Telbitch, thus maintaining the monopoly.

CRC is good for the us in ZA. Just remains to be seen who of the local LBSs catches a wake up call first, and forms an effective long term counter offensive.

Make me an offer for the hardly used SL version on my Merida mtb.

(I built up a carbon FLX with v-brakes just for the fun of it... YES I'm a weight weenie.LOL).

The complete bike is up sale since I wont be able to ride it for a while Ouch.

But most people would probably want me to take off the v-brakes & have disks fitted....

Thanks, you save me a effort of creating a new thread. I will only be getting my bonus in 13 days (... and counting ...) and need to replace at least my front VBrake before MTB Challenge LOL

Can't take DISC and my current bike will become my wifes in March when I upgrade.

I will follow up with, thanks, Christopher

EDIT: Had to check CRC quickly as I'm still new to the scene: Those Avids are what I originally looked at - your tempting me !!!!

cbrunsdon2009-07-11 15:25:26