LBS vs CRC

PappaBear

I'm quite happy to pay any duties or vat that is owed to SARS. These people that are saying that SARS are targeting CRC are trying to scare us for nothing. So what if CRC are being targeted' date=' we have nothing to hide.

If you know that Camelbacks have 30% duty then you should definitely

factor that in  to your costs and decide if its worth your while.

If it turns out that I have to get an import license to buy from CRC I will do so. I am going to pay a visit to SARS next week and find out what it takes to get one.

[/quote']

It is 2 forms and for free.Got mine 15 years ago when i started ordering from CRC.Don't listen to all this BS about targeting CRC etc,NOTHING has changed or will change from sars side.Saying that they are now targeting or checking stuff from CRC implies that they haven't been doing it in the past.What utter BS.If you have done any importing you will know that sars do thier job properly.They are not poepols.Funny that the only people talking about these checks are lbs owners or suppliers wanting you to buy from them.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stringbean: I hesitantly agree with you that nothing should change. However, the scary scenario is that to protect channel, they remove the duty free status from the spares previously enjoying it. Consider yourselves then, properly jailbroken.

I'm quite happy to pay any duties or vat that is owed to SARS. These people that are saying that SARS are targeting CRC are trying to scare us for nothing. So what if CRC are being targeted' date=' we have nothing to hide.

If you know that Camelbacks have 30% duty then you should definitely

factor that in  to your costs and decide if its worth your while.

If it turns out that I have to get an import license to buy from CRC I will do so. I am going to pay a visit to SARS next week and find out what it takes to get one.

[/quote']

It is 2 forms and for free.Got mine 15 years ago when i started ordering from CRC.Don't listen to all this BS about targeting CRC etc,NOTHING has changed or will change from sars side.Saying that they are now targeting or checking stuff from CRC implies that they haven't been doing it in the past.What utter BS.If you have done any importing you will know that sars do thier job properly.They are not poepols.Funny that the only people talking about these checks are lbs owners or suppliers wanting you to buy from them.

Disagree on this statement when refering to individuals - might apply to businesses or registered importers as yourself.

I've been buying stuff online since 2002 and have received gifts from overseas since 1984. Never once has it been predictable. Sometimes I paid, sometimes not - gifts & orders. And sometimes gift items got "confiscated".

If registering as an importer (forms available to download - PDF with fields - from SARS) will make it easier then I will consider it, actually I should do it. Couple of retail lines my wife would prefer to import for her business than work through reps - overpricing is not limited to cycling!!!

Not really ,the lbs will then have to pay even more then he is already paying.You can't have one import duty for a agent and another for joe soap.

Stringbean: I hesitantly agree with you that nothing should change.

Agree

However' date=' the scary scenario is that to protect channel, they remove the duty free status from the spares previously enjoying it. Consider yourselves then, properly jailbroken.

[/quote']

This is my understanding about the whole issue.

What distributors are also trying to rattle cages about are group orders. They are making it clear to SARS that groups of individuals take turns to order items and thus bypass import requirements for repeat imports in a annual cycle.

Wow - Mufasa !!! LOL

Will be interesting to see how they police this.

Thought about this problem there is no way of policing this exept if the local police comissioner is a fellow hubber and is willing to risk the pleasure of cycling of others to make a few extra thousand in lost import duties a year. Distributers should rather focus that energy, if it is so, to regenerate the lost revenue instead of fighting a losing battle.

Thought about this problem there is no way of policing this exept if the local police comissioner is a fellow hubber and is willing to risk the pleasure of cycling of others to make a few extra thousand in lost import duties a year. Distributers should rather focus that energy' date=' if it is so, to regenerate the lost revenue instead of fighting a losing battle.[/quote']

Love the statement on distributors Thumbs%20Up There is a reason why CRC continues to do business in South Africa - oh, and its not just limited to them either, couple of other online shops are catering for us too.

So tomorrow everyone go get your importers lisence from sars,its FREE i tell you and you all legal.SARS are not going to change thier policy or rules because of a few whiners.Imagine if everytime someone stops buying from you because they can get it cheaper somewhere else you run to sars.They don't care about any of this believe me.They are doing thier job and they are not loosing out so why should they care.

Ordered goggles from CRC yesterday after 2pm. My sister just dropped me a Skype message to say they have been delivered at her office in Surrey.

Sorry' date=' what's a "LBS"?

[/quote']You pay your LBS at SARS together with your SDL & UIF

ok, so on both counts, manfrog and jacks, what the hell has it to do with an online bike store?

The question is: Whether to buy from your LBS (Local Bike Shop) or from CRC (Chain Reaction Cycles - online store)

Price vs speed vs service vs happy cyclist vs happy wife.