Electricity prices

Frosty

For those on pre-paid East Rand electricity...

A unit now costs R1.03 - that's a 55% increase in 4 monthsAngryAngryAngryAngry

In Jan, Feb and Mar this year it was R0.57/unit

Add 27% (I think from last year) = R0.73 (which I was paying in Apr, May and Jun)

Add the recent 31% increase as confirmed in Jul this year = R0.94/unit

Difference between R0.94 and R1.03 = 9% (decimals ignored) - what's this for??

Not going to cry about it, there's nothing I can do about it... what would be nice is if the 100 free units per month were also increased by the same %.

Free units in Jan, Feb and Mar = 100

Increase in April = 127 units

Increase in July = 166 units

Missing 9% = 181 units

Venting over!! Can breathe normally again - don't need a fridge switched in winter to keep the beers cold.

Damn irritating, and the municipal strike and big increase those guys will get will hit our rates next year as well, pay pay and pay, thats what the government expects from us. Just going to have to give myself a pay rise.

We dont get any free units on our minipality either so its the full rate with nothing else :(

Its getting out of hand.

I paid I think 65c a Unit - still on charity rates and get my free 50 units a month.

To cut costs we now only have 1 panel heater left in the house and we use it for 3 hrs max a night.

what happens if you don't have pre-paid?

you pay later (and hope the meter is read correctly)

Ekurhuleni council will only authorise a connection on a new/built home providing a pre-paid meter is installed. It guarantees they get their money.

On non-prepaid accounts, they (insert the word "should" here) deduct your free units before billing you for the difference - check your account. The rate should be similar... outrageous.

I only noticed it when I found I was running out of electricity by mid-month. R300 got me through the month (since I moved in last November), and since July R600 isn't enough.

I won't even start on the food "fixing" issue.

Frosty2009-07-29 07:37:45

We bought electricity in bulk at our previous office, so we didn't have to buy for over a year - so we avoided the R80 pm gravytrain tax. The people that moved in after us probably had to buy R800 + rands in electricity just to get some units on the meter.

We bought electricity in bulk at our previous office' date=' so we didn't have to buy for over a year - so we avoided the R80 pm gravytrain tax. The people that moved in after us probably had to buy R800 + rands in electricity just to get some units on the meter.
[/quote']

Argh!!!  Nasty!!

I would flip if this was me....imagaine going to buy R400 electricity....and getting no units!!

ConfusedConfusedConfused

the Mosselbay municipality has a tax that you have to pay if you dont buy every month. . .  thought out for all the beach houses