My new lights

thysmeades

I think the damage is doneConfused

I think the apology should stand. 

it takes a big man to accept his mistakes and make a public apology like this.

Apology accepted thys.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to have to say that I had some PM enquiries in a similar as vain as BL from Thys.

He started off "Hi ML, because of you, I have been inspired to build my own lights! I am not really that technical but I want to give it a bash anyway."

I gave him some pointers, but then he wanted detail specs, info on drivers, advice on which is best here and there. The sort of thing you would expect a true DIYer to figure out for himself.

Eventually I suggested that he rather ask his questions on the open forum (which he never did) or do his own Google work.

When he posted Troutie-MTB's beam shot photos without a crediting him, I also smelt a rat and thus my post asking if he is now the SA agent.

As BL has stated, anybody can produce MTB lights, all the info is out there. It is just the way that thys has gone about getting the info which leaves a bit of a sour taste with us DIYers.

But well done to Thys for taking the idea and running with it...

when I can figure out how my bike works AND no longer have to trial testing on my wifes bike, then I will think about my own lights.

So if I pm you guys in about 10 yrs time about lights, reember this post.

Thys,

I think Chris was ok with you using his design and publishing it on the forum if you've made one for yourself and wanted to show others.

That's also why I didn't chirped in earlier.

But it all changed when you put a pricelist up -> indicating production.

Good luck with your lights. I can honestly say that in my 3 years of lights building I have never asked anyone a single question. I gained knowledge by doing research and tests. 

There's no quick and easy way, although it's a lot easier getting ideas with people like Troutie-MTB posting on MTBR. So I get offended if someone walks up to me with those type of questions, because if I don't know something, I do research or figure it out. I'm too proud to ask and expect easy answers.   

Unfortunately, we have to protect what we've worked for.

Enjoy.

Johannes

Brighter-Lights2009-07-31 08:16:02

Sorry to have to say that I had some PM enquiries in a similar as vain as BL from Thys.

He started off "Hi ML' date=' because of you, I have been inspired to build my own lights! I am not really that technical but I want to give it a bash anyway."

I gave him some pointers, but then he wanted detail specs, info on drivers, advice on which is best here and there. The sort of thing you would expect a true DIYer to figure out for himself.

Eventually I suggested that he rather ask his questions on the open forum (which he never did) or do his own Google work.

When he posted Troutie-MTB's beam shot photos without crediting him, I also smelt a rat and thus my post asking if he is now the SA agent.

As BL has stated, anybody can produce MTB lights, all the info is out there. It is just the way that thys has gone about getting the info which leaves a bit of a sour taste with us DIYers.

But well done to Thys for taking the idea and running with it...

[/quote']

OK, Thys has replied since I read BL's post and started typing the above.

(work got in the way in between...)

Thys, I will accept that the apology also applies to me.

However I suggest that you edit your posts containing Troutie's beam shots crediting him for it or better yet, replace with your own beam shots from your own light.

mountain_lion2009-07-31 08:30:12

Thanks Johannes for the response, sorry to have upset you. the thing is, this isn't my main income. I have a great job and this is really just a hobby. I would love to share how i did this with all I know because it has been so exciting for me to learn about it and build. (that's why I thought about a build kit for guys who want to learn)  So, what I have decided is to not go mass market with sales, as I take away the living of those who do this as a big part of their income.

Johannes, you build great lights, I was just chatting to a guy who recently bought one of yours and I said to him that it was a brilliant purchase and it was quality that couldn't be beaten. a real investment.

Troutie, I have already emailed

ML, you got me into this mess in the first place!! thanks for all your initial advice.

To all the rest, BL makes awesome lights, buy his rather. I will sell to the few mates I have in my cycling circle, but it's no massmarket for me..

Thys,

Apology accepted.

I know just how exciting it can be. Putting stuff together and switching it on the first time!

Last June I one night spent from 22:00 to 03:00 taking beamshots in the forest. Rode out 20km with a backpack full of lights... that's what makes it fun!  

Have fun with it. It's fun, and sometimes headaches too.

Regards

Johannes

Hello You guys over there in South Africa I just got activated so can now put my bit in .

I hold no bad feelings for thys and truly feel he has just learnt a bit of a lesson in friendship and not biting the hand that feeds you .

Yes I have no problems with folks copying my stuff for their own use , And if you read my thread on mtbr I was the first to give the XPE leds a try and built the first 6 XPE light which started the ball rolling for Cutters to sell a whole bunch of the leds , and I got a bit of good treatment from Cutters too . I even sold a couple of lights over there in SA so was pretty pleased when Thys was going to buy one

Thys made a bit of a mistake by thinking it was ok to take others hard work and copy it to sell to others .

He has apologised personally to me by email  I have not yet replied but do accept his apology and to be fair he did credit the design to me .

Now if he was to design and build a light of his own then I would most likely still offer advise and help and wish him well trying to sell them  but it is out of order to take a design that a guy has worked hard doing and then ride on the back of that success.

Thys

dont stop making lights  just try and do a bit of the hard work designing  As Brighter-lights says it is great fun  I already have a killer new design for the Troutlight and a whole raft of ideas floating around in my head for insanely stupid lights

Anyways No Hard feelings mate

Chris AKA Trout

TROUTIE2009-07-31 12:27:06

Welcome Troutie!

I have been following and admiring your work over the years. Clap (yes, I am a lurker on mtbr...)

Thys says I apparently inspired him to start building lights (see this thread) so I guess I am also partly resposible here... Embarrassed

Any way, you were one of those who inspired me (Thanks!) so it looks like this is all your own doing after all! LOL

mountain_lion2009-07-31 14:24:26

Thanks you guys  for the welcome 

I will have to have a browse around and find out what goes on over here .

That is another forum to add to the favourites  .

Mountain lion OK I will take the Full blame for this mess Wink

As I have said on MTBR dont be too hard on Thys  he got a bit carried away and seems truly sorry to have upset a few folks  .

just maybe he has built his first lights and will channel his energys into developing one he can call his own

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd add my 2cents...

I'd like to second Troutie's thoughts regarding the use of other peoples designs..

I was a bit miffed to see one of my designs being advertised under another name and with my photo's being used to 'market' them. I do understand that it is in the public domain and there is nothing to stop anyone doing it, was just a bit of a shock when I had the message off Chris.

Thys did contact me to see if it would be ok for him to market my lights under the Supernova name.

We've shared a few emails and I do believe that he just got a bit carried away with it, easily done I reckon.

There's no hard feeling on my side of things as the photo's etc have now been removed.

I do take it as a kind of flattery that he would want to sell them on.

I also blame troutie as it was he who started me off on the DIY thing as I just wanted to make my own lights and, with his help, it just sort of steam rolled to a point where I'm now, hopefully, going into a small of production run with our lights going into a magazine 'light shootout' later this year.

This DIY stuff is so addictive and it's easy to get carried away with so, Thys, no hard feelings mate.

I hope you enjoy the lights you'll be receiving in the post shortly and good luck in the race.

Steve aka deesta on mtbr

well if nothing else Thys has got folk from the Uk onto the Hub ... so SHOT to Thys.

And welcome to Troutie and deesta !

so at the end of all this "lets kiss and make up" where can we get hold of these awesome looking lights ?

is it Thys, Brighter Lights, troutie or deesta ? LOL

I am very pleased to have sorted it all out with Trout and Steve and Johannes. Man, that was close. So yea, Troutie and Steve and on the hub, cool! I paid quite a price for it though!

To be compared to them, with regards to skill and talent, I'm no where close. I do however have some wierd ideas already on paper, so watch this space. If anything, this thread has been an entertaining read.

Respect to all those guys!!

Watch this space.

Thanks you guys  for the welcome 

I will have to have a browse around and find out what goes on over here .

That is another forum to add to the favourites  .

What goes on over here? Mostly a bunch of cyclists talking sh!t. Once in a while there might even be a cycling related discussion which manages to stay on topic without being hijacked...

Not quite on the standard of mtbr and candlepower, but every now and again there are some interesting threads here in the tech shack.

As Slowbee has said  I think we have kissed and made up ,

Here is an extract from an email from me to him

Hi  Thys <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

First up I accept your apology  100%  and harbour no bad feelings for you .

and yes I would still help you if you needed advise . now I have cooled down after the initial reaction  and reading the posts on your Hub forum I think you have been honest  and sincere with your replies .

No keep the pics in your post if you want too and just explain where they came from ,you did after all say it was my design  .

I know there is not a lot of profit in selling lights and it is hard work trying  I know not a lot about Brighter lights and his business but he was a bit upset about your approach and PMd me to point out your transgression . 

Anyways as far as I am concerned  yes make a few and sell them to your mates  and even to your hub forum mates  and then make a % donation to cancer reshearch of your profits

and you will have my respect  but please try and invent a light for yourself you will be a whole load more satisfied than cloning someone elses work

I truly believe you have learnt from this and as said before I have no hard feelings for you and yep feel freeto ask me questions and I will help you out if I know the answers.

Keep building Cheers Trout

anyways here are a few pics of what is going on over here

these are Deestas and my lights  the one on the left is a triple MCE I am building for one of Deestas customers  .a pretty mean light with plenty of lumens  and really well machined .

the one on the right is the original Troutlight and being built today for a guy in the USA  Who has also bought the one in the centre which is a prototype redesign of the troutlight I was going to use it for the first XPG leds as a test bed  but it was claimed before it was half machined

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/amticoman/Picture044.jpg

I wanted to upgrade the cooling as the now XPGs will run at 1000ma and may create a bit more heat

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/amticoman/Picture047.jpg

I also had a brainwave whilst messing with some leds and optics that there was a whole load of lumens that never make it out of the housing so I want to use them to light up the front wheel area so this is an experiment see also this thread over on MTBR http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=538590 It is a different light and not yet finished

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/amticoman/Picture046.jpg

Also a few pics of some of my other projects

this little baby is a project both Deesta and myself are working on also for the new leds  should be 1000lumens with integrated batteries and 3 hour runtime.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/amticoman/All%20in%20one/lightfamily029.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/amticoman/All%20in%20one/lightfamily037.jpg

and then there is the insane quad mk2 an unfinished project

3200 lumens

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/amticoman/INSANE%20QUAD%20MCE/Picture031.jpg

So that is what we are about  Steve (Deesta ) and myself  help each  other out

He does the CNC machining  and designed his light  I designed mine and did the prototype on a mill and lathe in my garage  and Steve then tidied up the design and cncs some for me .

and as the black one in the top pic is my last casing  I am hoping he is going to do me some more pretty soon when I have finished testing 

Sorry for the long post and pics but I just wanted to fill you all in with a bit of the history

Cheers Trout