thysmeades

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple of questions.

- Do the light switches have more than one setting ? if so,

- What are the various burn times on the various settings, with the 4 & 8 hr battery packs?

- What are the light outputs on the various settings?

The Thug2009-07-31 03:15:24

So here are my efforts.  One might say it's for those who prefer a more industrial look.

20090731_032507_Version_0_1_to_.JPG

So attempt 1 (on the right) was a copy of the housing we got from cutter electronics.  I left the light running indoors at max power and the nylon covers on the end swelled from the heat and fell off... so plan B (middle) was the same thing but with al end caps.  That worked okay but at this stage I burned/shorted/generally cocked up the driver so that ended that.  A fourth model (missing in the clutter at home) went along the same lines but was miles too heavy.  If I can find it, it could be used on my motor bike perhaps... anyway, design was going in the wrong direction at this point.  so then version 0.5 is on the left and is being used (when the bicycle is in one piece).

It's got 4 Cree LEDs supposedly producing somewhere around 1000 lumens.  For us layman out there that really translates to f@#$@ bright.

And then just so you know what the ends look like:

Front

20090731_032602_V0_5_Front.JPG

Back

20090731_032636_V0_5_Back.JPG

So now the next steps will be making it a little shorter (currently about 80mm) as the heat-sinking seems to work very well whilst in use, and I could probably get away with a much shorter model.  and then all in one diameter could be more aesthetically pleasing.......

and then maybe I'll consider polishing and finishing.

but as I said: thys's stuff is niiiiicccceeee!!

instead of guessing, you could drastically approach the optimal mass and size for your casing/heatsink if you know the max heat output for your units. Also, the size will be further reduced when taking into account the fact that you have forced flow over the structure while riding, but you have to compromise there somewhat as you dont want the max heat to overpower your cooling capacity when the bike is at standstill.

But well done. Awesome seeing the innovation on display in this thread :)

Nice work' date=' thysmeades!

Are you now the SA agent for troutie-mtb of mtbr forum fame? smiley1.gif

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=487467

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=493687

[/quote']

Are you also the agent for brighter-lights.com now?

The flash lights which Brighter-lights and thys used make their housings from are (were?) available from Midas.

I got 4 while they were on special for R80 and am also in the process of turning them into MTB lights. Going slowly due to time constraints...

yes' date=' correct Droo, but that would depend on the quality of the driver and how the light elements in a set are selected, ie matched to offer the same impedance to all emitters. However the better driver has a feedback loop for each emitter thus preventing any output from being overdriven and thus essentially maxes out or kicks in an Overvoltage protection which not necessarily takes out the whole driver. Again, choice of driver.  It's all part of quality control in the whole process.

Good discussion. :)

[/quote']

Multi channel drivers are generally expensive and bulky, not suitable for MTB lights. Also, the multi channel ones often end up driving multiple strings, usually in applications like signage and general lighting, giving a measure of redundancy in case of failure.

Actually, scratch the expensive part. Any decent driver is expensive. (if anyone can disprove this last bit, please tell me where you get the exception to the rule)

Yes good drivers are expensive and once you go for multi channel even more so. To avoid linear dimming, you unfortunately have no choice but to use an expensive driver.

LEDs in series with a bflex driver is probably the best affordable choice for a MTB light. Parallel with a bflex driver is not a good idea, as thys has explained.

With constant voltage source, parallel is better, but not with constant current drive. With LEDs stick to constant current in series.

I have not had one LED fail during use.

The Westrand is going to be awesome during summer!!!!! Might have to cancel the night rides when the grass gets to long.....seems I'll be able to set them alight with these babies

Not to spoil all your fun here... :)

But I would be cautious to buy anything from Thys. A few months back he approached me and showed interest to buy one of my lights. Next, he wanted to become my biz partner and offered his professional photography services to me.

For someone who wanted to buy a light, he asked way too many questions. Even wanted to hear where I buy my parts from. At the time I thought what cheek! It cost me many lessons before I found reliable suppliers.

Anyway, his emails continued. Wanted to SEE my Solo 580. I then found out that he asked questions to one of my customers... what batteries, what this and that?

In the meantime I stopped replying because I was figuring that this guy just want to see my lights to get ideas for his lights.

So when I saw this thread at first I was upset and then I relaxed because the lights mean nothing without reliable battery systems.

It's when he posted the ref to Troutie-MTB when I smelled grass. He called him his mate in the UK... just like he wanted to be buddies with me to get closer to my lights.

So I send Troutie-MTB the link - I didn't say anything yet, because it was not my thread. But Troutie-MTB did reply to me... VERY unhappy.

Using Troutie-MTB's photos to market supernova lights is a copyright violation.   

The technology is available now, anyone can build lights. I started out long ago when everything weren't heard of yet... I spend $$$$$'s and hours... So ANYONE can build a light with a little research. But then do research and don't pretend to be mates to steal info.

Use your own stuff, own ideas, or use others idea's for inspiration. Don't steal ideas and or photos. Especially not if you're a professional photographer!

A real engineer uses his own ideas to make money. 

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 1:21 PM

Subject: From thys

I didn?t mention to you that I am a professional photographer and could help you with the new pics of you rev 1 replacement and rev 4 replacement. Product pics as well as nite shots / performance pics. For website/brochures/marketing.

Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:44 AM

Subject: LED program

Hi Johannes, hope the solo 580 is coming on nicely. Can't wait to see
it. Good luck! .......You probably don't need it but it helps an amateur like me.

To: "Brighter-Lights" <johannes@brighter-lights.com>

Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:17 AM

Subject: LED program

No worries, you keep at it. Your hard work will be rewarded!
Can't wait to see the final product.
Regards
Thys

Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 12:17 PM

Subject: Smart charger

Hi Johannes, hope all is well, can?t wait to see the final product.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Do you have a smart charger to sell. If so, how much? My cheapie battery charger just packed up.

Regards

Thys

Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 1:35 PM

Subject: RE: Smart charger

Hi Johannes,

I need to charge 4 li-ion cells, (arranged in series in a homemade cell pack) but I want a smart charger which will charge from 2 ? 5 or 6 cells (I will eventually get some lithium polymers when I find the right ones)

I was thinking of buying this one for about $40.00. Have you got something for me. I am actually desperate at the moment as my cells just ran out of juice this morning (half way on my ride) so I had to ride home in the dark!!

If you can help please let know.

Thys

Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 2:42 PM

Subject: RE: Smart charger

But you haven?t answered my question. Do you have for me, I will pay, in dollars!!!!

J

Even a second hand one you use to charge your penlights for your remotes!!!

Please help!!

Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:14 PM

Subject: solo 580

Hi Johannes, hope you are going alright. Getting worried that you are stuck in a hole somewhere and never coming out.

Can?t wait to see the light. Are you almost there?

Remember to contact me if you need pics done.

Thys

Brighter-Lights2009-07-31 07:24:31

Troutie-MTB is waiting activation on THE HUB and will post when that happens.

Here's a few extractions from his email to me:

Hi Johannes

"Now I feel very used and abused , you story is very similar to how he approached me asking questions.
He even nearly bought a light kit from me and then backed out and only bought the leds/optics/maxflex he used in his light .

but now having read the postings on your link I am pretty pissed off .

I will sign up to the hub and put everyone right on how I feel about the blatant rip off of our designs .

And the fact he is using my beamshots in his posts is out of order .

Thanks again for bringing it to my notice I will be posting something up soon when I have cooled down a bit

Cheers Chris

Brighter - Lights thanks for the heads up.

If those are someone elses photo's thats not cool!

That is not nice. Guess I will have to save more and get the BL one as originally planned.

Hi Guys, if I have offended, I appologise. Not my intention to get anybodys back up. This whole thing started out of an interest to buy a light, but eventually built one myself. I do not claim to be a great designer or engineer.

Johannes, sorry to have offended. I never intended to sell lights, and really did want to help you get your business of the ground with the offering of my services. I just got such an overwhelming response from my friends for lights, i thought it may be a great opportunity.

With regards to Troutie, please see my email to him below and his response:

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12"><>

To: Chris Hadaway

Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:00 AM

Subject: six xpe R2 bike lite

Hi Chris, hope that you are

well.

I am complete with my new light.

I first wanted to check that you didn?t mind, as I based it on your light. If

it?s ok with you, I want to post it on the forum, and give you credit of

course!

If you DO mind that I

copied/based it on your design, then I will rather keep it to myself.

Kind regards

Thys

His response

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12"><>

Hi Thys.

I dont mind at all , In

fact I am quite pleased

and look forward to

seeing it  are you happy with it .

Cheers Chris

I took this him being ok with my using a design based on his.

I did use his beamshots in the uk (which would be exactly representative of the lights I would make) as I had nothing of my own, as far as copyright imfrigments, I am not sure that open domain forum material is copyrighted, but have mailed troutie to appologise for not asking his permission and to see if he would rather have me remove them. i have also asked him to let know if he would prefer me to remove the pocket rocket from my range of lights. (so guys out there with your heart set on them, rather wait till I hear back from Mr Trout)

I am not afraid to eat a little humble pie, life if too short to bear grudges. Again, to all who have read the post, sorry If I have mislead or in anyway taken credit for something which has not been my doing.

I did in the very first few lines of my post, give credit to trout for inspiration and advice.

regards

Thys

Was waiting for a response from the "other" PE light builder - was wondering if there was a relationship.

Hey BL it is always a problem with these sites - you share too much knowledge and then someone copies your ideas. I have spent many hours on the hub following your and ML's (and others) trials with lights. Unfortunately the knowledge shared made it easy for others to get the knowledge - hell I even thought of building a light.....