Woman design??

Matchstix

A Friend of mine is looking at bying herself the scott contessa

She has long legs and a short torso

So I went to check out the geometry of the contessa vs the normal spark. .

The Geometries are exactly the same.. . the only diffrence is a shorter stem and the paint job from what I can see.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in the intrests of all concerned (to date me), a photo of said long legs would aid in the formulation of a hypothesis which, in the fullness of time, would enable a great many people, of varying levels of intelligence, to absolutely slate me for qriting all this drivel.

Photo of long legs? Big%20smile

Gasping she is my Physio. .  If I post pics I will be in a hell of alot more pain then usual on my next visit which is usually painfullWink

Gasping she is my Physio. .  If I post pics I will be in a hell of alot more pain then usual on my next visit which is usually painfullWink

Time to man-up son!smiley2.gif Picks on the couch!

I have also looked at these bikes and wondered WTF is the difference. Watch if these don;t become like golf balls for ladies - suprising how many men play with them becuase of "forgiveness" or some other twoddle.

Watch some absolute waldo pitch up at a race with a lovely pink stripe running across the top tube.... 
Gasping2009-07-31 06:44:51

Her speciality is nerves and Acupuncture. .

The Trek Fuel EX WSD Large frame is the same as the Normal Fuel EX Small frame

Women bikes have different dimensions and parts. Just read the latest Tread.

Not all manufactures.

Many only change the colour, fit a women's specific saddle and a shorter stem... i.e. except for the colour, nothing that you cannot do not do yourself.

I seem to recall when I was looking for a new bike that the Giant Anthem X women's did seem to have different geometry.  Thankfully I didn't like the geometry (found it a bit upright for me) and preferred the men's version.  I say 'thankfully' because ummmmmm the colour was hideous (pink).  I know colour isn't a good reason to reject a bike but PINK Dead?? 

If its the right bike I think it might however be possible to get it in blue (baby blue that is...... Confused) as I subsequently found out. 

Personally my 'mens' Anthem X1 is perfect for me (and a nice colour Smile).

I guess it depends on your body dimensions. I'm short and have little arms and legs, the "boy-type" bikes are too big for me, which is why my little 15 is perfect.

If your physio friend has long legs she may feel more at home on a  "men's" frame which accomodates the longer legs.

Happy shopping!

Read up a bit about WSD a while ago. Handle bars are sometimes shorter for the not so broad shoulders, something one can tweak on any bike.

One source had something about WSD's having saddle more to the front, thus more above the BB, "for morepower". Question then is why don't we all do it like that then?

I think shorter top tube or stem is all that makes sense. Rest can be taken care of with proper bike setup.

There are numerous 'compact' bikes on the market that are ideal for women who typically have long legs/short torso. A mans bike (which I have ridden for about 30 years) will not do because with a short body, the reach toward to handlebars causes undue pain in the neck and shoulders. I have a compact Merida and the seat is raised high to compensate. I bought it from a relative in the business and sat on a trainer and had it adjusted to suit various riding positions, too.

do mtn bikes come in compact frames ?

would the same 'rules" that apply to road bike also apply to mtn bikes then?

Just bought a medium giant trance 3  (05/06) depending on who's side you are on in the debate and she feels a little uncomfortable as she says is "feels" like the wheels are bigger and she is sitting higher off the ground.

The geometry on a WSD can be very important to those of us who are vertically challenged, especially when it comes to MTB. A few of the advantages are:

Narrower handlebars for more precise steering

Smaller diameter grips for better control

Short-reach brake levers

And....of course that saddle

Its definitely worth test riding both specific and non-specific.

Personally wouldn't go back to non-specific fit

Women bikes have different dimensions and parts. Just read the latest Tread.

Women have different parts and dimensions, just read Contis posts!!