Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Thanks to a very generous Hubber (Le Turbo) who was willing to let me have a pair of classic Campy Shamal wheels at a very reasonable price, the Colnago Bititan is now another step closer to how I would like it to be. It runs like a dream on its new Continental Gatorskin tubbies and looks like the wheels were designed especially for it. It is my first ride to run tubbies, so, here's to no punctures!

Argue with me if you like, but bikes don't come much prettier than this.

Now, if anyone has a longish Campy aero seat post in 27,2 mm lying around for a reasonable price.......

Nice ride, and I have to agree, you just cant beat the looks of a Colnago(or most Italian bikes for that matter).

Good luck in finding a long campy aero seatpost. I have 1 but its short, hence my move to the Campag Titanium one.

Seat posts back then where short because thats how guys rode their bikes.

Rule of thumb was wrap your hand around the seapost and it should touch the frame and the underside of the saddle...Its just how bikes were made.

Maybe try look for a nice Campag Ti seatpost.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to a very generous Hubber (Le Turbo) who was willing to let me have a pair of classic Campy Shamal wheels at a very reasonable price, the Colnago Bititan is now another step closer to how I would like it to be. It runs like a dream on its new Continental Gatorskin tubbies and looks like the wheels were designed especially for it. It is my first ride to run tubbies, so, here's to no punctures!

Now, if anyone has a longish Campy aero seat post in 27,2 mm lying around for a reasonable price.......

That looks hawt! Can't wait to see it in the flesh titanium

Edited by Beattbox

................Good luck in finding a long campy aero seatpost. I have 1 but its short, hence my move to the Campag Titanium one.

Seat posts back then where short because thats how guys rode their bikes.

Rule of thumb was wrap your hand around the seapost and it should touch the frame and the underside of the saddle...Its just how bikes were made.

Maybe try look for a nice Campag Ti seatpost.

Finally the penny drops! I couldn't figure out why they are always so short.

Finally the penny drops! I couldn't figure out why they are always so short.

Look at any of the old pictures of guys like Merckx and they all have short seatposts, raised stems.

Rule of thumb for frame size was stand over the frame barefoot and the top tube should just touch your undercarriage, Closed fist around the seatpost for saddle height and stem length was calculated by pushing your elbow against the front of your saddle, open hand and about 2 fingers till you touch the back of the bars... basic bike setup, fine tune on a ride.

How things have changed...

They're definitely where they needed to be. That's looking awesome!

Meant to do this ages ago!

Well done Le Turbo, true spirit of classic bike guys.

Meant to do this ages ago!

Well done Le Turbo, true spirit of classic bike guys.

The willingness of people to help, be it with know-how, advice or parts, is really something! As for sharing knowledge, there are some real cycling "encyclopedias" on here! :thumbup:

Wanted, Shimano RS Eighty carbon front wheel please, pjbronk@telkomsa.net or 0828180030 [emoji120]

Morning Johan, put this in the ad section too.

You've probably got more chance of a response there.