Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks very nice.

I'm going through a similar project - also with my first bike - but adding a MTB group set to make touring a bit easier. It's certainly a pleasure to have friction shifters to accommodate whatever speed drivetrain, rather than have to use specific STIs! I wonder how long it will take me to remember to reach down to change gear rather than flick the brake lever?! ;-)

Some work-in-progress pictures of my 1982 Raleigh Royal project.

As suggested elsewhere it is indeed amazing what you can achieve with sunlight, paraffin, al foil, brasso, a girlfriend who could colour-match for Plascon, nail-varnish, wax and a lot of elbow grease!

post-77414-0-75907600-1442824457_thumb.jpg

post-77414-0-95066200-1442824671_thumb.jpg

post-77414-0-66534100-1442824919_thumb.jpg

Some work-in-progress pictures of my 1982 Raleigh Royal project.

As suggested elsewhere it is indeed amazing what you can achieve with sunlight, paraffin, al foil, brasso, a girlfriend who could colour-match for Plascon, nail-varnish, wax and a lot of elbow grease!

attachicon.gifraleigh forks.jpg

attachicon.gifraleigh badge.jpg

That is a really nice looking bike. Love the colour.

That is a really nice looking bike. Love the colour.

Ta muchly. Sort of a British racing green.....

Back-in-the-day a very modern and desirable colour, as I recollect. Now, even more so! :clap:

Just a bit more TLC required, need to make a drop-bolt for the rear caliper and some odds and sods (down tube protector eventually!), and then test-ride time. Strangely the last time I rode it, about 2 years ago, in the Cradle 2 okes, riding in the opposite direction, rubber-necked me and nearly crashed......

Hi guys. I have a 1980's Peugeot frame that's 58cm big. According to all charts I should be riding a 54cm bicycle. Would anyone be interested in swopping a similar condition/age/type frame with me?

I want to get the bicycle sprayed but would like to see if I can get a proper size frame first.

If you want to see the frame I've got some photos on the site from when I started getting components together.

gallery_64206_1588_171792.jpggallery_64206_1588_700700.jpg

Are through seat bolts still widely available from local bike shops (frame below)?

post-77414-0-92627000-1442832522_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fat Boab

Are through seat bolts still widely available from local bike shops (frame below)?

Try Westdene Cycles around the corner from University of Johannesburg. They've been around a really long time and do carry stock of older bike parts.

Try Westdene Cycles around the corner from University of Johannesburg. They've been around a really long time and do carry stock of older bike parts.

Ta muchly!

Ta muchly!

I might have a spare in my box.

let me check

PM me if I haven't got back to you in a few days (or if you come right)

will only  cost you postage  :thumbup:

Hi Guys ......

We are looking at a retro ride at the Herald Cycle Tour in Feb again .....please this is a chance to have the input from a National perspective for the Retro guys to get together. We are going to organise the bikes to go on show again which created much interest during the registration for the competitors. The hall has full security because this is where the exhibitors showed and sold their wares.

I am keen and will let you have details by latest Mon am. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Have you ordered from Cyclomondo yet?