Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Found these 2 cranks in pretty beat up condition in the garage. Wish I took before pics. Here is what they turned out like. Polished then engraved. Very happy with the end result

Looks good. What exactly did you engrave and who did it?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know too please.

Looks good. What exactly did you engrave and who did it?

Once I was done polishing I found that the Campagnolo 'record' 'chorus' 175 was gone. Then asked his to engrave it back on. his got a laser engraver, the mark is very good lol well at least to my eye. I'll try and take some more pics later and post it up

Once I was done polishing I found that the Campagnolo 'record' 'chorus' 175 was gone. Then asked his to engrave it back on. his got a laser engraver, the mark is very good lol well at least to my eye. I'll try and take some more pics later and post it up

I saw a closeup of the engraving and it's really good. An improvement on the original IMHO

Here some close ups

Very nice. Always an issue when you Polish cranks the markings dissappear. Well done, they look very good.

Edited by quintonb

IMG_2054.JPG

I have this Bianchi not sure of the model to sell. I finished the build with an old Suntour groupset excluding wheels and BB. Anybody that can give me an estimate on the value. Frame was cleaned of all old paint and whole frame was I think nickel plated. Then resprayed, decals added and clearcoated. Will post some pictures of current status later.

How much? I might be keen

Apologies if my query is a little off-topic, but this thread and the participants seems the best placed to offer some words of advice....

I am starting a small project to return my 1982 Raleigh Royal, which has stood for a number of years, to its original function, namely touring. My question relates to the frame. I'm not looking to strip and re-paint, re-decal etc, as the condition isn't too bad; anyway I'm on a tight budget. But I'd rather clean up and perhaps touch-up some chips to make the most of the frame as-is. 

How should I go about cleaning, touching-up and polishing the frame? Anything more than gentle-washing with warm soapy water, a bit of t-cutting and waxing?

Any advice would be much appreciated.....

Apologies if my query is a little off-topic, but this thread and the participants seems the best placed to offer some words of advice....

I am starting a small project to return my 1982 Raleigh Royal, which has stood for a number of years, to its original function, namely touring. My question relates to the frame. I'm not looking to strip and re-paint, re-decal etc, as the condition isn't too bad; anyway I'm on a tight budget. But I'd rather clean up and perhaps touch-up some chips to make the most of the frame as-is. 

How should I go about cleaning, touching-up and polishing the frame? Anything more than gentle-washing with warm soapy water, a bit of t-cutting and waxing?

I have a few bikes that have been hanging in other peoples garages for years that I returned to its former glory with a bit of lukewarm water and soap and a good waxing. I use a bit of aluminium foil and water to clean off any surface rust. All the best with the clean, post some photos of the bike.

It's a retro bike, so the the right thread IMHO.

Ditto what Eppie says.

Obviously a complete strip first, then I generally start off by a good diesel wash of everything, a stiff brush (not metal brush), gets off all the old grease etc, but gentle enough no to bother the paint. Then soap (dishwashing liquid for me) and water and a good (car) polish.

TO ALL IN CPT

"Hi all, please join us this Saturday, 5th September from 10am to 2pm, @ Re-Play Cycles & Sport Parklands for a "Show & Tell" of old school retro bikes & single speed bikes. Bring yours along & let's all compare notes & have a good old chat!

We will also announce our first coffee ride of our "Classic Steel Riders" club being held on Saturday morning 12th September.

Cheers Glen"

Thanks Glenzito.

Was good to meet you at last.

Thanks DJR for the wheels and very good to meet you too, hope you enjoy the meal! 

Would have been nice to meet a few other CAs, but I had to leave early to drive home. Maybe the next time!!!

I have a few bikes that have been hanging in other peoples garages for years that I returned to its former glory with a bit of lukewarm water and soap and a good waxing. I use a bit of aluminium foil and water to clean off any surface rust. All the best with the clean, post some photos of the bike.

Ta muchly for the advice - will feedback.

It's a retro bike, so the the right thread IMHO.

Ditto what Eppie says.

Obviously a complete strip first, then I generally start off by a good diesel wash of everything, a stiff brush (not metal brush), gets off all the old grease etc, but gentle enough no to bother the paint. Then soap (dishwashing liquid for me) and water and a good (car) polish.

Ta muchly - will feedback.