Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Hi Guys

Given that we are focused on SA frames at the moment please could you fellow hubbers provide me with any information on this frame I picked up a few days ago.

It's a Reynolds 653 steel frame custom designed and hand built by Bill Lange (see the decal on the top tube). It's a 63cm frame as stamped on the BB but measures 61cm c-t-c (65cm c-t-top of extended seat lug). Top tube measures 58cm.

The BB is embossed with Reynolds on both top sides with the following stamped on the bottom of the BB on the left: BL 69 653. Also on the BB is the size 63.

All the lugs and BB are nickel plated although the BB and lower head tube lug are painted over.

The fork is also embossed with Reynolds on both top sides.

The rear brake cable passes through the top tube on the right and exits on the left. This appears to have been a typical de Lange trait and is similar to my Bill Lange "McIntosh"TT frame I have.

The dropouts are Shimano HG. Quite nice with rear dropouts outside of the seat tube triangle.

Ignore the Cinelli decal, it came with the bike and I will try and remove without damaging it or the frame.

Here is the interesting part............ The bike has been coated with a type of plastic paint covering in black with the 80's neon art work. This coating has been stripped or burnt off on the down tube and around the BB and below the front derailleur clamp. Why, I don't know. I have never seen coating like this before. You can see the coating on the head tube.

I learnt that Lange manufactured frames for Robbie McIntosh which Robbie sold through his retail outlet(s). I remember the LBS in Randburg CBD and rode from there a few times in the late 80's.

Took photos this evening so not the best quality and doesn't show the neon colour too well.

I don't have any information on this frame other than stated above.

All info and comments would be appreciated.

Not sure what I will do with the frame as it's too big for me.

Hi Loose Cog

That is one big frame! Please write an email to Tom Learmont - the author of Cycling in South Africa published in 1990. He knew Bill personally along with all the other big names in sa bike building. His email is tom@discobolus.co.za. His brother Alex is super knowledgeable on all SA frame builders - learmont@iafrica.com. Mention my name - Justin, and you will get a full-on response.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

South African made frames are good, just need to get the word out there. We need to add a page to Classic Rendezvous about SA frame builders. Others will pick it up from there.

A CHALLENGE.

Let's put all our knowledge together and submit to the above, let's add a page on SA frame builders.

I added what I know (I know a little more now) a few pages ago.

But let's do it.

I contacted the guy at classic rendexvous and sent him a whole lot of info on SA frame builders, he professed interest but as yet no recognition on his site,,,

Hi Guys

Given that we are focused on SA frames at the moment please could you fellow hubbers provide me with any information on this frame I picked up a few days ago.

It's a Reynolds 653 steel frame custom designed and hand built by Bill Lange (see the decal on the top tube). It's a 63cm frame as stamped on the BB but measures 61cm c-t-c (65cm c-t-top of extended seat lug). Top tube measures 58cm.

The BB is embossed with Reynolds on both top sides with the following stamped on the bottom of the BB on the left: BL 69 653. Also on the BB is the size 63.

All the lugs and BB are nickel plated although the BB and lower head tube lug are painted over.

The fork is also embossed with Reynolds on both top sides.

The rear brake cable passes through the top tube on the right and exits on the left. This appears to have been a typical de Lange trait and is similar to my Bill Lange "McIntosh"TT frame I have.

The dropouts are Shimano HG. Quite nice with rear dropouts outside of the seat tube triangle.

Ignore the Cinelli decal, it came with the bike and I will try and remove without damaging it or the frame.

Here is the interesting part............ The bike has been coated with a type of plastic paint covering in black with the 80's neon art work. This coating has been stripped or burnt off on the down tube and around the BB and below the front derailleur clamp. Why, I don't know. I have never seen coating like this before. You can see the coating on the head tube.

I learnt that Lange manufactured frames for Robbie McIntosh which Robbie sold through his retail outlet(s). I remember the LBS in Randburg CBD and rode from there a few times in the late 80's.

Took photos this evening so not the best quality and doesn't show the neon colour too well.

I don't have any information on this frame other than stated above.

All info and comments would be appreciated.

Not sure what I will do with the frame as it's too big for me.

Also remember that bike shop at near where mnet are now.... funny how different jhb is now!

I contacted the guy at classic rendexvous and sent him a whole lot of info on SA frame builders, he professed interest but as yet no recognition on his site,,,

Thanks Tk, I'll send them an email today, lets see if we can chivvy them up a bit!!

Thanks for the info. Any idea on the coating used? I have never seen it before. By the way the frame feels pretty light although I haven't weighed it yet.

ADVICE ADVICE ADVICE

As some of you know, I'm riding Eroica Britannia (all things being equal) in about 4 weeks.

Looking at the course profile, about 25% of the ride is on 'white road', I guess this is fine gravel.

What size tyres does one use for this???

I'm assuming that 23x622s will be too thin and that maybe 25s are too thin also.

Should I be riding on 'hybrid', sort of cross tyres???

I've not done this before, so I don't know.

EDIT: Reading Sheldon Brown, maybe I should have a 35 treaded tyre on front and a 25 on the back. Any thoughts?

Edited by heyyou

ADVICE ADVICE ADVICE

As some of you know, I'm riding Eroica Britannia (all things being equal) in about 4 weeks.

Looking at the course profile, about 25% of the ride is on 'white road', I guess this is fine gravel.

What size tyres does one use for this???

I'm assuming that 23x622s will be too thin and that maybe 25s are too thin also.

Should I be riding on 'hybrid', sort of cross tyres???

I've not done this before, so I don't know.

EDIT: Reading Sheldon Brown, maybe I should have a 35 treaded tyre on front and a 25 on the back. Any thoughts?

Will 35's fit on your bike? I had a set of 28 gatorskins which were really comfy.

After the clearance issue the next problem is whether the rims will take the larger size tyre. The tread is probably just as important as given its June (Summer in the UK) it is likely to be a bit muddy and therefore a tread that displaces mud would be ideal. Having ridden MTB in SA, Botswana, Tanzania, Nigeria I never had a need for a mud displacing tyre until riding in the UK. Only after becoming completely bogged down one day in the Epping Forest did I begin to realise the importance of the tread and understand the reviewers comments in the foreign mags.

Riding in thicker sand requires you to let out air to get better traction similar to a 4x4. Therefore carry a good hand pump (why not one of those 70's chromed ones we used).

Lucky bugger being able to worry about a ride in the Midlands when all I have have to worry about is which road in Sandton am I most likely not being run off the road by cars or least likely to be mugged!

.............................., I'm riding Eroica Britannia.................................

My somewhat dyslexic mind read that as Erotica Brittanica and I thought "wow, that must be the biggest oxymoron ever! :ph34r:

Edited by DJR

My (semi) retro build. 1989 Daccordi Mitico with 80's ITM seaport, 3ttt Grand Prix handlebar, Campagnolo groupset (Chorus UT crank, Centaur skeleton calipers, Record carbon Ergo's, Record front hub, Vento rear hub), San Marco Zoncolan saddle and Time RXS pedals.post-1186-1401713592,7658.jpgpost-1186-1401713592,7658.jpgpost-1186-1401713592,7658.jpg

post-1186-1401713605,6145.jpg

post-1186-1401713614,7569.jpg

Edited by Flippa

Very nice looking bike there. Quality old frames need to be ridden, even if with newer group sets and wheels. Let us know where you located so we can look out for your red machine?

The nice thing about the current campag equipment, it doesn't look out of place on a 25 year old bike.

Good looking bike.

Very nice looking bike there. Quality old frames need to be ridden, even if with newer group sets and wheels. Let us know where you located so we can look out for your red machine?

The nice thing about the current campag equipment, it doesn't look out of place on a 25 year old bike.

Good looking bike.

Thanks guys. I'm Alberton based, so generally ride South of Jhb, Lido route, Walkerville, circus, etc. The nice thing about this frame is that it has modern hub spacing i.e. 130mm, so wheels weren't a problem and also Campagnolo still makes Italian threaded BB cups for their UT cranksets, so it was all relatively easy to "modernise". Maiden voyage this weekend, in between training for Dusi2c.

Thanks Tk, I'll send them an email today, lets see if we can chivvy them up a bit!!

Well I did.

I emailed a very nice query and NADA.

I'll email again, but perhaps they are not interested!

Edit: A very sexy Daccordi Flippa.

Edited by heyyou

Feedback please!

I've just restored an early 90s Daccordi with period Mirage groupo (93 as far as I can make out).

What I want feedback on is whether I should rather use Shim 600 tricolour?

600 is certainly better equipment than Mirage and the early stuff is just as sexy, but it's not Italian!!!!

I can upload pics if it makes any difference.