Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

And so after months of searching we finally obtained a Lotus and Giant time trial frames. Thank you very much to the seller for agreeing to sell these beauties. Be assured that they are in safe hands and we will restore them back to their former glory.

The task of finding the correct period group sets now begins. So lock up your better halves and allow us into your stores. 

attachicon.gifP1060494.jpgattachicon.gifP1060495.jpgattachicon.gifP1060496.jpgattachicon.gifP1060498.jpgattachicon.gifP1060500.jpg

Absolute beauts, you're one lucky loosecog!

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys

I this Exocet downhill frame.  Im guessing it was locally made in the 90's, but actually have no clue.

Does anyone possibly have any info on the frame etc.

Thanks 

Around this time!!!!!!!

post-25781-0-10803300-1429677524.jpg

And so after months of searching we finally obtained a Lotus and Giant time trial frames. Thank you very much to the seller for agreeing to sell these beauties. Be assured that they are in safe hands and we will restore them back to their former glory.

The task of finding the correct period group sets now begins. So lock up your better halves and allow us into your stores. 

What happened that they stopped making those "weird" shaped carbon frames? UCI rules? Conventional triangle frame stiffer? 

Absolute beauts, you're one lucky loosecog!

Unfortunately the frames are not mine. I will have the privilege to restorer them for a mate and have the first test ride.

What happened that they stopped making those "weird" shaped carbon frames? UCI rules? Conventional triangle frame stiffer?

I guess. Technology moves on and man's ability to shape and strengthen materials has allowed great advances in bicycle parts.

I am always amazed at just how heavy some old BB and crank sets were compared to some new hollow tech group sets today.

These type of bikes are not my thing but the Lotus shape is growing on me.

You will recall the Banesto Pinarello we restored a few weeks ago was also in this same shape.

The three bikes are going to make a pretty picture.

Will take some tomorrow with my camera and put on. My old Blackberry not so great at taking pictures.

Two pics of the oval top tube. The flattening of the tube in the mid section is noticeable. post-51655-0-10515300-1429699687_thumb.jpgpost-51655-0-57799300-1429699735_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eppie

Two pics of the oval top tube. The flattening of the tube in the mid section is noticeable. attachicon.gifOval1.jpgattachicon.gifOval2.jpg

That Alan looks like it is in VGC.

One of my Alan track bikes has the same oval top tubing.

Two pics of the oval top tube. The flattening of the tube in the mid section is noticeable. attachicon.gifOval1.jpgattachicon.gifOval2.jpg

Man that looks dodgy!!!!!

I suggest you retire it to my bedroom.

So after a few months, I've finally decided to strip my Columbus SL Pinarello Treviso of her Shimano 105 components. With the intention of installing a 9 speed Veloce setup, I've run into my first dilemma. The wheelset I want to use (Gipiemme Tecno 416's) is running with a 10 speed Shimano freehub and I can't seem to find a suitable Campy replacement to use my 9 speed Veloce cassette.

Would finding a 9 speed Shimano cassette (lower range one with all the sprockets seperate) and using the existing spacers from my Campy cassette work on the 10 speed Shimano freehub?  

post-64130-0-17230600-1429729103_thumb.jpeg

So after a few months, I've finally decided to strip my Columbus SL Pinarello Treviso of her Shimano 105 components. With the intention of installing a 9 speed Veloce setup, I've run into my first dilemma. The wheelset I want to use (Gipiemme Tecno 416's) is running with a 10 speed Shimano freehub and I can't seem to find a suitable Campy replacement to use my 9 speed Veloce cassette.

Would finding a 9 speed Shimano cassette (lower range one with all the sprockets seperate) and using the existing spacers from my Campy cassette work on the 10 speed Shimano freehub?  

Try a 9 speed Shimano cassette first, I know of guys who have it working well. I believe there is only something like a 0.05mm difference between them.

Oterwise, I'd highly recommend a ShiftMate Model 1. I've used on them on several installs (only 8 and 10 speed) and they work brilliantly. Not cheap, but cheaper than new wheels.

Shimano cassettes (the cheaper ones anyway) are held together by metal dowels, peened on each side.

It's easy to drill the dowels out to get the single cogs.

You can then use the Campy spacers and any ratio you like.

It then becomes a choice of chains, Shimano chain will give slightly better shifting (noticeable ??????) than a Campy chain!!!!

Edited by HeyYou

Thanks for all the advice guys, I have the same issue with using a NOS set of Mavic Hellium wheels I picked up a few months back.

Badsam, those wheels look great and it's going to be a great looking bike when you finished.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I have the same issue with using a NOS set of Mavic Hellium wheels I picked up a few months back.

Badsam, those wheels look great and it's going to be a great looking bike when you finished.

Helium's are my favourite wheels, love the red bling.

Sorry guys, me again still with the Alan. I am fascinated with the small details on vintage bikes so here are some pics of some of the small detail on the Alan I posted earlier.post-51655-0-18559700-1429824036_thumb.jpgpost-51655-0-83420200-1429824055_thumb.jpgpost-51655-0-31964200-1429824079_thumb.jpgpost-51655-0-76367700-1429824105_thumb.jpgpost-51655-0-60585500-1429824129_thumb.jpg

I cleaned the old white leather bartape with some handy andy and I was impressed with the condition. The young lady that I bought the bike from tells me that it was her grandfathers. Still had his last Argus number on G836 (1989)so I recon the tape could be 26 years old.post-51655-0-95592900-1429824149_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eppie

I'm building a 1953 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo. Just got the frame back from the paint shop and it is looking amazing.

It is quite a challenge to find components from those early days of cycling, I need the following items to complete the build 1) bottom bracket italian 2) rear brake, universal brev 453949 3) bars usually very narrow 38cm 4) compagnolo skewers. Is there anyone able to assist with securing these parts?

I have attached photographs for anyone interested.

post-7399-0-52859400-1429956112_thumb.jpg

post-7399-0-22725300-1429956150_thumb.jpg

post-7399-0-38260600-1429956677_thumb.jpg