Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

All original 1988 Bridgestone RB2 in unreal condition with original tyres and bar tape,Wolber Gtx rims,and full Exage 300 Sport 6 speed gruppo.

Took her for a little outing on Sunday...and brought her to her new home.

post-30486-0-70103400-1437466659_thumb.jpg

post-30486-0-26798700-1437467114_thumb.jpg

post-30486-0-48654000-1437467137_thumb.jpg

post-30486-0-81964900-1437467176_thumb.jpg

post-30486-0-23134700-1437467210_thumb.jpg

post-30486-0-01195100-1437467268_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All original 1988 Bridgestone RB2 in unreal condition with original tyres and bar tape,Wolber Gtx rims,and full Exage 300 Sport 6 speed gruppo.

Took her for a little outing on Sunday...and brought her to her new home.

That is a great bike in great condition. Great find!!

Just picked up a 1980s Alpina!

post-79551-0-39712000-1437498920.jpg

Here's what I know about it:

Frame & Fork: Alpina (??cm) / steel

Wheelset: Mavic rims

Front Deraillerr: Simplex

Rear Derailleur: Simplex Prestige #S 001 T rear derailleur from the 1970s

Shifters: Shimano 105 #SL-1050 braze-on 6-speed shifters (from 1987?)

Brakes: Gipiemme Crono Sprint brakes and levers (1980s?)

Crankset: Gipiemme Azzurro (Alluminium Alloy)

Cassette: 6 speed, not sure what 

Seatpost: non-original

Saddle: not sure

Handlebars: gipiemme - not sure on specifics

Pedals: PLC2 Look clipless pedals (1980s)

Hubs: Gipiemme Azzurro Front and Rear Hubs (1980s?)

​Anyone know where I can find an original seatpost? and also why the Shimano 105 shifters would have been used instead of the matching simplex ones?

Hi. Can anyone help me with this? Looks fairly original, is it rare, worth something?

Thanks

Sorry to bring this back, I'm looking to maybe make an offer on this bike. 

Any ideas to value anyone please?

post-57300-0-65340700-1437500033_thumb.jpg

Sorry to bring this back, I'm looking to maybe make an offer on this bike.

Any ideas to value anyone please?

Offer an alternative bike - that's his mode of transport...

Agree with Ryan, I bought a nice Bianchi from someone who used it as transport. I gave him some cash and my Orbea so that he would not be without his transport. Normally I recon that bike would be worth between R1000 and R1500-00, but with the Campy parts it is probably worth more.

That was the idea- plus some moolas- just wanted to know ballpark more or less- thanks.

Think of getting him a supermarket MTB with all terrain tyres and then fit a carry rack on the back. More user friendly and easier on the back for the chap.

I tried to make an offer of exchange bike and cash for a beautiful Cinelli one of the gardeners rides around my area. The chap is quite short and the Cinelli is too big for him.

His employer (owner) refused to allow him to exchange the bike. Over the past few months the Cinelli has taken a severe beating and the other day the guy stops me to say he wants to take up my offer.

I told him it was no longer interested as the bike is trashed, brake lever bent, frame scratched to sh@t, etc. Poor chap couldn't understand why I no longer wanted the bike.

​Anyone know where I can find an original seatpost? and also why the Shimano 105 shifters would have been used instead of the matching simplex ones?

Why do you say it's not an original seat post?

What make and size seat post are you after? We may be able to assist.

Remind me on Friday evening to look if I have a spare pair of Simplex gear levers to sell you.

Some lucky punter in Durban is looking forward to restoring this 1950's Holdsworth.

post-44986-0-18034300-1437541537_thumb.jpg

The lug work is nice with unusual seat stay ends that almost look like spear tips. The Cinelli Giro bars and stem are to die for.

Edited by Loose cog

Just picked up a 1980s Alpina!

Simplex shifters are friction.

Riders often, like me at that time too, preferred the click shift, indexed shifting, of the Shimano levers.

I have a set of Shimano EX brake calipers lying in my garage collecting dust.

as far as I know they have never been used, still in the box (box looks a bit battered though)

PM me if you are interested

post-341-0-01009200-1437546407_thumb.jpg

I tried to make an offer of exchange bike and cash for a beautiful Cinelli one of the gardeners rides around my area. The chap is quite short and the Cinelli is too big for him.

His employer (owner) refused to allow him to exchange the bike. Over the past few months the Cinelli has taken a severe beating and the other day the guy stops me to say he wants to take up my offer.

I told him it was no longer interested as the bike is trashed, brake lever bent, frame scratched to sh@t, etc. Poor chap couldn't understand why I no longer wanted the bike.

A beaten up Cinelli is still worth a few grand. I'd be all over that. But then I'm someone who is not afraid to pay a market related price for something special.

IMHO the bike is no longer worth restoring as it will need a full respray and a few parts replaced. I too pay for something special when the numbers weigh up against the item.

The employer cost the chap a more usable replacement bike plus a few grand in the pocket!

Some lucky punter in Durban is looking forward to restoring this 1950's Holdsworth.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The lug work is nice with unusual seat stay ends that almost look like spear tips. The Cinelli Giro bars and stem are to die for.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Wow that is a great project!!