Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi so I have 3 old to very old frames. A wheeler MTB 5000, a diamond back and a really old frame I can't I'd. I'm busy building my downhill so time I do not have. Unless you guys tell me I should build 1 of them due to them being a classic. Will upload pics today

• 2 weeks later...

On Spring Day I rode out to Valverde for a coffee on my Felt Red Baron cruiser. With only 3 gears and weighing +/- 18 Kg's it was a pretty good work out. I replaced the wrap around type handle bars with MTB handlebars for a more sporty feel and better aerodynamics. The whole experience is quite different to an ordinary bike - it forces you to ride at a different tempo! 

post-42494-0-50684400-1536225387_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ibex

On Spring Day I rode out to Valverde for a coffee on my Felt Red Baron cruiser. With only 3 gears and weighing +/- 18 Kg's it was a pretty good work out. I replaced the wrap around type handle bars with MTB handlebars for a more sporty feel and better aerodynamics. The whole experience is quite different to an ordinary bike - it forces you to ride at a different tempo! 

attachicon.gifred baron #4.jpg

The same bike (but with the original handlebars) at the Cape Town Cycle Tour earlier this year.

post-42494-0-57897100-1536225667_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted: I need 2 more pairs of old leather cycling shoes for the rest of team DJR. Sizes UK 8,5 and 9. I don't mind if they are very well used, as long as the leather is still in one piece I can revive them. Loose stitching and scuff marks I can fix. If you have something like this and it is not getting any use, please let me know. I'll pay a reasonable price and shipping.

post-17716-0-32257200-1537682340_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Funny what you find when you venture out of the classifieds... Love this thread. These are my retro (if you can call them retro) bikes. Colnagos are mine and the Eddy Merckx I bought for my son...

That tandem in the background is really interesting ... usually the cross-member was pretty "slim" when the extended seatstays were present.

I have been offered this Motobecane from the 70s

Sorely tempted

Very nice, looks to be in perfect condition. Lovely wrap around seat stay and nice lugs. Fork crown too. Don't hesitate, step through or mixte bikes don't command high prices in SA but are very collectable in Europe. Motobecane is a sought after frame manufacturer. 

Only issue would be trying to get the crank off the BB if it is French. No LBS's in Johannesburg carry French threaded crank pullers!!!